Wax and cleaner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Wax and cleaner

I’ve heard about Polyglow and have also heard it’s floor wax? True or not? What other product(s) might be used? What can/should be used to clean my trailer before waxing? It’s not possible to wash it as it’s in a storage facility. Thanks
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I have a small, portable battery powered pressure washer that I use to wash my ATVs and trailer. It doesn't have a high pressure so no concerns with forcing water through window/door seals etc. but does a good job of removing dirt and road debris. I can add an automotive or boat cleaner as necessary.
I also have a battery powered buffer that can be used to remove oxide when used with almost any automotive polish. More aggressive products can be used if the oxide is significant. Products designed for fiberglass boats seems to work best.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 08:51 PM   #3

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Thumbs down Clean and Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I have a small, portable battery powered pressure washer that I use to wash my ATVs and trailer. It doesn't have a high pressure so no concerns with forcing water through window/door seals etc. but does a good job of removing dirt and road debris. I can add an automotive or boat cleaner as necessary.
I also have a battery powered buffer that can be used to remove oxide when used with almost any automotive polish. More aggressive products can be used if the oxide is significant. Products designed for fiberglass boats seems to work best.
I agree -- about the boat products. So many like to use the wax-based products designed for cars. However, wax oxidizes and yellows in the sun, so even if it gives a slightly more shiny effect for a while, it has to be done several times a year. Otherwise, old wax left on a white fiberglass trailer will turn a very dull yellow.

As I have said here a couple of times, I have used a marine boat polish -- Starbrite (no affiliation, and there may be similar products_ -- for many years on my 2008 Casita. The trailer still looks very white and shiny -- almost as good as new. I only polish it about once a year to keep it looking that good.

To clean a FG trailer just use strong detergent and water. If you have stains you can get rid of them with sodium percarbonate (Oxyclean is a brand name, but I hate to give that obnoxious jerk a plug). Apply a heavy solution in bright sunlight. Sunlight seems to catylize iit's action. Just get all of the old wax and anything else that is coating the fiberglass.

With the Starbrite, they make a cleaner-polish that will remove most of any oxidized layer of gel coat. It goes on easily -- no electric buffer is needed. Then follow up with the Starbrite polish (that the manufacturer says contains teflon). The second polish application goes on so very easily...just wipe on, wait a couple of minutes to mostly dry, and then wipe off...no elbow grease required. Any area that does not shine completely can be addressed by softly wiping more polish on...kind of a spit-shine approach. You will see the surface getting smoother and more shiney with each spit-shine wiping.

Or you can buy a polisher, buff away a lot of the fiberglass gel coat with an abrasive rubbing compound, and then apply car wax every couple of months...the way it was done to your hot rod car in the 1960's.

Your choice.

Gator
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:13 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorCasita View Post
I agree -- about the boat products. So many like to use the wax-based products designed for cars. However, wax oxidizes and yellows in the sun, so even if it gives a slightly more shiny effect for a while, it has to be done several times a year. Otherwise, old wax left on a white fiberglass trailer will turn a very dull yellow.

As I have said here a couple of times, I have used a marine boat polish -- Starbrite (no affiliation, and there may be similar products_ -- for many years on my 2008 Casita. The trailer still looks very white and shiny -- almost as good as new. I only polish it about once a year to keep it looking that good.

To clean a FG trailer just use strong detergent and water. If you have stains you can get rid of them with sodium percarbonate (Oxyclean is a brand name, but I hate to give that obnoxious jerk a plug). Apply a heavy solution in bright sunlight. Sunlight seems to catylize iit's action. Just get all of the old wax and anything else that is coating the fiberglass.

With the Starbrite, they make a cleaner-polish that will remove most of any oxidized layer of gel coat. It goes on easily -- no electric buffer is needed. Then follow up with the Starbrite polish (that the manufacturer says contains teflon). The second polish application goes on so very easily...just wipe on, wait a couple of minutes to mostly dry, and then wipe off...no elbow grease required. Any area that does not shine completely can be addressed by softly wiping more polish on...kind of a spit-shine approach. You will see the surface getting smoother and more shiney with each spit-shine wiping.

Or you can buy a polisher, buff away a lot of the fiberglass gel coat with an abrasive rubbing compound, and then apply car wax every couple of months...the way it was done to your hot rod car in the 1960's.

Your choice.

Gator
I agree .... automotive products do yellow over time. I don't use rubbing compound as it is too abrasive. It does cut the oxide faster at the expense of thinning the gelcoat which I try to avoid. The buffer does all the work as manually the job is very labor intensive. I haven't used the products you mention but I think I'll try them and use the Turtle wax on my Vette. Cheers!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 09:51 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Cleaning and waxing the trailer

I use Zep floor wax products on my trailer. The first step is to use the wax remover to get all the old wax off. I also used some 400 wet sandpaper to clean up rough spots and discoloration. Then I used the Zep dirt removal and degreaser. Then Zep heavy duty floor wax. It takes at least four coats. Then a coat or two each year after washing. In my situation this lasts for about five years before I have to strip it down and start over.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 03:29 AM   #6

Name: Jerome
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13
AR
polyglow works

Our trailer was very oxidized so I used a Polyglow kit with it's paste cleaner. Once it was clean and still very dull I applied about 5 coats of Polyglow. It looked totally different, very shiny. It was time consuming. Glad it is done. Next after it was well cured I added 2 coats of Rejex and it really shines and it is super easy to clean. It was also fairly easy to apply, other than it can't be done in the sun or if above 85 degrees.
JeromeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 05:04 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Grease! .. lots of ELBOW GREASE, is the best thing there is no matter what you use.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:41 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Regarding your initial question: Zep (previously Red Maxx Pro) is the floor wax. PoliGlow was made for fiberglass boats and trailers. We’ve used both and PoliGlow seems to last better.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:44 PM   #9

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
I’ve heard about Polyglow and have also heard it’s floor wax? True or not? What other product(s) might be used? What can/should be used to clean my trailer before waxing? It’s not possible to wash it as it’s in a storage facility. Thanks
https://poliglow.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw...IaAqaFEALw_wcB

The combination of Poli Ox and the ultra-fine sanding pads in the deluxe kit will remove and treat heavy oxidation and stubborn stains, bringing the surface to a uniform finish. I've also read that you can use Barkeepers Friend cleanser to remove the oxidation. It isn't a easy job. At 75, I don't have the arms left for that kind of work.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:50 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
I've also read that you can use Barkeepers Friend cleanser to remove the oxidation..
That's because it contains an abrasive. Liquid sandpaper.
Old 03-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Regarding your initial question: Zep (previously Red Maxx Pro) is the floor wax. PoliGlow was made for fiberglass boats and trailers. We’ve used both and PoliGlow seems to last better.
I've used both too and prefer Zep. I could give a crap if it's labeled as floor wax. No buffing and outperforms Meguiars by a long, long shot.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote