What's reasonable for a gutted Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: Sarah
Trailer: Scamp 16
Oregon
What's reasonable for a gutted Scamp?

I am looking at a 1980 Scamp 13 that is completely gutted. No plumbing, no fixtures, no electrical, no appliances. Nothing inside. It is on a new trailer with higher clearance and driving lights that work. Fiberglass, door and windows are in good shape. Owner is asking $4200 for it, which seems high to me. I have been looking for a project Scamp and like that it is has the higher clearance, what do you think is a reasonable price? Looking for advice from those of you who have done total remodels of a Scamp!
Thanks <3
Sarahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The price is right where it should be if it is bolted to a good quality new frame that has wheels and tires as well a working lights. That is certainly not a rip off price or price gouging in action.

Frames are not cheap items. There was labor needed to remove and put the shell on a new frame. There was the cost of the as-is fiberglass trailer. It takes time to source and arrange for a new frame for a vintage travel trailer. Then there is the transporting of it home. Also the time to remove and scrap the old frame, wheels and tires. That price sounds like they are just trying to get out of it what they have into it rather than making a substantial profit.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
In my opinion ( and you know what they say about opinions )
That seems high remember you will need appliances /cushions/water/electric/gas systems
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Put me in the high priced camp as well. Finishing it with none of the original parts is going to be very expensive.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There are two prices. What the seller is willing to sell for and what the buyer is willing to pay. It's between the two to decide the actual price. Everything beyond that is speculation by those that aren't buying nor selling.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
While Donna ( as usual) makes a good point
I’m more of glass half empty guy.... maybe just pointing out the obvious
Good luck in whatever you decide
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you look at prices around the country, Oregon would be a good portion of that price.

I will advise you as I often do old car buyers....

Go to your kitchen table.
Bring along a photo of the trailer.
Bring along a stack of 200 $20 bills .
Place the two items on the table next to each other.
Choose the one you want the most!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you're planning on adding "appliances" to this trailer...possibly new axle, tires/wheels, not to mention electrical condition, battery, converter, plugs, 120 cord to plug in pedestal, etc, then I HIGHLY advise you to read my quote below before purchasing this trailer! It's going to get expensive QUICK!:

If I can use the quote from the best-selling Book of all time:

"For which of you, desiring to build a tower, doesn't first sit down and count the cost, to see if he has enough to complete it?"
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
To refurbish you need not buy new. You said it is on a new trailer. If this means new axle, brakes etc. then it may be worth the money. Offer less, say 1/2, but expect to pay asking price. $4200 is not unreasonable.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Name: Betty
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13
TX
I may be way out of my league to even comment, but it seems high to me. I bought my 1985 last year for $4500 in pretty good shape but I don't have a new frame. Just throwing my thoughts out there to you.
bojetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

I think you are SPOT-on. I would NOT give $4200 for a "gutted" trailer...with a new frame...it's still an old gutted trailer. But, that's just me...wouldnt want that much work starting off having that much in it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojetty View Post
I may way out of my league to even comment, but it seems high to me. I bought my 1985 last year for $4500 in pretty good shape but I don't have a new frame. Just throwing my thoughts out there to you.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

Out of curiosity, do you have pics of this trailer? I'm curious about the "higher clearance". You know that when you add all the items I mentioned earlier, that it's going to be weighted down some...right? Just make sure they're not telling you "More clearance" when you can actually SEE it but not realizing it's EMPTY and may not have that much more when it's loaded! Just something else to think about. A pic would tell alot more though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahm View Post
I am looking at a 1980 Scamp 13 that is completely gutted. No plumbing, no fixtures, no electrical, no appliances. Nothing inside. It is on a new trailer with higher clearance and driving lights that work. Fiberglass, door and windows are in good shape. Owner is asking $4200 for it, which seems high to me. I have been looking for a project Scamp and like that it is has the higher clearance, what do you think is a reasonable price? Looking for advice from those of you who have done total remodels of a Scamp!
Thanks <3
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #13

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Gutted Scamp

Hmmm, a rotting Scamp in West Linn, OR, was listed at that price. Price is too high. Suggest if you want a major rebuild, offer less.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Run don’t walk! Not worth pulling home. Spend a couple more bucks and buy something that’s road worthy.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:57 PM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
I think that is too high for an empty trailer, just a frame and body with door and windows. I have bought 2 trillis in the past that were shells on a frame with lights. I purchased both of them a lot cheaper and still would have been better to buy one in finished condition. Just remember that it will be a long project requiring specific tools, access to cheap parts, specific expertise, and all the travel cost and time to accumulate. Think of a all the expertise that goes into building a home, only 12 volt and 110V wiring, gas lines, and AC all in very close quarters.Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out...
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I'd offer what the new frame cost. Consider the shell as a freebie - how the heck would one sell just a shell?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
For a fair assessment of this camper a few pics especially of the frame is needed.

What concerns me is you say it has a new trailer under it & the first thing that came to my mind is someone replaced the original rusted out Scamp frame with a 5'x10' utility trailer. That may be where the "extra clearance" came from. Now if it has a proper new frame under it that's a different ballgame. Pics would be a big help here.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #18

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
My two cents....price seems high for what you are getting. Take a look at the classified section here on Fiberglass RV....seems you could get a lot more for your money. It will cost thousands of dollars to replace the components.....plus lots of labor hours...just doesn't seem worth it unless you are bored....lonely and have no place to go for a few years. Good luck....whatever you decide.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #19

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
In my opinion the gutted shell is worth $1000. Assuming a proper new or refurbished Scamp frame $1500 and a new Axle and tires $800. The only time you really take labor into account is when you are dealing with a dealer or shop that is trying to make money.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug
NC
Check the structure

Price is too high. Also always double check if the fiberglass closet, countertop, etc are in tact, because they supply support to the structure. If they are gutted too, more work to support the exterior of the camper.
jpd51el is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp