What is your post-trip routine? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
What is your post-trip routine?

Hi all,

We’re wrapping up our first trip in our Casita, and was wondering what your post-trip routine is related to preparing your trailer for parked time until your next getaway?

In addition to general items, very interested about any steps you perform related to tank clean out - especially black water tank. For example, how do you ensure it is completely empty/as clean as possible?

Thank you in advance!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #2

North Carolina
ps. It seems we have a small mound of toilet paper (in the tank) lined up with the toilet hole and not sure how long that takes to breakdown? thanks again
Old 06-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Hi all,

We’re wrapping up our first trip in our Casita, and was wondering what your post-trip routine is related to preparing your trailer for parked time until your next getaway?

In addition to general items, very interested about any steps you perform related to tank clean out - especially black water tank. For example, how do you ensure it is completely empty/as clean as possible?

Thank you in advance!
A lot depends upon where you live. I am in a rural area, on a septic tank. While I dump the holding tanks when I depart the last campground, I have a portable waste tote and can refill or stick a cleaning wand down through the toilet bowl to rinse the black tank, empty it into the tote, roll it to the septic tank and dump it into the clean-out.

As a minimum:

Be absolutely certain to defrost the refrigerator. It can be done by placing old terry cloth towels to absorb melted frost, and prop the refrigerator door(s) open to prevent mold forming inside.

Close the valves on the propane tank(s).

If the trailer is not being stored under cover (garage or carport) you might want to get a cover as the fiberglass, if not regularly waxed, will oxidize and turn chalky just like a fiberglass boat.

If you live in an excessively humid area, you may want to use a dehumidifier or use some water absorbing crystals.

And if you do not plan to use the trailer for a while, you might want to drain the water heater. IF it is both propane and electric, be sure to switch off the circuit breaker before emptying and do not turn it on again until it is filled on your next trip. It is very easy to burn out the electrical heating element and a PITA to replace one.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
ps. It seems we have a small mound of toilet paper (in the tank) lined up with the toilet hole and not sure how long that takes to breakdown? thanks again
trying putting a tray of ice cubes in the black tank before you drive home to break up stuff.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
trying putting a tray of ice cubes in the black tank before you drive home to break up stuff.

That doesn't work at all. Google for video of "ice cubes in black tank" and see for yourself.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
That doesn't work at all. Google for video of "ice cubes in black tank" and see for yourself.
Well the first video I google summed it up.. "Short answer: Maybe kind of, but not really all that great."

But fact is it won't hurt to try, and my suggestion was to try it.

Or do like I do... # 1 only.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #7

Best solution is add liquid and keep it liquid. That and chemicals like Odorlos to dissolve tissue and solids. Let biology work for you.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
For the mound of tissue add some enough water into the tank to cover the mound by a couple of inches and a some waste tank digestive enzymes, if powered form of enzymes put into a bucket of water prior to adding to dissolve before adding it into the tank.

No need to be in a hurry to empty out that water you added. You can leave it for weeks or a month or the next trip out so that the paper gets broken apart. Just don't leave it in there until the weather turns to freezing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:20 AM   #9

North Carolina
thank you for the replies so far. Very good information.

I was also wondering if anyone has heard of or tried the Happy Campers brand holding tank treatment? It has received very favorable reviews on Amazon, but was curious to know if anyone has personal experience with the product?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge
Old 06-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
thank you for the replies so far. Very good information.

I was also wondering if anyone has heard of or tried the Happy Campers brand holding tank treatment? It has received very favorable reviews on Amazon, but was curious to know if anyone has personal experience with the product?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge

We tried the Happy Camper stuff and ended up going back to Thetford Aqua Chem. The HC stuff doesn’t do much for the smell.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Name: Philip
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
Regarding the black tank, my “post trip routine” begins with my “pre-trip routine.” Before we head out, I charge the black tank with chemical, a small amount of dishwashing detergent and a couple of gallons of water. This way toilet paper and stuff don’t have a dry surface to adhere to.

On the return, since we don’t have hookups at home to wash out, we try to get tank as clean as possible before we break camp if we have full hook ups through multiple fills and flushes. A clear elbow on a sewer hose helps see what’s coming out (assuming you are not squeamish). We confirm tank condition with flashlight looking into toilet. We then fill black tank 1/3 to 1/2 way on our way back home. There is an interstate rest area on our return route that has a dump station. We do a final dump and rinse before we get home. I know this may sound overkill, but since we park our Casita in the garage, definitely want it clean before parking it.

If I know I will not be taking the Casita out for a while, I will pull the anode out of the hot water heater and rinse it out, then place a screen over the opening. No use letting it sit there a corrode.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg White View Post
If I know I will not be taking the Casita out for a while, I will pull the anode out of the hot water heater and rinse it out, then place a screen over the opening. No use letting it sit there a corrode.

Anode is cheap and if the tank is drained, won't corrode, so you can take it out, drain and put it back.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Invest in a back flush system for your black water tank. Both Valterra and Camco have then available. I leave my connected while at the campground and do a back flush each time I dump my black water. When I am leaving the campgrounds for good I do a more aggressive back flush so I know It is clean.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #14

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
All of the great "insight" above about the black tank notwithstanding, if your travel trailer isn't going to be used for a while (2+ weeks), you will want to disconnect the battery.

My lesson learned for my Casita is that the propane detector, which is hard wired, sucked my battery dry beyond which I could recharge it. So, now, I slip my replacement battery out and but it on a battery "minder" to keep it charged.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Be sure to buy TP that is for RVs. and is septic safe It breaks up better.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Post trip routine

Before I dump the black water tank I dump three full toilet bowls of water into the black water tank. After I drain the blackwater tank I then add three more toilet bowls full of water and then drain them. Then the third time I and three toilet bowls full of water and drain them. By the third time to water coming out of the black water tank drain is clear.

This is going on while I am emptying the the grey water tank.

I have a clear plastic connector on my drain hose so that I can see the color of the water coming out.

Hope this helps, fairly easy and straight forward.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
That is the conventional thought. However, you sometimes pay more for less if it is labeled as “RV.” Actually, any toilet paper which breaks up when you put in a jar of water and shake it will work just fine. Using the jar shake test To compare most brands to TP that is for RVs will show that the RV paper doesn’t break up any better or any faster. Most TP is safe for septic tanks although paper that is white contains no dyes. What you really want to avoid are the so-called disposable wipes. Technically, they are disposable but they do NOT readily break up.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post

I buy regular two-ply TP. It also dissolves, costs less and my fingers don't go through it when it gets damp.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #19

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
You need a swivel stick sprayer to get rid of all the stuff in the black tank. They're about $6-9 and you can get them at RV stores and maybe Walmart. We keep one in the bathroom so every time we dump we can rinse the tank clean. Just bring a hose into the bathroom, put swivel stick on it, put it into the toilet, hold onto it at all times as the pressure can pull it out of the toilet and have someone turn on the water. You don't need a huge power of water. I make sure to turn the stick in different directions to clean the tank thoroughly. Using plenty of water when flushing after using the toilet will help stop the build up. If you do get a build up you can also put a couple of gallons of water into the tank and let it swish while you drive home or to the next stop. We drain those 2 gallons into an old bucket for that purpose and dump it down the sewer or toilet at home.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #20

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you in advance!
Post trip routines. At home drain hot water heater by removing plug or rod and drain fresh water tank and this will prevent them from getting yucky, before leaving campgrounds we dump grey and black tanks, when we get home we check them again with a bucket under them, we make sure fridge is thawed cleaned and dried, make sure all trash is taken out, dirty laundry, etc. We level the trailer so next trip we can plug it in to cool fridge.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote