where IS the leak? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
where IS the leak?

Our Trillium has a leak that we haven't been able to find. Water arrives on the right hand side of the front couch - sometimes (but not always) after significant rain. We had a two day downpour with no unwelcome water - then a few days later we had a puddle after a short shower. It takes several hours to show. It makes no sense. Can anyone send us a clue as to where it may be entering and why it takes a long time to get to the bunk?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Hazel, water is crazy stuff. I am going to say that is more likely the angle of the rain than the quantity of the rain that is causing your leak. Does it leak if you are driving in the rain or only when you are parked?

I used to be an apartment manager and we had a window that would only leak when the wind was very strong from the South. It would soak the landing carpet, but we could never find that leak.

Being a small trailer you will find the leak. Try a garden hose at different angles and see what happens. Don't forget the belly band. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
. It takes several hours to show. It makes no sense. Can anyone send us a clue as to where it may be entering and why it takes a long time to get to the bunk?
Water will take the path of least resistance and it may be coming from a leak in a roof vent and creep along under the wall covering a long ways from the original leak ..... only way to figure it out would be to shoot water from a hose at the front window to make sure thats not the source first. Then try the roof vent and wait a while to see if water appears.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Trilliums have a belly band problem. The fact that the water shows up several hours after the rain seems to indicate that it is working it's way under the Ensolite, to eventually show up on your bunk.

The quick fix is to run caulk, (not silicone) over the top of the belly band. The permanent fix is a bit more involved:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
I had a rivet leaking on the roof of my Scamp that was driving me crazy till I found it. Same thing.... just leaked at random times. I even removed and resealed a window before I finally figured it out. Frustrating!
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I guess we'll keep searching every once in a while. It is frustrating when it doesn't happen every time it rains. Its a bit like having a kid who is almost toilet trained-just when you relax and think that the problem is over you get another wet spot!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Do not forget to really clean the window frame channels and weep holes. If those are not perfectly clear, they overflow inside.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote