When to Winterize - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesML View Post
G'day. Rv Antifreeze--Generally regarded as safe--by who?

Hope you're also avoiding H2O.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #22

Name: James
Trailer: 1976 Boler Voyager 13'
Ontario
When to winterize

G'day again. This is totally off the subject but--- To Glenn-- Avoiding H2O to some extent. Fortunately, we live in the headwaters of our water supply here in Elliot Lake, so the glyphosate contamination is probably minimal here--actual unknown. But we also use a reverse osmosis system on our drinking and cooking water--cannot get a definitive answer from the mfr. as to exactly which contaminants are removed to which extent. Isn't it interesting that "Health" Canada has extended the permit to Monsanto for 15 years, in spite of the ban in Germany, Mexico and other sensible countries. "Health" Canada also has an incestuous relationship with the polluters just like the CDC, FDA and NIH in the US. Money trumps all.
JamesML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #23

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
There are detailed instructions for using an air compressor to blow out the lines and the pump on a Casita. Google “How to winterize your on Travel Trailer by RV Adventures” on YouTube.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Just a few comments here addressed at many already posted, but not intended as critical, some opinion, others fact.

1. Contaminants of emerging concern: Term used in water industry. With wide scale use of antibiotics in raising food animals and the introduction of “the pill,” it is very difficult to locate a drinking water source that does not contain trace amounts or greater of antibiotics or hormones. When ingested, these compounds are eventually excreted and find their way into the water supply.

2. Commonly used disinfectants: Water suppliers typically use chlorine or chloramines (chlorine/ammonia) to disinfect public water supplies (not in huge quantities but toxic compounds).

3. Any company marketing reverse osmosis equipment should be able to to define its exact capabilities. If not, I personally wouldn’t be using it, because I wouldn’t find the company “reputable.”

4. The likes and dislikes of individual tastes cannot be disputed. What tastes good to one person may “taste like crap” to another.

5. GRAS: What?????: People eat raw fish. Is this practice GRAS? Not in my mind and with my exposure to microbiology years ago when getting a biology degree. Puffer fish is a delicacy in Japan. GRAS, perhaps, but I wouldn’t touch it. Getting behind the wheel and driving or towing, GRAS? Not if you look at statistics on carnage on the highways, yet we all do it. Surgery? GRAS but people die on the table every day. Enough said about “GRAS.”

6. RV Antifreeze: I know of no documented fatalities or even illness from its use. Then again, I do not winterize my trailer, but have done it for others when I lived in New England. Both methods (antifreeze and compressed air) work if done properly. But if someone here can introduce documented proof that the use of RV Antifreeze has ever caused health problems for anyone, please do so. Not liking the taste is not a health problem, it is an understandable and individual preference.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Getting back to the topic; when to winterize? I live in the Twin Cities and usually wait too long, but make up for it by running a heater for the few nights the low temperatures get into the teens to keep pipes from freezing. This usually ends up being early to mid-November.

Here is my winterizing procedure; Scamp should copy this and put it into the owners manual: http://scamp.n0kfb.org/tech/winterizing/index.htm

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #26

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Purge Process to Winterize Your RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
You can avoid using RV antifreeze by blowing out the lines with air.
Drain the fresh water tank and water heater first.
Here is an excellent video that walks you thru the above process:

I use a small electric air compressor that I picked up years ago to maintain my vehicles' tire pressure and connect it to the city water connection using a blow out plug. Then, I splash about a cup of antifreeze into the sink and shower drains since my Casita has P-traps for those lines into the gray tank.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:28 PM   #27

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Albers View Post
Winterizing should be rightly called decommissioning which takes your trailer out of service making it unusable for a significant portion of the year, which takes time, money and effort, both on the way in and on the way out. My goal is 4 season operation to eliminate all of the above and make the unit available 12m/y, 24/7.
A four season trailer allows you to use it all year round (within reason). However, if it will not be used for any length of time in cold weather with the heat and power off, it must be winterized just like any other trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:53 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Finally got around to De-winterizing the Parkliner today - July 5th. -Don't think it will freeze again now … for a while!
I connected hose to the house spigot, (with an inline filter at the end) the hose filled then suddenly stopped. ??? The inlet screen at the filter was clogged with crud - I think from creepy-crawlies that had found a way into the open end of my outdoor - freeze proof - spigot. (first time to use it this year)
So, the moral of the story: after you drain your outdoor faucets in the fall - in cold climates - Be sure to plug the opening, to keep mud wasps, spiders, etc out.
THEN be sure to flush it all out before conecting the hose.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote