Which Frig Should I Install? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I am thinking about installing a 3 way frig. in my u-haul ct13.

Searching the web, I find only two units are small enough to fit where the ice box is.

They are the Dometic RM2193 and the Norcold 323t.

I am seeking comments pro or con about these units. Which would you choose and why?
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The Dometic because it has a cut out in the bottom shelf that'll allow us to store a milk bottle. Beyond that, today's gas absorption technology dates back almost 100 years, so GA 'fridges are pretty much birds of a feather.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I am thinking about installing a 3 way frig. in my u-haul ct13.

Searching the web, I find only two units are small enough to fit where the ice box is.

They are the Dometic RM2193 and the Norcold 323t.

I am seeking comments pro or con about these units. Which would you choose and why?
Bud,

We have an older three way Dometic. We really like it. It has adequate storage in door, largish Freezer that actually works and works well in all three modes. It is a battery hog on 12v so we only use that mode while towing.

No experience with Norcold.

Have he/she who is in charge of shopping, meal planning and food storage look at the insides of the units and compare the shelving.

Good luck,

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
That's a good point. Some of the older Dometic units have a small freezer space, too. We picked one up on the used market for our Surfside project a while ago, cost us $50 or so.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
That's a good point. Some of the older Dometic units have a small freezer space, too. We picked one up on the used market for our Surfside project a while ago, cost us $50 or so.

I'm also renovating a 1985 Uhaul CT 13...

I removed everything under the counter area... turned the sink around (drain on the left to provide more clearance)

On the Left, I'm installing a really small AC unit frigidaire 5000 BTU manual control-(no remote to lose) It's only 12"h X 16"W X 12"d - Frigidaire FAX052P7A.
On the Right, I'm putting an Avanti AC/DC 1.7 cu' fridge with a microwave on top of it.

I already have all the appliances here and they are really small enough to make it work.
The Avanti is only 17" w X 20" h and the micro is 18"w X 11.5h. So that fits fromthe floor to just under the overhang of the counter.

I've ordered a custom "vent" door from RV surplus 16w X 14h for the AC exhaust... it's hinged on the bottom so I can open it fully when the AC is running and then put my extension cords in the gap between the AC and the wall when underway. the AC is only 12 deep, so there will be enough space. The door has one thumb latch and one key latch.
After corresponding wit a forum member who did a similar install with intake through the outside wall... I will be venting the intake from the floor and exhaust thru the wall.

The thing about the Avanti AC/DC fridge that I like most is that it is a thermo superconductor unit and doesn't use a compressor. In addition to being silent, it has more room at the bottom since there is no compressor "hump".

I can't start on my framing or install yet because the trailer leaks pretty badly, so sealing is priority #1. My order from Perfect Fit including the rubber window channel (part# AS-1268) just shipped today and I will be taking the trailer to a pro to seal all four windows... although I'm not sure that's where the water is coming in. The other night I was working in it after a rain and the water was still coming in around the TOP of the rear window gasket... This makes me think that water is coming in between the shells... perhaps from the solar panel bolts... I'm going to re-bed those as well as the awning channel the ppo installed on each side.
That was a surprise, since the po told me all I would need to seal it was the felt channel around the sliders... so much for disclosure.
One good thing is that the local New Orleans Uhaul dealer is willing to give me new hubs and spare wheel!
Pics as my project progresses... all I have now are really rough looking.
I have received my sink pump/faucet exact replacement and have tested the tank. The plan is to assemble the water system outside the trailer and check for integrity before installing it. so far so good.
Anyway... good luck on your unit... I looked for a CT specifically and jumped on this one... perhaps too quickly, but I will see this through... I believe in them.
See you here and perhaps on the Uhaul forums. LOTS of great info here... That's how I decided on my AC placement.
Best Regards
Dale
Dale A Smith is offline   Reply With Quote