What is this trailer????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Send a message via AIM to Slocamper
I saw a fiberglass trailer in my neighborhood and would like to know what it is. It is all fiberglass and has a raised area in the middle from front to back so you can stand in it. It looks solid so it isn't the one that lifts up there and has tent material with it. I am sure someone out there knows what it is.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
unknown_trailer_1.jpg  
Slocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Lil Bigfoot
Sounds like a Compact. Check the photo album as I think there are some pics there of a Compact.
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
...but a Compact has a fabric-sided pop-top, which I think Jim eliminated. The no-tent-material feature also eliminates the Miti Lite, the only other pop-top I've seen in FiberglassRV.

Any chance of a photo, Jim?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
In the late '60's, a company made a 13' fiberglass trailer called the "Havasu", or something like that. It was square and looked like a Compact Jr. or II, but with the upper raised roof section permanently up. That may be what you are seeing. Tom Trostel
Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #5

It is not a pop-up but looks like a Compact without the pop-up. It is for sale for $1400.00 but it is gutted. It looks like a standard fiberglass trailer with upper and lower halves and a rear door. It sits on a platformtype trailer with metal rear bumper etc. I will try to get a picture of it. I'm wondering if it would be a good investment to fix up.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
It is not a pop-up but looks like a Compact without the pop-up. It is for sale for $1400.00 but it is gutted. It looks like a standard fiberglass trailer with upper and lower halves and a rear door. It sits on a platformtype trailer with metal rear bumper etc. I will try to get a picture of it. I'm wondering if it would be a good investment to fix up.
Wouldn't hurt anything to take a look at it? Go speak to the owner, find out why he's selling, how fast, negotiable on price, etc. Why is it gutted?

As for looking it over, check the frame for cracks at the welds, axle location, rust holes, etc. Don't worry about the surface rust. Check the straighness of the tongue.
Check the floor underneath and inside for soft areas which require work.
Check the overall condition of the fiberglass shell inside and out.
Check any lights, electrical, propane, tubing, etc. That's pretty much it.

I screwed up purchasing a Compact Jr here in the midwest. Interior work is not bad to perform and is actually something most of us here do to personalize our campers. To add, since there are other currect fiberglass manu's, you could probably add to the interior with their cabinet parts to keep it rather light as a trailer, yet personable and usable.

I'd say go look at it, weigh your options of the work involved you want to do, then make a decision. As an investment, money spent is usually spent and not returnable. Its the difference you got to be concerned. So figure $1200 for the trailer, $800 for interior, use it for 3 yrs, sell in 3 yrs for $?????. For the $2k price, that's how many hotel rooms over the 3 yr period? Don't forget about storage costs also.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Arrow

Quote:
It is not a pop-up but looks like a Compact without the pop-up. It is for sale for [b]$1400.00 but it is gutted. It looks like a standard fiberglass trailer with upper and lower halves and a rear door. It sits on a platformtype trailer with metal rear bumper etc. I will try to get a picture of it. I'm wondering if it would be a [b]good investment to fix up.

This sound just like my Compact Junior project of a few years ago.
My initial cost of a gutted out shell was [b]$900.00

The expenses kept adding up. I stopped counting after spending [b]$4000.00 This did not include painting it; I kept it the same exterior color as when I bought it, (paint was in good condition) which unfortunately was charcoal gray. Took it to San Diego Trailer Supply to repack bearings and flip the axle. Floor was rotten, so replaced it with 3/4 inch plywood, covered with sheet vinyl flooring, and undercoated the bottom. Covered the interior with reflectix, then "wallpapered" with cotton backed vinyl tablecloth material from Walmart. Bought a Home Depot bathroom sink base, and formica countertop for the "kitchen" cabinet. Built benches & a table that replicated the original large bed. Bought 4" foam from Upholstery Fabric Outlet and Denim from Walmart and made cushions. Bought an Igloo 12 volt cooler and a Thetford 565 porta-pottie. Bought and installed a 10 gallon fresh water tank & manual pump faucet...

We used it for 2 years, on trips from California to New York, and California to Michigan, and back. Then I found, and bought my Fiber Stream, so I put the simple little Compact Junior up for sale...
Six months later, I finally wound up selling it to friends for [b]$1000.00
Old 04-05-2006, 11:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Such a deal!

How about the value of your education.

I do this with cars. I only buy cars someone is throwing away. Then I put several times more than they're worth in fixing up. Then I drive them until they are ready to be thrown away again. Sometimes I repeat the sequence on the same car.

It makes perfect sense to me. I see no benefit in contributing to making an auto dealer or finance company rich.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #9

Quote:
...but a Compact has a fabric-sided pop-top, which I think Jim eliminated. The no-tent-material feature also eliminates the Miti Lite, the only other pop-top I've seen in FiberglassRV.

Any chance of a photo, Jim?
I tried to upload a photo but have had no luck with it.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:00 AM   #10

I put a picture of it on my first letter above. It has the center raised permanently so you can stand in it and this raised area is on the back 3/4 of the trailer middle. It is not raised in the front 1/4. The total roof is solid and there is no canvas associated with it. I looked in the gallery of pictures and didn't see one of them and the owner could not remember what the name was.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I put a picture of it on my first letter above. It has the center raised permanently so you can stand in it and this raised area is on the back 3/4 of the trailer middle. It is not raised in the front 1/4. The total roof is solid and there is no canvas associated with it. I looked in the gallery of pictures and didn't see one of them and the owner could not remember what the name was.
Nice profile picture. Get any close-ups of the top to the rest of the top? Does it look like its molded in as 1-pc or looks like an added piece. From the pic, it looks like it's an addition to the top previous.
Other pics of the trailer would help identify it to something in the album. Rear door, w/w/out screen, door holder, kitchen area, front frame work, etc.

But for what it is, doesn't look too bad.
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:04 AM   #12

The top is all one piece from the factory and the rear door has a metal frame. The axle has been removed and it is sitting on a perfectly sized flatbed trailer so that is one of the reasons it looks a little different to me but it is a really good strong foundation with regular sized tires and wheels. This rig would go anywhere but I think it would cost too much to completely refurbish. The owner said that he is asking $1400. which is what he paid for the flatbed trailer new a few years ago. He gutted it to use as an enclosed trailer for his business supplies etc.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Before the site crash there were pictures of one of those trailers sitting next to a Compact. I believe someone had been traveling and ran across it. I don't remember what it was called......I think Havasu might be right.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #14
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't recall the name of it, but Tom is correct. There was one made that had a permanent top like this one. Havasu sounds familiar. We used to have a picture of one that was taken next to a Compact. Unfortunately, that was lost in the hijack. I believe it was taken by a person who was traveling with their CJ and rain across it. I also seem to recall that he talked to the owners.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #15
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
HA! You beat me to it, Lizbeth.

I don't know how I missed your post.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
HA! You beat me to it, Lizbeth.

I don't know how I missed your post.
Suz, that's funny! Thanks for the giggle!