Wheel bearing grease seals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: fred
Trailer: boler 1974
Colorado
Wheel bearing grease seals

1974 boler with the Henschen Dura Flex axles that are found on zillions of trailers. Packing wheel bearings as part of frame restoration. No numbers on old seals. Spent many days on the computooter and in parts stores with no luck. CAN SOMEONE HELP? Seeing as there are one of these axles behind every other bush I can't figure how it has been so impossible to look up seals to buy and install. What do you mean...frustrated?

BIG thanks in advance, Fred
fred boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You need to measure the inner and outer diameters. You can probably buy them at an auto part store. If not, then at a place like etrailer.com, for sure.

etrailer.com - Products grease seals
Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've found that wheel seal measurements can vary by a small amount, especially the outer diameter. I had to return a set because the outside diameter was off by about .010" from a stock seal. Fortunately I have an account with my local auto parts store that is independently owned and has a wider choice of where they can get parts, and more knowledged parts guys than the franchise stores, so there was no problem in getting the correct size seal. Because of this issue, I recently bought on eBay a vintage assortment of wheel seals, so I'll have better luck when I need a seal. I'll have several sizes to go through and try, and the boxes have the part numbers on them. This will make my life easier as I have four campers, four utility trailers, and a boat trailer. You need to find a parts store where they can measure a seal and have the books to look up what you need.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #4

Name: Justin
Trailer: Trail mite
Idaho
You can also bring the seal down to an industrial supplier like Kaman Industrial Technologies or any of the other brand x's. We size up many trailer bearings and seals a week at my location. I would be more then happy in helping you figure this out. Especially if you have the bearings identified already. Most of the time there are about 3-4 common sets of seals and bearings
Gr8WhtHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Redneck Trailer, Check out page 39 for seal info./sizes.
Eddie
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Porta...nt/files/B.pdf
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote