Water supply plumbing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #1

Name: Pat
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
Texas
Water supply plumbing

I need to winterize or drain my 19 ft scamp. I'm a little confused about the water piping lay-out, which valves to turn which way. I realize that it could have been re-plumed; it is a 97 model. I was wondering where I could get a diagram or advice.
patsublett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
best bet, call scamp, they can help if the plumbing is close to original, you can check the document centre, also search for winterizing.
Basically you want to end up with all tanks empty, the water heater( if you have one) isolated, and the lines either blown empty or filled with RV antifreeze.

Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:20 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsublett View Post
I need to winterize or drain my 19 ft scamp. I'm a little confused about the water piping lay-out, which valves to turn which way. I realize that it could have been re-plumed; it is a 97 model. I was wondering where I could get a diagram or advice.
Empty all tanks. Bypass hot water heater. Depending on the hookups there could be 1-3 of them at the hot water tank. Do not put anti-freeze in the hot water heater or your fresh water tank. Access your pump, unhook the in-line from it and hook a piece of tubing or hose with the proper connection on it to the pump or purchase a winterizing kit to hook to the pump to leave permanently. It would have a valve to hook the extra tubing to it and a cap to close it off when you are using the trailer. They are available at RV supply stores and they can tell you how to do it. I've put 3-4 of them on our RV's over the years. I haven't done that to our Casita since the pump is so easy to unhook and put on the extra tubing. Once you hook the tubing to the pump put the tubing in a gallon of RV anti-freeze and turn on one faucet hot and turn it off then cold and turn it off as each one runs pink out. Only do one side at a time . Do all the faucets. Make sure you do the toilet also. Then pour anti-freeze down each drain so they don't freeze. We usually run the anti-freeze through the faucets long enough to fill the traps. It takes us about 1 1/2-2 gallons of anti-freeze to do the Casita. It sounds complicated but after you do it once it is easy and only takes about 5 minutes. When you remove the in-line from the pump have a towel under it as it will empty what's in it from the fresh tank. That is why you must make sure the tank is empty.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:23 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
You asked about which way the valves turn. The handle of the valve should be perpendicular to the pipe when shut off and parallel to the pipe when open.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:37 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Hopefully your hot water heater has a bypass. Given the age, it may not. A hot water heater bypass is very useful and I would install one if you don’t have one now.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Take some pictures of your water tanks and heater, we might be able to tell from the pictures what you are in for
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote