What is the better surface for storing a fiberglass RV outside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2016, 06:14 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13 Std.
Minnesota
What is the better surface for storing a fiberglass RV outside?

I am wondering what is the best surface for storing my Scamp outside when not in use in order to minimize the effects of moisture on the RV frame.

I have already been advised that grass is not good at all, in terms of moisture problems, and that concrete and asphalt are not much better, both being said to wick up moisture from the ground under a stored vehicle. It seems to come down to some kind of gravel or crushed concrete.

I'm interested in opinions on this from those with experience with similar moisture problems.

Thank you!
Bill MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 AM   #2

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
The place where we store our camper (a commercial RV storage lot) uses finely crushed rock for the pads. I hadn't really thought about that before so I'm interested in the responses that you get.
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Mine sits on mostly packed dirt. Has for 6 years. A proper gravel pad is in the works. One of these days. . I had a little surface rust so I painted the frame this year. In my opinion air circulation is the best way to keep moisture damage from happening. I suppose if you are really worried about it you could park your trailer on a tarp? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:01 AM   #4

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Being on a limited budget, I got 4'x4' treated 3/4 inch ground contact plywood sheets and put those down. They keep the trailer from sinking in the mud or creating ruts when the ground is wet. They also create a clean place to walk around the trailer. This is much less expensive than bringing in rock or paving.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Name: J
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
Outside storage

I have a 17 casita and a 29 airstream. My she'd has a gravel floor in addition I place plastic down and put a treated 2x12 on the plastic level it and park trailer on them the plastic keeps the moisture back and the wood levels gives firm surface.
J Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Some use a pair of inexpensive jack stands, on the trailer frame, to lift the trailer off its tires. I would think any packed surface would suffice for jack stands.

Harbor Fright, ~$25 a pair, 3 ton, steel, 12+ pounds
~$40 a pair, 3 ton aluminum, 4+ pounds

Might need a cinderblock under each rear stabilizer for them to reach the ground.

Personally, mine has been on concrete since 2003. Some years I even put the tire covers on, but less than a third of the time. From my perspective, you're overthinking this but it doesn't hurt to do a sanity check every now and then.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Personally I would use concrete. While moisture coming off concrete still happens it is of a very fine nature and readily mixes with air. Damp porous surfaces will pump a lot of moisture up as the ground warms up. Just make sure the concrete is graded so water doesn't puddle.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
CONCRETE
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Worst would be long, choking grass. Gravel I suppose might be ideal. But really, I think so long as there is good air circulation under and around the RV, things should be fine. I always trim our lawn very short, just before freeze up and before parking our Trillium. I had the frame Crown undercoated, inside and out, about three years and should do it again this. This year I will block the corners, put something under the wheels to spread the weight and (thanks for the idea) may put some poly underneath.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I like gravel, but storing outside should allow for adequate ventilation under the trailer, as long as water doesn't stand under the trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Best stay out of the trailer too.
Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water.May 2, 2016
Old 09-28-2016, 05:47 AM   #12

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
If u use Jack Stands,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
Some use a pair of inexpensive jack stands, on the trailer frame, to lift the trailer off its tires. I would think any packed surface would suffice for jack stands.

Harbor Fright, ~$25 a pair, 3 ton, steel, 12+ pounds
~$40 a pair, 3 ton aluminum, 4+ pounds

Might need a cinderblock under each rear stabilizer for them to reach the ground.

Personally, mine has been on concrete since 2003. Some years I even put the tire covers on, but less than a third of the time. From my perspective, you're overthinking this but it doesn't hurt to do a sanity check every now and then.
:Make sure you cut some 3/4" Plywood squares to put under them so they do not sink down into Asphalt.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Up to 60% of the human adult body is water. According to H.H. Mitchell, Journal of Biological Chemistry 158, the brain and heart are composed of 73% water, and the lungs are about 83% water.May 2, 2016
Huhhh.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post

The doc calls it arthritis. Now I find out that I have rust.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I saw some time back, so I don't remember the brand, that one of the upscale inflatable plastic garages for vintage cars (kind of a blow-up tent), featured a small fan that you keep running all winter to circulate air under the vehicle.
So I guess keeping a trailer fairly high up off whatever surface, would be advantageous i.e. jack it up and put large/tall (not cinder!) blocks under your favourite spots.
Grandfatherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 11:20 AM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
When I was visiting friends in Tallahassee, one of their neighbors had a collection of antique Dodge trucks. He made pads from pressure-treated landscape timbers staked into the ground. I would assume they floated on a bed of sand or gravel. Anyway, it seemed like a good solution, they looked great and he had some very expensive machinery sitting on them. May do something similar in our yard if we don't get a poured concrete pad, or one made of pavers.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:38 PM   #17

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
The worst thing for Metal is Grass as it will eat through a metal frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:Make sure you cut some 3/4" Plywood squares to put under them so they do not sink down into Asphalt.
Stude
:quite quickly, I know a fellow who parked his car on grass and 2 years later came back to start restoring it and the whole interior floor including the trunk and inner fenders were all gone, grass contains water and metal does not like water because over time you get rust.
That car was a family item from way back and he did a complete Restoration on it, he will drive it till he cannot not anymore but he has sons and daughters all waiting in line for it. Anything can be repaird but it costs money! and someone else to do the work.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 AM   #18

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Well, the grass underneath our Casita is dying, so I doubt if it will be a problem; the dirt is fairly hard. I'm trying to decide what to do about winter. I may jack up the wheels an inch or so and put jackstands under the frame to hold them; probably should get some outdoor plywood or paving stones for the stands.

I'd like to keep the snow off, but covers are expensive, and any kind of DIY carport that will survive snow and wind much more so. I'd also like to be able to get inside to do some work, e.g. put in some shelves in the closet.

Suggestions welcome. . .

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:01 AM   #19

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
My only place to easily store my trailer in beside my house. Right now I have it parked on the grass, but I know that it is not a good idea.

Should I put a tarp under it? (Knowing it will likely kill the grass)
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
To protect the tires put a piece of wood under them so that the dirt or concrete doesn't cause drying out of the tires. We park on concrete but in our garage and park on wood or rubber backed carpet. For the frame I have no suggestions.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote