What's the matter with our sticking windows? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
What's the matter with our sticking windows?

Hi, all.

Our amerigo swing windows are starting to stick badly in one or both lower corners when we try to open or shut them. Paul has to go outside and jiggle them to get them either fully shut or open. It's maddening. They didn't used to act like that.

What's going on?

Any easy solutions?

Any solutions?

Thanks.

Kai

our stinking windows
our sticking windows
our sticky windows
our stinky windows
our ...
Old 06-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What's the matter with our sticking windows?

Dunno what changed, but sounds like there are parts binding a little... maybe try rubbing a candle on metal parts and something like Armor-All on rubber gaskets?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Can the hinges be adjusted to raise the windows?
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Are you sure that the frame isn't beginning to sag a little bit? It doesn't take much to cause binding to occur. I noticed that your trailer is getting on in years, and it might be reaching the point, structurally, where it is approaching its lifespan.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Registry
Hi, Jon in AZ, good easy possibility, we'll try that first.

John in Michigan, we'll look at that first, too.

Casita Greg, possible ouch! DO these trailers have a fiberglass lifespan? 1973...it's 45 years old now...guess I thought the body itself, the fiberglass--like diamonds--was forever. Might be the case, though...

We'll inspect/adjust the hinges location if that's possible and try the candlewax and Armor-All first as being the easiest and cross our fingers. Maybe it's just oxidation of the aluminum frames and some polishing and cleaning and wax will set it right. I hope.

Thanks!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I just did a fix on the sliding aluminum catches that hold the door windows at different positions. I used a lubricant product I always have on hand for my wood working tools surfaces on things such as the tops of planers, table saws, joiners, etc where you want the wood to glide easily over the metal and also have it help prevent rust forming on those metal surfaces.

It worked great for making the sliding latches easy to move. You can buy it in some hardware stores or you could go to Southcenter Mall area in Seattle and gbuy it at Rockler Woodworking where they are selling "Bostik Glidecote". The advantage of these woodworking products is when woodworking they don't leave a residue on the wood your are machining which might interfere with adhesives or paints. That is certainly a good thing not to have unwanted chemical residue transferring to surfaces such as the fiberglass. It is also better than putting on waxes or oils as those products will attract dirt where as these dry lubricants will repel dirt and moisture. Using wax could eventually create more problems than it solves over the long term.

Having been an aircraft mechanic I have learned a few things about aluminum. One of those things is that it is porous and if you put silicone or wax on it you will never get it all back out of the metal. That is OK if you are never going to stick anything else to the aluminum but not so good if you ever want to paint it or stick adhesives (including caulking) to it.

Keeping the moving parts on windows lubricated is not a do it once and never think about it again chore. This is something you will need to do every once in a while, likely once a year. Situation normal for metal rubbing against another piece of metal, you do have to renew the lubricants now and again.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
How are you leveling your trailer?
Are you using jack stands to level?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
First thing I would do is lube all the working parts. If that fixes it Ok move on, If it only marginaly makes an improvement use a small square and make sure the window frame is still square. If not it may be time to pull the window and rebed it in the trailer with emphsis on keeping the frame square. I don't know the costruction of your trailer but there may be a failing wood structure behind the window that needs to be repaired.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Registry
Yes, Paul uses jack stands on heavy-duty plastic pads to level.

Never considered it might bind the windows...

Paul replaced all the wood window bracing in 2016, so that's pretty new.

We're going to smooth out the aluminum with nylon scrub pads and lubricate --clean and lube--first. He said the hinges such as they are look unchanged. But he'll give 'em a wiggle and a pull to see. He'll also take the square out there and see if the window openings are true.

Thanks!

Bostik Glidecote We'll look for that! THANKS!

Kai

We haven't done any of it just yet...I'm hoping we can work on one of the windows today.

I'm hoping it may be he's just overtightening the jack stands--he does so love for things to be solid!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #10

Registry
Paul cleaned the first window opening, and I cleaned the window itself. They were FILTHY! We didn't even lubricate, waiting to get that Bostik Glidecoat…

Well, he just came in and reported the window can once again be opened and closed from the inside. WOW! THANKS!

This has been added to our routine: clean the windows!

Also, Paul is going to adjust the placement and manner of the jack stands, tightening them less and moving them closer to the axle in the future.

Thanks, everyone! I'd say, "Who knew," but clearly it was only us who didn't have a clue. One more Peanut Learning Experience.

And one more example of how FGRV people are the best!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
You level the trailer side to side with your leveling blocks. Once level you use your stabilizers and or jacks stands to sure up your camper.

Using jacks to level your trailer puts undo pressure on the frame. And will tork and twist the frame.
Causing your door and or windows to not operate properly.

My question is how do they open when the trailer is just sitting with no stands?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #12

Registry
mszabo:

The windows opened about the same even when we stopped along the way at lunchtime or before Paul got the stands on.

But your advice is somewhat different from the way he has been levelling it, so it's well worth paying attention to. He does use levelling blocks, but maybe not as much as he should have been. He said he's going to change procedures now, and said to thank you.

(And all for the good ideas!)

Kai
Old 06-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #13

Registry
2nd window cleaned...again, Paul gives it a thumbs up. I think by the time we get them lubed and change the jacks a bit, we may have solved it.

Breathing a sigh of relief here...

THANKS!

Kai

Tags
windows