Where Do You Stow Stuff? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #21

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
in my 13, before I made the big bed a permanent entity, I would roll up the bedding towards the back wall and cover it with a throw, like a Burrito! (Burro.. get it? OK.. off to my room)

In a Burro or Uhaul, you could do this because there is a stupid rear seat that serves no other purpose but to annoy
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...In a Burro or Uhaul, you could do this because there is a stupid rear seat that serves no other purpose but to annoy
Gina, do you mean that the dinette is U-shaped, with the seat wrapping around the table and thus including a portion against the rear wall?

P.S. "Burrito"...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Quote:
Attachment 6522

They came with the trailer when I bought it, but I've seen them available in most RV supply stores, like Camping World.
Thanks, Frederick, I'll keep a look out. Heading out on our first trip next week,and I'm nervous as a cat!!
P.S. Just checked Camping World under porta-legs and googled porta-legs. You may have a rare old item there!! Rats!!
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Brian, yes.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:04 PM   #25

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
You may have a rare old item there!

They're still available.
Porta Leggs on eBay
Another set of Porta Leggs on eBay
The reason you did not find any in a Google search is the spelling: The brand name is [b]Porta-Leggs
Old 02-25-2007, 03:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Whew!

I dunno. So much stuff!

Maybe it would be better to just take a vacation.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Roger H, I agree somewhat, it is the main reason we have not done this mod, but I would not use a 5 gal can, but a 2 1/2 gal, not a lot but a little lighter, and if one puts weight in back you would have to add counter weight to the front to balance it out somewhat. One would have to be careful with the amount placed on the back. Use a small box, maybe make a smaller carrier, etc.
Roger didn't go far enough; it isn't just balancing the weight on either end, it's also how much weight you have way out on the back end.

Illustration: Picture a barbell set with two 20lb weights in the *center* of the bar; pick it up, spin around and abruptly stop the spin. Now move the weights out to the ends of the bar, pick it up, spin around and stop again. In both cases, the bar was balanced, but in the second case with the weights out on the end, the spin is harder to control and stop.

That's what you do when you put weight as far from the axle as you can...

Even picking the bar up in both cases, you will likely have moved your hands and perhaps your feet.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #28

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Well said, Pete. For the nerds, the weights-on-the-ends situation is a high polar moment of inertia, in case you have seen this term before.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
Quote:

They're still available.
Porta Leggs on eBay
Another set of Porta Leggs on eBay
The reason you did not find any in a Google search is the spelling: The brand name is [b]Porta-Leggs
THANKS FREDERICK - ONE OF THEM IS MINE
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
One thing I need to do is start saving the great idea's that I have seen, and what I could use. In one photo they had a wire shelf which went above the large dinette side. It was close to the roof but held the bedding during the day when the dinette was being used. The shelf went across the whole roof.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #31
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
To answer John Blair's questions of Feb 21 2007:

Specifically where do you stow the following items while traveling and also at your site should you not need them:

-a couple of portable solar panels (50-75 watt)

We carry a single (20" x 32") solar panel inside our Casita, strapped to the large dinette tabletop, when we're on the road. At camp, the solar panel goes on the roof of the Casita... unless we're parked in some serious shade. (A rubber suction cup is affixed to each corner of the panel.)

<strike>-small generator (planning on a Yamaha 2400)
-5 gal gas can</strike>

(We don't have a need for these.)

-waste water tote for dry camping

This rides in the shower when we're on the road.

-5 gal water container to go get more water if needed

I use 1-gallon jugs from purchased drinking water. (I used to hassle with cleaning out old milk jugs, but buying a gallon of drinking water every now and then is MUCH easier.) Four of them fit in a milk crate, which rides in the shower and stows under the trailer when we're camped. Using four or five 1-gallon containers is more flexible than a single 5 gallon ... I don't usually want to carry all four or five gallons at once; if I do I can take the whole crate (plus an extra ).

-HughesNet and Directv satellite dishes and components

On the odd occasion that these go along, the dish is stowed in the back of our tow vehicle. The receiver has ridden on our bedding --we've never carried it and the solar panel on the same trip-- or in the back seat of our tow vehicle (extended cab pickup truck).

-screen room

We don't have one of these, but we do have a large ground cover for under the awning. It stows in a duffle bag, beneath the bed or large dinette.

-outside table and folding chairs

We use camp chairs and a small folding table; these items stow under the bed or big dinette.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #32

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Thank you all for the great ideas. The ideas gave me the basis of a good plan to work from once I have my trailer. I think I will build a platform in the back of my Windstar (like the Watt's Box without the drawers) to put the big bulky stuff like the satellite dish and solar panels plus tools and emergency gear underneath. I will cover it with carpet and the dogs can ride on top (they will like the view better too). That way some stuff will stay out of the way if we don't need it. I made a file for the other ideas so I will have them when my trailer arrives.

Thanks again!

John
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #33

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Solar panels are delicate-put them on top.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #34

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe Side Dinette
Hi Jim,

Thanks. I know what you mean. That's why I am building a special spot for them under the platform. They will be more protected under the platform... otherwise three large dogs will be standing on them.

John

ps: I noticed that you are in Marin. I am just north of you in West Sonoma County.

Click image for larger version

Name:	do00952r_titles.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	6632
John Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hello John,

We have been full time RVers for sometime now and we have not ever needed a generator or satellite dish (we do not need TV on a regular basis). We have internet coverage through Verizon AirCard which is great with few exceptions. We have a small solar panel that keeps our one 12 volt battery charged; we also use an electrical power inverter to use our computers, electric shaver and etc. Our portable solar panel is a UniSolar mounted on a an easel type frame and rides on almost any flat area van or trailer.

As for lawn chairs and fresh water storage, they are carried in the van. We don't have waste water storage at present and have not really needed one, as we carry our grey water to a dump area in a covered five gallon pail.

We have one small dog who travels in a crate in the van and sleeps in her crate at night in the trailer. In the past we have taken out our rear seats to eliminate the extra weight and provide us with extra storage space.

We wish you lots of luck and good travels.
D. 'n L.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #36

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Hello John,

[b]We have been full time RVers for sometime now and we have not ever needed a generator or satellite dish (we do not need TV on a regular basis). We have internet coverage through Verizon AirCard which is great with few exceptions. We have a small solar panel that keeps our one 12 volt battery charged; we also use an electrical power inverter to use our computers, electric shaver and etc. Our portable solar panel is a UniSolar mounted on a an easel type frame and rides on almost any flat area van or trailer.

As for lawn chairs and fresh water storage, they are carried in the van. We don't have waste water storage at present and have not really needed one, as we carry our grey water to a dump area in a covered five gallon pail.

We have one small dog who travels in a crate in the van and sleeps in her crate at night in the trailer. In the past we have taken out our rear seats to eliminate the extra weight and provide us with extra storage space.

We wish you lots of luck and good travels.
D. 'n L.

I find it incredible and intriguing that you have been full-time RV'ers in a 13ft Scamp for some time.

I hope you are using one of those two computers to write a book on your experiences and how you cope with living this way. I will be the first in line to purchase it.

I also wish you lots of luck and good travels.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote