What are good replacement tires for the scamp 13? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Why learn from others mistakes.
Why not learn from others mistakes?
Old 12-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #42

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Since there are only two tires on our trailer, we simply buy two new tires every three years and keep the best one as a spare.

We also have pressure/temperature monitors on the trailer tires so we can see what's happening back there.
Sounds like a reasonable plan to us, similar to ours. We change ours at three to four years. Original Duros did 35k plus miles, three and a half years. Replacement Maxxis are approaching three years. Probably due next year. The mileage perhaps sounds great, but we typically travel a lot of miles in a year with our trailer.

A few years ago, we went thru the one- tire- shop experience in Quebec with the truck, not the trailer. Lucked into a really great shop owner who got us on the road in short order, after a bolt ran through the tread of the rear right tire. The tire was saved by the sensors that told us to stop before the tire was ruined.

After that trip, we, too, installed tire sensors on the trailer tires. Cheap insurance, we think.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #43

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Switch from 13 inch to 14 inch tires & wheels

Has anyone put 14 inch wheels and tires on their 16 foot Scamp?
Jaycojunkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #44

Trailer: scamp
Wisconsin
My scamp is a deluxe 13. It has load range c now. I can get d for the same price. Can you over tire it?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
scamp2003wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #45

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp2003wi View Post
My scamp is a deluxe 13. It has load range c now. I can get d for the same price. Can you over tire it?

IMHO, not within reason. I always pick the highest load range in the size, personally. It gives a greater safety margin for hot days and higher speeds. Keep in mind you don't have to run max pressure. The manufacturer will have a chart for tire pressure vs speed vs weight.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
IMHO, not within reason. I always pick the highest load range in the size, personally. It gives a greater safety margin for hot days and higher speeds. Keep in mind you don't have to run max pressure. The manufacturer will have a chart for tire pressure vs speed vs weight.

The charts referred to above are minimum pressures to avoid tire damage.
Please read the manufacturer's PDFs completely, or just do the right thing and maintain proper tire pressure. ST tires are best kept at max pressure as stated on the sidewall.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:36 PM   #47

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
14" tires on Scamp 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
Has anyone put 14 inch wheels and tires on their 16 foot Scamp?
I added 205/75R14 tires/wheels to my 2005 16' Scamp 2 1/2 years and 25,000 miles ago. Main reason was that it's getting hard to find 13" tires if you need them while traveling.
I was lucky and did not have to do any trimming of the fiberglass to make them fit. I've read that some had to do just a little bit of trimming with a Dremel to make them fit.
I ordered mine from etrailer.com and am happy with them.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #48

Name: Lois
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
Just bought a 13 ft Casita with 15" rims. Has very new looking 7 yr old tires on it. The dealer was supposed to replace them, but said they were too nice to toss. Neighbors, friends and family members are telling me the same. Well.. I am getting new ones regardless of their opinions. I may be just a "typical woman, worrying about everything" but having a blow-out ripping through the fiberglass is not on my bucket list.
Lois L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #49

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois L View Post
Just bought a 13 ft Casita with 15" rims. Has very new looking 7 yr old tires on it. The dealer was supposed to replace them, but said they were too nice to toss. Neighbors, friends and family members are telling me the same. Well.. I am getting new ones regardless of their opinions. I may be just a "typical woman, worrying about everything" but having a blow-out ripping through the fiberglass is not on my bucket list.
Great Decision... DO NOT underestimate your wisdom.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #50

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I think that I read somewhere that Oliver uses LT tires on their trailers rather than ST tires. Any ideas as to why?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #51

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Great Decision... DO NOT underestimate your wisdom.....
I agree. Some tire manufacturers state to replace the tires as often as every 6 years regardless of tread wear. Rubber compounds oxidize and break down over time. Just because the tire has good tread doesn't mean it's roadworthy.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:33 AM   #52

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois L View Post
I may be just a "typical woman, worrying about everything" but having a blow-out ripping through the fiberglass is not on my bucket list.
From another "typical woman" who has had a 5 year old tire fail from the inside out that still had lots of tread on it, I say there is nothing wrong with being a "typical woman" if your worries have some merit to them

While tire failures that are a complete blow-out and ripping the trailer apart are not all that common, what is common in my own experience is for the tire to fail at the least convenient location. I.E. on a busy freeway where safety while changing a tire is a concern or in a location where the nearest tire shop is 150 miles or more away and it only carries one brand of never heard of before tires. Giving you no opportunity to shop around for brand or best price. Been there done that!

If you google this site you will find lots of discussion on which brand is best. Everyone has their preferences and most often it comes down to past experiences. Whether it been a good or bad historical experience. I currently have a brand of tires on my trailer (not by choose but necessity) that I probable would never have chosen if I had a brand choose at the time. Funny enough they have actually out performed/lasted 2 sets of more expensive well known name brand tires I have had on the trailer.

I honestly think the reality is that the longevity of a tire is not as much to do about brand as it does in making sure the tires are of adequate load rating, balanced and running at correct inflation rate. As well as how long a trailer stays parked in one position during the course of the year and whether it is left sitting in a wet location or left out baking in the hot sun or if its parked in a nice dry garage.

If I have a big preference when it comes to ST tires it would be that I prefer radials to bias tire.

Yes some folks do put LT tires on their trailers - but I have noticed its often on much heavier trailers than our typical 13' or 16' fiberglass trailer. Here is a link to an explanation of the differences between ST Tires and LT Tires if you are considering going the LT route.

Trailer Towing ST Tires vs. LT Tires | RV 101
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #53

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Carol, thanks for the link.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #54

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I moved up to 205 75 r 14 from the original 13 inch tires on my 16 foot Scamp for the very reason you stated. I wanted more margin between the actual load and the rating than could be found with the 13 inch.
That and the rolling diameter is greater etc.
It did generate more work replacing wheel wells etc, but I was redoing the floors and interior anyway.
This was also a driving factor in choosing the Flexiride axle to enable height adjustment and the 10 in. Drums required new wheels anyway. Good by 4 lug hello 5 lug wheels.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires