Where do you get Scamp front opening window? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Where do you get Scamp front opening window?

I was reading that I would eventually have to take the front window out and replace the rubber gasket because it shrinks and gets hard. Well if I have to take it out anyway I thought it would be great if I can replace it with an opening one.

Then I came across this

I think it's an older Scamp but is it possible to put something like this in newer scamps?

Has anybody done this or doesn't have to be this but something that can be opened? If so, I think I can look forward to the front window leaking instead of worrying!
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 11.51.50 PM.jpg  
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy in maine View Post
I was reading that I would eventually have to take the front window out and replace the rubber gasket because it shrinks and gets hard. Well if I have to take it out anyway I thought it would be great if I can replace it with an opening one.

Then I came across this

I think it's an older Scamp but is it possible to put something like this in newer scamps?

Has anybody done this or doesn't have to be this but something that can be opened? If so, I think I can look forward to the front window leaking instead of worrying!
I suggest that there's a reason Scamp only sold front opening window for a very short time.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:51 AM   #3

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I suggest that there's a reason Scamp only sold front opening window for a very short time.
Sure for Scamp it’s a win win all around, it’s a lot cheaper, a lot faster and a lot easier to install a 1 piece plexi. I’m sure if they could they would have put ALL the windows that way lol
Old 07-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Through the course of the years of manufacturing, Scamp has tried several different front opening windows. FAIL. When the trailer is under tow in the rain, the rain is driven into the inside. Seals fail, caulking fails, etc. You'll notice none of the all-molded-towable manufacturers installs a front opening window. It's not because plexiglass is cheap...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:44 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The other difficulty is the shape of the shell. Windows that open are designed to be installed in a flat, vertical plane. Scamp reworked the rear of the shell to create a suitable mounting surface for the rear slider. For a number of reasons- appearance, aerodynamics, leak potential, and yes, cost vs. benefit- they did not do that in front. The shell curvature is more pronounced in front than it ever was at the back, and it leans more off the vertical, which creates drainage issues.

The 3-panel awning window in the photo was a short-lived experiment. I've not seen one in person- curious whether Scamp bent the frame slightly at the section dividers to accommodate the curve or just slathered on additional sealant (that's what Scamp did with the small front bath windows, also now discontinued). As Donna says, the result had an unacceptably high seal failure rate and Scamp pulled the plug after only one or two model years (around '76-''77).

If you were able to find one from a vintage Scamp, if you were willing to fiddle with the installation and sealing, if you have covered storage, if you could live with a little water getting in occasionally... give it a go! If you do find one, verify the dimensions- it's not hard to make the opening a little larger, but it's a problem to make it smaller.

Commonly available modern windows that open will require significant modification of the fiberglass to fit, seal, and drain correctly.

I agree the lack of ventilation at the front is somewhat of a problem, but I decided the trade-off is the uninterrupted, panoramic view from a window without dividers or screens.

As to maintenance- windows that open require more frequent attention than the front plexiglass window. You should expect to reseal side and rear windows every 8-10 years or so. The fixed plexiglass window can last several decades before resealing.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We replaced our front Plexi window with a slider that we purchased direct from Scamp. We already had a front window travel protector so we didn't have to fab anything for that. We haven't had any leaks or trouble with the front window. Installation was fairly straightforward as the interior clamp ring screws to the outside window frame and sandwiches the body. We didn't see any difference between the body in front compared to the body in the back when we had the rear window out. The might be a slight curvature but the window assembly will bow some and the body head some flex too. My only regret was that we got a slider rather than the crank out that were available at the time. I'm not sure if they are still available.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #7

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPatWork View Post
We replaced our front Plexi window with a slider that we purchased direct from Scamp. We already had a front window travel protector so we didn't have to fab anything for that. We haven't had any leaks or trouble with the front window. Installation was fairly straightforward as the interior clamp ring screws to the outside window frame and sandwiches the body. We didn't see any difference between the body in front compared to the body in the back when we had the rear window out. The might be a slight curvature but the window assembly will bow some and the body head some flex too. My only regret was that we got a slider rather than the crank out that were available at the time. I'm not sure if they are still available.
Ohhhhh!! Thank you so much! So it is available and it's working!

I agree, I would love to have the crank out but if Scamp doesn't have it any more the slide out is still a hundred times better than the plexi.

I'm actually excited to have the front window leak now!

As Jon mentioned, it might be more frequent to change out the gaskets than the plexi but if it's a functioning window with the breeze going through from front to back mmmm it's way worth it!

Actually, maybe the slide out IS better, have you seen all the mods people did to make an awning out of their front window cover? If you did that I think you will be able to leave the window open when raining and the slide out has much more air flow than a crank
Old 07-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape 17B has an opening front window. I've had no problems with it in 10 years. Bonus is that the rock guard allows you to have window wide open in the rain.
Shortly after I bought my trailer in 2008, Escape no longer used the opening window, but that was because the window manufacturer dropped the combo opening window/rock guard from its line.
Attached Thumbnails
Opening front window.jpg   Opening front window ext.jpg  

Old 07-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #9

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My Escape 17B has an opening front window. I've had no problems with it in 10 years. Bonus is that the rock guard allows you to have window wide open in the rain.
Shortly after I bought my trailer in 2008, Escape no longer used the opening window, but that was because the window manufacturer dropped the combo opening window/rock guard from its line.
Haha you beat me to it!! YES!! the awning!! So I think DanPatWork was fortunate to get the sliding window rather than the crank
Old 07-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #10

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Scamp carries two larger windows. The one for the back window is a slider, always has been. When they changed to radius jalousies on the sides in 2010, the back window was not included. They also stock a large radius jalousie window for installation in side dinette models. I think it's a different size, but I could be wrong. You can find the dimensions in the parts store on the website.

I've never heard of anyone installing a slider without fiberglass modification, and I'm still skeptical it will give good long-term performance, but have at it! At least it's reversible if it doesn't work out.
Good idea yes, it's VERY reversible

On a side note when did Scamp reverse the jalousie turning thing? You have to turn left to close and right to open, who does that?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 AM   #11

Scamp currently sells two sizes of plexiglass windows: 19x36 and 19x43

The largest sliding window they're selling is for the rear window: 18x42 As you can read, it's a inch smaller both directions than the largest plexiglass window. And remember, glass doesn't bend, plexiglass does.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #12

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scamp currently sells two sizes of plexiglass windows: 19x36 and 19x43

The largest sliding window they're selling is for the rear window: 18x42 As you can read, it's a inch smaller both directions than the largest plexiglass window. And remember, glass doesn't bend, plexiglass does.
Maybe because of the rails that inch makes it fit just right? I don't know, or DanPatWork ordered a custom?
He says he's using it the way it came so I'm assuming it's glass, but if not plexi is no big deal you can replace it with plexi easy but maybe that inch clearance makes the glass sit perfect?

Anywho it's an easy reversible mod, I'm sure it's plenty doable
Old 07-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #13

Take a straight edge out to your trailer and lay it right in the middle of the window. Does it touch on either side of the window or is there a big gap? If a gap, that will tell you how much a metal window frame would need to bend to fit the opening.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #14

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Take a straight edge out to your trailer and lay it right in the middle of the window. Does it touch on either side of the window or is there a big gap? If a gap, that will tell you how much a metal window frame would need to bend to fit the opening.
Yes, it's not much different than the back I think it's VERY doable! YAY!!

He installed this in 2008! That's living proof it works for 10 years without any leaks or any problems. It'll prob last more woohoo! I'm so stoked!!

Having that window vs not having it will make loads of difference
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 4.53.49 PM.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
That appears to be a rear window not a front window.
Old 07-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Where do you get Scamp front opening window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That appears to be a rear window not a front window.
I think it is, Byron. If you look inside, you can see the door and closet in the expected locations.

However, it was not a simple replacement, Amy. There is custom fiberglass work around the window, creating a recess (similar to the back) for a flat window installation. If you enlarge the picture on a good-sized screen you can see a crease under the window. It did not come from the factory like that. It is well done, but necessitated painting the shell due to the exposed fresh fiberglass work (either that or gelcoat restoration). Not exactly a beginner's project.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #17

ME
Quote:
I think it is, Byron. If you look inside, you can see the door and closet in the expected locations.

However, it was not a simple replacement, Amy. There is custom fiberglass work around the window, creating a recess (similar to the back) for a flat window installation. If you enlarge the picture on a good-sized screen you can see a crease under the window. It did not come from the factory like that. It is well done, but necessitated painting the shell due to the exposed fresh fiberglass work (either that or gelcoat restoration). Not exactly a beginner's project.
Hmm...not sure of the fiberglass, he'll have to weigh in on that.

But the thing is, I used to work with metal. Bending the frame is easy if you have a torch but in this case I think a heat gun would suffice. You make a base out of wood or metal bar etc and curve it on but I think I can eyeball it for this don't know have to look at it first. Anyway even though the frame would be curved the inside is rubber. It flexes and the glass/plexi would be straight INSIDE the gasket. Yes, there may be gaps toward the middle and may need to add foam etc but it's not that of a curvature. I think I can make it work, especially if I change out the glass to plexi.

To me it's worth the gamble, it's not thousands of dollars it's a few hundred dollars if I'm out. If it flops just take it out and put in the original plexi

But with everything DIY I think most people DO make it work in the end if you know what I mean, you just keep brainstorming for days and nights until you get that AHA! moment

But it's nice to have that backup and I can just put the plexi back in

Thank you all for your replies! I'm actually EXCITED hahaha!!
Old 07-29-2018, 10:25 PM   #18

Registry
When we did our rebuild we had the advantage of test fitting our rear window where the Plexi was. I might not have spent the money otherwise. I won't swear to it but I believe the dimensions on the Hehr window is smaller than actual size due to the exterior flange. I believe they give conservative measurements, or the sizes have changed since we did our camper. I would ask your parts sales person to take actual measurements for you. We bought direct from Scamp and the window came well crated for shipping. When we installed our windows we used butyl tape under all flanges to squeeze out when clamped tight.

I hope this helps you but as always, YMMV.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:

I'm not sure if you are discussing our mods here but in case you are, there were no modifications done to the shell at the front of the camper except we filled in the holes where the old stone guard hardware had been. We didn't build up or modify the window opening. Yes the window we put in was sold by Scamp as a rear window.
We choose to paint the shell a color to match our tow vehicle. The yacht paint was a compromise with all of the other glass work we would end up doing and the price of gel coat repair.
HTH
Old 07-30-2018, 06:36 AM   #20

Arizona
Registry
I was talking about the blue Scamp in the picture Amy posted, and the contour of the front shell appears different than my 2008 Scamp 13. More than that I can't say.

Tags
scamp