Weights of 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Weights of 13'

There have been many threads on weight of 13' Scamp. Please direct me to them. Thanks Lee
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Start with "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section (sticky thread near the top of the list). Post #297 links to a spreadsheet if the data.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here is the link to the thread Trailer Weights in the Real World

The majority of the trailers on the first post where weighed over a few years at a trailer meet in Oregon by a member here - using the same equipment and process. It was a full service campsite and people were weighed as they arrived loaded up for 4 days of camping. So some may have been carrying some water in their tanks when weighed but its a good bet most were not.

Best thread on this whole list!!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Start with "Trailer Weights in the Real World" in the General Chat section (sticky thread near the top of the list). Post #297 links to a spreadsheet if the data.
Direct link to post 297 with link to the spreadsheet:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post476201

It appears that there is a second version of the spreadsheet that has more trailers listed, although I have not verified the data or looked for duplicate entries. It would be best to have a centralized database but if there are different versions of the spreadsheet then it might be good to check both.
See post #1, item #1 here:
Towing Resources | Scamp Owners International
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Direct link to post 297 with link to the spreadsheet:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post476201

It appears that there is a second version of the spreadsheet that has more trailers listed, although I have not verified the data or looked for duplicate entries. It would be best to have a centralized database but if there are different versions of the spreadsheet then it might be good to check both.
See post #1, item #1 here:
Towing Resources | Scamp Owners International
The spread sheet has more than one version as it has been updated by a member here when people submit their trailer weights.

i word of caution is needed in regards to the above as those weigh ins done by owners where not as controlled as the ones found on the first post. We have all seen folks post the results of weights they have taken of their own trailer only to have many here question if they are factual. Often reported far to light. The smart owners take heed and take their trailers to another facility for weighing and or/or make sure they weighed them correctly and do the calculations correctly and come back and report that the trailer did indeed weigh more than they though it did! Not all owners recheck their weights. The other thing to be aware of is not all the trailers listed were in fact fully loaded for camping as the first trailers listed where.

As a result its best to take any trailer weight you see that is way lower than others listed with caution.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Those tables I think provide a good general guide when considering towing requirement.If you want to know the weight of your trailer however, or one you are considering buying, I'd suggest you find a commercially calibrated scale. They have them anywhere truck load must be calculated to determine payment. I used the one at a recycling yard. To save time for the operator, I weighed car and trailer, then just the car and did the math.

For more information, and since my load varies quite a bit depending on the trip, once I got home I removed and carefully weighed anything that wasn't screwed down to determine the remaining "dry weight" of the trailer. I also kept track of the weights of the various pieces of "cargo" I took out. While some may disagree, I find dry weight useful as a starting point in determining my actual weight, given a certain cargo. I just add the weight of the previously recorded cargo I'm actually carrying, plus anything new. You may not want to be that fussy, but really it can be done mostly in your head.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy J. View Post
.If you want to know the weight of your trailer however, or one you are considering buying, I'd suggest you find a commercially calibrated scale. They have them anywhere truck load must be calculated to determine payment. I used the one at a recycling yard. .
Just a heads up. Commercial scales are not always as reliable as you might think.... as a member here discovered a few weeks back. Can be out by large numbers.

If your trailer weighs in at way less than the average on the list is for the same sized trailer, you might want to have it reweighed. No matter where you had it weighed.

Tags
weight