Where to get professional mods? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
OK, so there are sooo many people with time, talent, and tools to do these really amazing modificataions to their rig. However, I have none of the above, but would love to get some practical interior alterations to my 2000, 13 ft Scamp. I am in south Florida for the next 4 months and then will travel cross country, so willing to consider other locations (especially if they are reputable, good, and $$$ reasonable).

Any references or recommendations welcome.
adimiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
I think you will find that is why all of us on this forum do it ourselves.
To find someone who will do the work at a reasonable price and do a good job the why you want it is almost impossible. Besides which it is more fun planing and learning to fix these eggs up ourselves. There is no mystery about doing the work. Some of the people here were amateurs when they started and are now almost professional in what they can do.
Try it, you'll like it.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #3

I understand the pride and satisfaction of doing-it-yourself, but really folks, I have zero handiness and would rather spend my leisure time doing other things such as mountain biking, hiking, fishing, etc (rather than working on the rig). I hope that's not too radical a standpoint on this forum. So still soliciting suggestions/recommendations/referrals for assistance.

Thanks and appreciate your comments, suggestions and other help.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 1992 13 ft Scamp
I have a suggestion. Why not call the Scamp Factory and see what they will do for you?
You can then explore the northern Minnesota area on your bike, or enjoy some fishing in the area lakes.
Just a thought.
Diane & David
DianeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
... and would rather spend my leisure time doing other things such as mountain biking, hiking, fishing, etc (rather than working on the rig). I hope that's not too radical a standpoint on this forum.
Not too radical for ME and I can certainly understand it. My problem is the blank stares I get from the supposed professionals when I approach them with questions. I even had one trailer dealer tell me that ALL trailers had SOME type of framing to hold up the walls.

If I were you, I would definitely start with Scamp.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The Scamp Custom Shop will build a trailer any way you like it, and will help design your trailer if you ask them. I'm reasonably sure that they'd be more than happy to help re-design yours and implement it. The best part is that they're intimately familiar with the compound curves and how the current interior is anchored. They're the ideal folks to modify it for you. I just wouldn't expect it to be inexpensive.

By the way, handiness isn't innate, it's learned. Most of us just pitched in and learned as we went along. Just recognize that, unlike todays' cars, these trailers are really VERY simple in their construction and execution. They pretty much come apart and go back together just like they look like they would.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
You start with something simple. Something you might know something about. Take it apart, then put it back together. Say, a wall switch, for example. Even if at the beginning you aren't sure which end of the screw driver to hold you soon find out you can learn that. That builds confidence. A step has been taken. All the while you are reading stuff related to what you want to do, learning how others did it.

Then you sense you're ready to try another step. You start thinking you can take that step. You wonder why not? Confidence and curiosity sets you in motion, produces will. Achieve will and you gain momentum that builds inside you. I didn't start my most ambitious egg projects until I had the will to start it, meaning the veil of mystery surrounding the project had lifted and I had confidence I would see it through. When that happens you know your back's protected.

On the other hand, there's a lot to be said for letting the pros do it. Not everyone wants to do it their selves. If you can afford the cost, don't need the hassle, can't spare the time, insist it be perfect, I say go for the factory assistance.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
adimiro, I can understand your wanting someone else who knows what they are doing to do the work for you. I am with you all the way on this. Some of us can not do anything mechanically, as God gave us other "gifts" and rebuilding a camper isn't one of mine. Whether it is lack of time, wanting to just relax and enjoy the time spent in the camper or whatever, some of us just are not cut out to rebuild and make our own mods. I read these mods on the fiberglass boards and wish someone could just do the same for me. NO WAY would I cut into that fiberglass to make even a screw hole. Call me chicken or whatever, I would do nothing more than make a mess of it. I am thinking of maybe taking out the carpet and putting lenolium flooring in, but I will hire it done by our favorite handiman, or it won't get done.
As for the scamp factory doing the work, I think they would be reasonable. But I would just look for a handiman in my home town area that comes recommended by someone, tell them what you want, and let them do it for you.
I wish you luck in finding someone to do what you want. It sometimes is worth it to hire someone else rather than be fustrated doing it yourself. My advice, is to look for a handiman, jack of all trades type person. The sit back and enjoy what he has done for you.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
OK, so there are sooo many people with time, talent, and tools to do these really amazing modificataions to their rig. However, I have none of the above, but would love to get some practical interior alterations to my 2000, 13 ft Scamp. I am in south Florida for the next 4 months and then will travel cross country, so willing to consider other locations (especially if they are reputable, good, and $$$ reasonable).

Any references or recommendations welcome.
Hi: I know you have a Scamp...but check out www.boler@bolerworks.com There you can see what professional shops can do for a used FG trailer. Regards Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Hi: I know you have a Scamp...but check out www.boler@bolerworks.com
I've seen at least a couple of references to this address for Bolerworks, which should be "www.bolerworks.com". The "@" indicates an email address, but that would be boler@bolerworks.com. Their web site is interesting, but that's all I know about them.

Given the nearly identical design of the Scamp 13' and Boler 1300, I'm sure anyone who specializes in custom Boler work could do well with a Scamp. Unfortunately for adimiro, they're a long way from Florida.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I've seen at least a couple of references to this address for Bolerworks, which should be "www.bolerworks.com". The "@" indicates an email address, but that would be boler@bolerworks.com. Their web site is interesting, but that's all I know about them.

Given the nearly identical design of the Scamp 13' and Boler 1300, I'm sure anyone who specializes in custom Boler work could do well with a Scamp. Unfortunately for adimiro, they're a long way from Florida.
Hi: I am as adept at e mails and web sites as I am at bolers...bolerworks.com works to find them...and by the look of their site they produce some nice work...$$$$$ I am sure and I understand the mountains can be very nice this time of year...just some distance from south Regards Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie P.s. The Can$ is still less than the U.S.$
Old 09-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #12

Thanks to all for the suggestions, from the remodeling masters to my mechanically challenged comrades. Will be looking into some of the options, and who knows, may even insert a screw or two somewhere. I'll be travelling with my trailer from Florida to Northern California in a few months, so I can consider a creative route if needed to get some quality work done. Feel free to keep sharing all thoughts and I'll keep checking the postings. Safe and happy travels/adventures.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Quote:
Thanks to all for the suggestions, from the remodeling masters to my mechanically challenged comrades. Will be looking into some of the options, and who knows, may even insert a screw or two somewhere. I'll be travelling with my trailer from Florida to Northern California in a few months, so I can consider a creative route if needed to get some quality work done. Feel free to keep sharing all thoughts and I'll keep checking the postings. Safe and happy travels/adventures.

Just curious... what exactly are you looking to have done?
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #14

Looking mostly to augment organizational/storage capabilities. For example, my 13 ft Scamp has the front bunk bed option with the 2 (small) storage bins on each side and the PortaPotti storage in the middle. My travel M.O is either alone or with 1 other person. I/we never use the front for sleeping and usually convert it to a 'lay out all the gear and clothing' on the bunk beds kind of scenario. Kinda of untidy and messy at best. So....was thinking of remodeling the front section into a more practical storage space with doors and shelves. Other items on my wish list:

(1)increase kitchen working space,
(2)using vertical space (like above the rear dinnette/double bed area) more efficiently,
(3) smaller fresh/gray water tanks (I really don't need 15 gallons worth), Oh yeah, my gray water drain has ripped off the main tank so now there is just a gaping hole on the gray tank
(4) reupholstering (no plaid please),
(5) sturdier dinnette table,
(6) locking door knobs so I don't need to bungee them closed during travel (or find all contents on floor),
(7) probably need some floor patch work in weathering areas
(8) Increase bottom clearance
(9) ? change 1 7/8th hitch to 2 inch
Old 09-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Looking mostly to augment organizational/storage capabilities. For example, my 13 ft Scamp has the front bunk bed option with the 2 (small) storage bins on each side and the PortaPotti storage in the middle. My travel M.O is either alone or with 1 other person. I/we never use the front for sleeping and usually convert it to a 'lay out all the gear and clothing' on the bunk beds kind of scenario. Kinda of untidy and messy at best. So....was thinking of remodeling the front section into a more practical storage space with doors and shelves. Other items on my wish list:

(2)using vertical space (like above the rear dinnette/double bed area) more efficiently,
(3) smaller fresh/gray water tanks (I really don't need 15 gallons worth), Oh yeah, my gray water drain has ripped off the main tank so now there is just a gaping hole on the gray tank
(6) locking door knobs so I don't need to bungee them closed during travel (or find all contents on floor),
Hi: Did I hear (no plaid please)OCH!!! I canna take it OCH!!! I'm no a wee Scot...But no plaidOCH!!! Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 09-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #16

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Well, with the exception of #'s 3, 8 and 9 I have your new Scamp all visualized, as most of those are things I have already done to my own Scamps! I WISH that I could give up my night job and do Egg conversions for a living but for the time being, being 46, single with a mortgage and living in rural Maine keeps me coming to work for 10 hours a night!!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 AM   #17

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Quote:
Given your "never use the front for sleeping" style - the usual mod is to convert the front bunks into a perminant 2 person dinette. Leaving the rear as a perminant bed. No converting things back and forth then...

For your items above:

1) Many folks have added fold-up 'wings' on the sides of the kitchen to give more space. I pulled my stove and made covers for the hole and the sink. A nicer solution would be a fold-up cover that turned the whole kitchen into counter space, but that folded back IF you wanted to use the sink/stove.

2) I always wished I had one of the overhead storage bins in the Boler we had. In addition to BEING storage - they made it easy to add a couple shelves between itself and the closet or kitchen OH bin.

3) I don't have any experience dealing with water systems. Don't really need them where we go so I just pulled it to make more storage. I'd think that unless you really needed the space - leaving them intact (with repairs) and just not filling all the way would be the path of least resistance.

4) Lots of folks have recovered their cushions. It's just a matter of how patient you are vs how detailed you want them to look. Squared with piping in the corners is the most elaborate - we just made new covers that were like form fitting pillow cases with velcro for the closure.

5) Sturdier than the usual "sawdust glued together with a picture of wood on the top"??? In the Boler we had, I bought used a piece of 3/4" plywood (sanded, the cabinet grade stuff is REALLY pretty). The old table was used for the pattern and all the old hardware recycled by moving it over onto the new one. Well... I didn't use the post. I rigged a fold-down table leg out of some of the left-over plywood for that - but the trim and wall-mount were recycled. Looked a lot nicer than the original too.

6) Locking cabinet doors. I didn't have a nice solution for this one either. In the Boler - I swapped in locking knobs (using the stock catches). In the PlayPac, no locking knobs - but I used spring loaded hinges. That worked for the small doors, but I added a couple hooks amd eye screws to the big doors. Not elegant, but effective.

7) floor patch... not sure if you mean floor covreings or the floor itself. New linoleum isn't hard. Many folks have used pergo-type floors - very pretty. Soft spots IMHO are best handled by thinking like a dentist: Grind out only what is bad and fill.

8) Increasing clearance - You're looking at raising or swapping out the axle. That's the first thing on your list I'd go to a pro for. I personally liked the really low clearance myself. Made it fit my garage and didnt need a step stool to get in when camped.

9) swiapping in a 2" hitch - Pro job IMHO (I don't weld), but why???

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 AM   #18
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Adimiro, take a look at the front of Lorene's Scamp 13. I really like this layout and it shows you just what Scamp can do. I'm really envious of this kitchen space.
Attached Thumbnails
LorenesScamp13.jpeg  
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #19

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Look for a small, local fiberglass shop to see if they may have time to do your projects. My local shop supplies me with the materials to do my own projects but if I did not want to do it myself, they have the time and creativity and know-how to get the job done. All you need are clear plans/drawings on the modifications, time, and money.

If you cannot find a fiberglass shop, check for marinas or boat repair shops. I suggest a smaller shop because they may be inclined to be more flexible and get creative. Make sure that timing is discussed up front...just as with any construction, add at least a few days for unexpected delays.

Good luck!
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #20

Thanks all!! You've switched on several light bulbs inside my head with your ideas, suggestions, replies. Keep 'em coming as I am now a permanent visitor to this incredibly helpful group of folks. Promise to post before and after photos (though it may be a few months till complete).