Wave heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Wave heater

Was looking for a heater for my 13 foot Boler and came across the Camco Olympian Catalytic Wave heater. Runs on propane and does not require venting (fresh air recommended). Also no fan so no elec. demand.

Do any of you folks have experience with this model? Good, bad, otherwise? Thanks.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
I have one in my 17' Casita and am quite happy with it. You might find it difficult to permenently mount it with the clearance requirements. 12" above. 4" on sides. 30" in front & 6" below. Zero inches behind
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
Got the smallest size (Wave 3) for our Scamp 13 and it works great! Best thing is not having to hear a blower kick on and off all night. Plus the fact that it doesn't require any electricity. I mounted it under the closet door.
Jeff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP View Post
Was looking for a heater for my 13 foot Boler and came across the Camco Olympian Catalytic Wave heater. Runs on propane and does not require venting (fresh air recommended). Also no fan so no elec. demand.

Do any of you folks have experience with this model? Good, bad, otherwise? Thanks.
This has been discussed here several times, it would be worth a search to see what has been said in the past.

This link will get you started...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ter-35952.html
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Mounting it under the closet door is exactly where I planned. Your closet door doesn't get to hot??

What do you do for fresh air requirements? I have a 3/4 inch gap at the bottom of my ill-fiting door and I could open the roof vent an inch or so. I can't help think about the non-venting requirements of a propane device. I mean, there is still a nasty byproduct of combustion. Last thing I want is to wake up dead!!

Are there any Canadian suppliers for this heater?

Thanks for the replies.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
No, the closet door doesn't get hot. Most of the heat is radiated straight out into the living space. We crack the small window over the stove and a ceiling vent. So far we've only needed the "low" setting to stay comfortable.
Jeff Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have the wave 6 and it's too much..... the wave 3 in my opinion is a better choice like Jeff has.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLP View Post

I have used a Colman Black Cat heater (3000btu) that you screw a small cylinder to, and have found it to be to warm for me in our 13 foot scamp. These catalyst style heaters do put out quite a bit of moisture into the trailer, so be prepared for some water accumulation. I have been thinking of removing my furnace to gain more storage space, and mounting the Coleman in the existing opening and using an adapter to run the propane from the tongue mounted tank.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote