Wheel bearings - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2006, 06:46 AM   #21

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
The bearing hubs, or races, are clearly not bad, far as I can tell. I assume"bad" refers to uneven wear marks or cracks, etc. Mine look the same as the new ones supplied with my bearings kit.

In my search of previous posts on this subject the consensus seemed to be if you're replacing the bearings it is best to replace the races, regardless. I usually defer to the wisdom of consensus.

But, Pete, you changed my mind. The old races (cups) will remain in place. Like somebody's daddy once said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

On to another race.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I think it's time to repost an old favorite in the Jokes section...

off to THAT forum...

*ZOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM*
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Generally if you are changing the cones because the rollers are pitted, you also change the cups as they will probably be pitted also or about ready to be.....I believe it would be foolish to change half the bearing, especially since you usually but them in kits, unless you are doing it under an emergency situation, and will do it properly when you get where you're going....replacing the cups isn`t really a rocket science, just take care......Oh, also don`t use chisels or screw drivers!.....they have their different uses......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:43 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Benny's right! If you change any part of the bearing set, then you should change everything -- There may be a slight amount of matched wear between the cup and cone that you can't see. In fact, if you clean and reinstall the cones, you should be careful not to switch the inner for the outer (applies to the 13', where both bearings are the same; larger spindles generally have different bearing sets for inner and outer).

Bad bearing parts may show cracks, pits, or heat discoloration.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
^ What they said. NEVER, EVER replace one half of a matched set of bearing and race unless it is a roadside emergency - and even then, it's not that much work to replace the races at the same time. Even though the races may look OK, change them.

A brass rod works well as a drift pin but sometimes they can be stuck in there pretty good and I've had to resort to a steel punch (NOT a center punch!) to break the races loose because the brass wasn't strong enough. A big socket and a press work the best to reinstall the races, but if you are careful you can use the same brass drift to tap the new ones back in - the important thing is to make sure they are seated against the shoulder all the way around. It's not a bad idea to jack up the wheel and check to see if the bearings have loosened up any after a short trip.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway - cleanliness counts when dealing with wheel bearings. Make sure you keep all the dirt and rust out of the grease. I've found that when servicing wheel bearings, an old cookie sheet that has been retired from the kitchen is perfect for holding the cap, cotter pin, nut, washer, and bearings. Set it off to one side so you don't get any flying debris where you don't want it. Cleans up easily for next time with a paper towel, too.
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #26

New Mexico
Registry
Man oh, man, you guys got me spinning. First clockwise, then counterclockwise. OK OK. The (new) consensus rules! Out, damned race, even if you're American made and your replacement is Chinese.

By the way replacing only one of a matched set of two bearings on an axle was NEVER mentioned here or even ever considered.
Attached Thumbnails
bearings.jpg  
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM   #27

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I think a bearing "set" in the context of this discussion has referred to the matched set of one outer race and one inner race/roller assembly.

If I had one bearing out of two in a hub showing signs of distress enough to mak me want to change it out I would advise going ahead and replacing the other bearing set as well, and this is why: The bearing that is beginning to go has more than likely already been shedding metal particles which have contaminated the grease and most likely have migrated over to the other bearing, where they have got a toehold on causing that one to fail, too.

Bearings, seals, and grease are cheap. A tow followed by new bearings, seals, grease, stub axles, and hubs installed at the going shop rate are not.

My two cents.....
Lee Hillsgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #28

Amen! I`m done with this discussion because it has turned into a repititious scenario.....have a great evening.... Benny
Old 05-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #29

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
A trick I use for re-installing races is the following:

remove old race from hub,using a brass drift
carefully, using safety glasses and gloves cut a thin slice out of the race on its short edge
(a hand grinder with a cutting wheel works best)
use this to set the new race, with the large edge against the new race.
carefully tap the new race into place working around the race to be sure it is evenly seated
remove the old race.
because you have cut the slot, the race should just slide out, being just smaller now when squeezed into the hub
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #30

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The bit of information which might be missing for those with less mechanical experience might be some tool name definition:
  • chisel = sharp edge, used to split or cut, should never get near a bearing race
  • punch = a long tool intended to be struck by a hammer on one end and apply some sort of force to something with the other end (maybe a bearing race)
  • pin punch = a punch with straight sides, used to move an object (such as a bearing race), not to cut or mark it
  • drift = a punch used to move an object (such as a bearing race), not to cut or mark it; the Wikipedia definition says that this applies to tapered tools, with the taper used to align holes in parts, which is what I call and alignment punch; the term is being used in this discussion in a manner equivalent to a pin punch
  • centre punch = conically pointed tool to make starting pit to guide drilling or other operation; never to be near a bearing
I use steel pin punches to remove bearing races (a job which I do as infrequently as I can, and only a handful of times in my life), but I know that I should use a brass tool, which is softer than the iron hub and therefore less likely to damage anything.

It is really difficult to tap a race in evenly. This should be done with a press, but a vice can be a usable substitute for those fortunately enough to have a vice that opens wide enough to get the hub between the jaws. I had not heard of Joe's technique before, so that covers my new thing to learn today...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #31
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I hope that anyone that is attempting to do their own bearings can at least identify those tools. If not:

LAY THE TOOL DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM MY BEARINGS!

We have a small brass hammer that we USED to use for bearings. I now take it to the trailer place and have then do it!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #32

New Mexico
Registry
<div align="center">I have been adrift,
and lost all my bearings,
so I raced to Home Depot
for answers and caring.

O chisels galore,
were there in the store,
and all had their points
but for only to score
or cut, or to shatter
should I use one for this,
my project that mattered,
my project amiss.

Then whoa, I looked,
in the cellar so deep,
through the tools of my pa
where great secrets still creep.

I found a squared chisel
I knew would not slip.
I pounded it clockwise
and loosened the grip
of race number one,
then race number two, off
and finished the job
I once had no clue of.</div>
Attached Thumbnails
bearingB.jpg  
Old 05-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #33

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Send a message via AIM to rporter Send a message via MSN to rporter Send a message via Yahoo to rporter
Quote:
Well Myron, if your shop/garage is well equipped, you`ll have a set of bearing drivers which are different diameter slugs used to drive bearings in or out, but if you don`t , like me, the best thing that I use is a brass shaft,(for want of a better word), and drive the bearing race out with it and a hammer....hit side face of the bearing in various different spots so that it `ll come out fairly straight.....you can use a steel drift punch also with at least a 1/4' shank, preferably larger dia. ....put the hub on something solid to gain maximum impact power from the hammer blows.....hope this works for you...good luck and don`t miss too often with the hammer or a very sore hand could ensue, ....oh, and don`t forget your safety glasses, new eyes are hard to get......Benny
Years of removing bearing races etc. have led me to conclude nothing is more efficient than a 10 0r 12 in piece of 1/2" cold roll shaft material. It is not tempered severely and does not tend to chip like cold chisel or brass drifts. To prevent dinged knuckles lock shaft in vise grips and hold them instead of shaft. R. Port
rporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #34

Actually there is a difference between the way that I know what I should use to remove/ install bearings because of my trade my trade in life, till I retired, and to what I actually would use if need be....any piece of suitable cold roll shafting/round bar or whatever, 1/2" - 3/4" bolts about 4"-6" long or more, cheap sockets for small bearing, large thicker washers, you name it, as long as what I was using wasn`t hardened in any way that would chip and bury hard sharp metal shards an inch or two deep in your arms, or smaller pieces in your eyes, like someone said..."don`t ask how I know"...one reason that I can`t have an MRI scan, metal still there....stuff like this would happen, especially in a bind, and without proper tools on an unexpected job which had to be done yesterday! ....Of course in a shop with good facilities you`d use hydraulic presses, bearing splitters, torches, slide hammers, bearing drivers/ pullers,etc. .......the most important thing to remember is..."Wear Safety Glasses" .......its a kinda do as I say, not as I do thing!......Benny
Old 05-12-2006, 10:51 PM   #35

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Princess Auto has a bearing puller on sale this week for $14.99 CDN
descriiption here
Can be ordered online.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #36

New Mexico
Registry
Nice deal, but nah. My new bearings and new races are now a done deal. Lookit dat nice new marine grease!
Attached Thumbnails
hub.jpg  
Old 05-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #37

Hi Myron, couple questions....are your bearings both same size for the axle? also do you have brakes on your trailer? ....Benny
Old 05-15-2006, 07:54 AM   #38

New Mexico
Registry
Yes, both bearings and races, front and back, are identical. When I first towed it home (a very agreeable tow) it was using no connection to brakes. Later discovered brake shoes are there on wheel, but wires were cut. I have not made a decision on what to do about that yet.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #39

Velly interesting, At first look I thought that you didn`t have brakes and appears that, if both inboard and out board bearings are the same size, that the hub was put on the axle the wrong way around because you can`t see if there is a drum or it it is just a hub without wheel studs....thanks for the insight.....my erroneous observation.....Benny
Old 05-16-2006, 10:57 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Myron, if you decide to replace the magnets, you will probably find that an entire brake plate, with magnet, shoes and springs is about the same or even less expensive than the magnet alone and all you have to do is bolt it on.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote