What to look for when buying Used Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 05:32 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp
New York
What to look for when buying Used Scamp

So , not a total new comer to RVing , I owned a Lance truck camper for 12 years , but new to travel trailers and definity all fiberglass. I'll be taking a 10 hour drive in a few days to check out a 10 year old 16' Scamp. We agreed on price on the phone and I got a good vibe from the seller. His acknowledged issues were a few none structural things Im fine with. He did say he had a few minor leaks through screws that attach fiberglass to frame (his description) . Problem solved , he says, with advice from RV shop , by backing out screws , siliconing or Lexcell , in hole and replacing screw.
Scamps have metal frames? I'll look under trailer , I would think I will see frame and bottom of plywood floor.
Any other things to look for , or tips please share. Or if this has already been covered on the forum please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance.
steve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Steve. The best suggestion I have is for you to download and print out the Buyer's Check List from the Document Center. It's great for reminding you all the items you should inspect prior to purchase.

Buyer's Check List - Document Center

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Burro
Used Scamp

I would get the trailer jacked up and get underneath with an ice pick. Take a really good look at the bottom of the entire trailer. If you see any suspect areas poke it with the ice pic to be sure it is solid. Almost everything else in the trailer is fixable but a bad flood is another very long and expensive issue especially when you know it has had leaking problems in the past.
Noel
Noel Gilbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Wisconsin
Registry
Check that floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
So , not a total new comer to RVing , I owned a Lance truck camper for 12 years , but new to travel trailers and definity all fiberglass. .
Get under with some tool and poke the floor looking for soft spots. Leaks under the windows and rivets can run down the wall un-noticed and rot the floor. Under the rear window where the table hooks is a popular place. But if it passes the RV check list you should be in good shape. At 10 years the axle should be good but check the tire date codes.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check the frame and axles. Look for Rust, Cracks, and the trailer saging on the axles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

New York
Thank you all.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:24 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree the floor is the most important issue to check. In addition to checking underneath, look and probe inside all the lower benches and cabinets where the floor is exposed. Rot typically starts from the inside.

Second issue is door fit. If there is a large gap at the bottom only, it’s often caused by a rotted door core from water seepage around the door window. It’s also a bear to fix.

And yes, use the checklist. Other stuff is less complicated, but it still costs money and can be used to negotiate the price.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #8

New York
So I took a 10 hour drive to Virginia and checked out the Scamp. The result , I'm a proud owner of a new to me Scamp. She's a 2010 16' layout #6 . Remarkably good shape. Solid floor , clean interior , clean exterior. Needs some work but all in all a lucky find. Tows like a dream , practically no mpg penalty I can see. Tucks right in behind my truck , no wind resistance like a utility trailer. Needs a little TLC here and there , but nothing overwhelming. Hoping to get a few trial runs in before winter really sets in.
Again , thanks for the advice. Great forum here , lots and lots of valuable intel!

Tags
scamp