Wax and fiberglass care - AGAIN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looking for something else and stumbled across this site:
The Fountain of Youth Line Fountain of youth...wonder if they have something for my body

ANYWAY, read the testimonial...
"....... However, the best part was applying your Awesome product. Not only was it easy to use, but the shine is incredible. The boat looks wet all of the time. As you can tell, I am now a customer for life. "

and was wondering if anyone has any experience using this stuff?

TIA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Donna,
Another line of products which sounds almost to good to be true! Interesting that so many boat manufacturers purportedly use them. Since there are several, it would almost seem like they stopped by a booth at a trade show and were given samples which now qualifies them as "users".
Living in the mountains, I'm not in a position to talk to anyone actually working in a boat yard who might have "hands-on" experience.
It would be interesting to get feed back from some of our FGRV members who live near one of the boat manufacturer's facilities.
The front of "Nuestra Casita" could sure use a better shine. Once the garden hose thaws out, Ann's car, our truck and our TT will finally get their winter layer of grime scrubbed off.
We also are always looking for a more easily applied, longer lasting shine. Wonder if it's compatible with wax? Could a coat of wax be applied over it?

Thanks for sharing your find,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Any time I have a "Hands on experience" it's just that... hands on!!! and if the product says no scrubbing or no buffing it's usually "no way"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Donna, When I clicked on Testimonials, it said the page couldn't be found. Anything that is easy to do would be of interest.

We have just started using 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner & Wax which we puchased at a local marine supply store and it is doing an amazing job of polishing the light oxidation and rust streaks on our 8 year old Scamp. It takes a lot of elbow grease, but think it will be worth the effort.

Vivian, who hates hard work
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Donna, When I clicked on Testimonials, it said the page couldn't be found. Anything that is easy to do would be of interest.
I got that too, the testimonial I partially quoted was at the bottom of the homepage. The testimonial button is trying to go to: http://free-guestbooks.com/cgi-bin/atpfgb/...23981586533:3:0
Guess these people don't know much about website building. Using a freesite like referenced is obviously not good for business. Maybe I'll e-mail them and let them know their site is broken!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Quote:

We have just started using 3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner & Wax which we puchased at a local marine supply store and it is doing an amazing job of polishing the light oxidation and rust streaks on our 8 year old Scamp. It takes a lot of elbow grease, but think it will be worth the effort.

Vivian, who hates hard work
I also swear by 3M Marine Fiberglass cleaner & wax. I live on the Outer Banks & it is all I use on my Boats & camper... Our 95 SD sat in the hills of VA for 2 years & looked it.. Washed it & did the 3M to it & it looks new... It has a bit of grit in it that acts like a rubbing compound, gets all the YELLOW & STAINS off with out alot of effort.. Kenn
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
Do any of you 3M users know if it takes off tar?? I have a terrible amount of tar on the front of the Bigfoot.
Thanks!
Andrea in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #8

There's a bunch of stuff available in the car care section of auto parts store. Anything marked "Bug and Tar Remover" will work....maybe some just better than others.

Before making a purchase, try peanut butter. Blob it on and let it sit, see if it will remove it. I've had success using peanut butter, but on a metal body truck. Really don't know if it will work the same way on fiberglass. The problem too with tar is it stains the gel coat. More than one reason to keep the trailer waxed!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Good thing to use that salmonella tainted Peter Pan or Great Value peanut butter for.

http://investor.conagrafoods.com/phoenix.z...&highlight=
Old 02-17-2007, 03:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via AIM to Ben Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Ben Perkins
Talking

Has anyone tried Aerospace protectant 303? It has an SPF 40. Supposed to work great on fiberglass.
Ben
Ben Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Has anyone tried Aerospace protectant 303? It has an SPF 40. Supposed to work great on fiberglass.
Ben
Okay, now this one I have heard about...we discussed it last May. Click for more info: 303, Anyone use a product called "303" in place of wax?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 1982
Donna,

I'm new to this forum. The 303 is great for control fading of paint. I have Kayak for over 3 years and that is what we use on our kayaks and padlles and life vest, etc. I also use it in my car, NO armour all.
It is expenses, but worth every penny.

Tom C
Thomas A Cronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I talked to a guy who had redone his sailboat- he said this is the original gelcoat, and what finally worked to restore the color and shine was to do a light wet sanding and THEN wax and polish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corndog.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	8266

The picture does not do justice to the color and shine- it looks like new. Of course, it is easier on a colored hull to make sure you aren't sanding too far. I'm not sure how easy that would be on a white or off-white trailer.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote