Which is more prevalent, Scamp or Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 16' Scamp
California
Which is more prevalent, Scamp or Casita

I'm wanting to buy a used 17' Casita. I switched over to it from wanting a 16' scamp. Both would have the bath and the side dinette. I am located in southern California and I know there are good number of Scamp owners here, but I think there are more Casita owners. The percentages may very in different parts of the country but, if I recall correctly from the classified archives there are a lot more Casitas around than Scamps.

What do you think?

And, BTW, if you've got a 17' SD or know of someone selling I'd like to get in touch. I'm thinking somewhere between about 2000 and 2005, in excellent condition.
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
After over 40 years of building, think that Scamp wins hands down on total numbers, but for specific years and sizes the numbers may vary and a doubt if either Scamp or Casita is talking....

I can tell you this for sure, a Casita will command a substantially higher price than a comparable year, size and condition Scamp.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamps may be somewhat more common in the north, Casitas in the south, but the bigger difference is in the kinds of models they sell. Scamp sells a lot more smaller trailers (I've heard something like 67% are 13'ers), while Casita sells a lot more bigger trailers (I've heard about 75% are 17'ers). I haven't heard who wins the "most units on the road" award, but there are probably more late-model Casita 17s than Scamp 16s around.

Comparing a 17' Casita to a 16' Scamp is really apples to oranges. The Casita is bigger and much heavier, especially on the tongue (see the thread http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html).
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #4

California
Popularity and Prevelance

Thanks for the good comments. Bob said the Casita's will command a higher price. Everybody agrees that they are built better and that is worth more money. However, if you are taller than about 5'9" and want a 13' trailer than the one that will work is the Scamp, and, in that case it is a lot of bang for the buck.

Steve
Soon to own a 17' SD
Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
I'm wanting to buy a used 17' Casita. I switched over to it from wanting a 16' scamp. Both would have the bath and the side dinette. I am located in southern California and I know there are good number of Scamp owners here, but I think there are more Casita owners. The percentages may very in different parts of the country but, if I recall correctly from the classified archives there are a lot more Casitas around than Scamps.

What do you think?

And, BTW, if you've got a 17' SD or know of someone selling I'd like to get in touch. I'm thinking somewhere between about 2000 and 2005, in excellent condition.
I think the only way to make a decision is to go and sit in each one of them and imagine how you wold camp in them. Pictures can never give you the big picture.

At the large fiberglass trailer meet held in Bandon Oregon each year, as well as ones held further north the number of Escape's in attendants has in recent years quickly outpacing the number of Casita's in regards to numbers. Scamp is taking a distant 3rd in numbers - which is a big change from just 7 years ago.

While on an 8 week trip a couple of winters ago into S. Arizona and Calf. I saw out camping or passed on the road more Escapes than the total of other brands of fiberglass trailers combined.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I think the only way to make a decision is to go and sit in each one of them and imagine how you wold camp in them. Pictures can never give you the big picture.

At the large fiberglass trailer meet held in Bandon Oregon each year, as well as ones held further north the number of Escape's in attendants has in recent years quickly outpacing the number of Casita's in regards to numbers. Scamp is taking a distant 3rd in numbers - which is a big change from just 7 years ago.

While on an 8 week trip a couple of winters ago into S. Arizona and Calf. I saw out camping or passed on the road more Escapes than the total of other brands of fiberglass trailers combined.
That may be the case out west Carol but not so the rest of the country. In fact, I've never even seen an Escape although they appear to be a well built trailer.

I have been somewhat surprised that even here in Scamp's home state I've seen more Casita's on the road (and campgrounds) then Scamps. Same goes on our trip to Texas and back last year. A look at the total production numbers would tell the story but contrary to my observations my guess would be Scamp, Casita and Escape in that order.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Actually the problem is that Scamps are soooo Ubiquitous that they still there but remain unseen.

There is the "Same as Me" theory that sez, in one example, that you see lots of new cars just like yours the first week you own it.
or
There are so many Scamps that we just don't see them any more. LOL

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P. View Post
That may be the case out west Carol but not so the rest of the country.
Yes very true - but take a look at the Escape Trailers Owners Forum and owners location map and you will see there are more than a few on the East coast of the US and looking at the Escape website as to the number of trucks loaded up with them heading into Eastern US there are more coming.

Regardless my point was I would not discount them off my list simple due to the location of the factory or their total numbers as they have not been in biz for anywhere near the length of time that Casita and Scamp have been, so they have some catching up to do and they seem to be doing it quickly.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think that you see more high end trailers is because the owners are retired, spending their savings and traveling more. The rest of us are still working buying cheaper used equipment and they are just sitting around in back yards and storage lots waiting for us to schedule a precious few days a year to escape the rat race. We are also into the avalanche of baby boomers retiring.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Quote: "We are also into the avalanche of baby boomers retiring."

Hmmmm... My 1st wife was born 9 months and 12 days after VJ Day I guess that means that Dad was home working in the war industry ( Bethlehem Steel & Shipbuilding) But she has been retired for 5 years now... I guess that the rush is really on.....

Old 02-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #11

California
Great Comments

Enjoying the thread I started.

As for brand I'd love an Escape, just beyond my budget! DW set the budget and she is the boss!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In my neighborhood, Scamp and Escape are 50/50... oh wait! That's my driveway
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
Enjoying the thread I started.

As for brand I'd love an Escape, just beyond my budget! DW set the budget and she is the boss!
We hear that a lot on this board but if you sit down and do an actual spread sheet of what is included in the base price of an Escape and then take the base price of the other trailers and add up the cost to all those items which are options you may find as others have that the Escape is not really out of budget.

Don't forget that Canada is currently holding a county wide sale of 20% + off to buyers from the US
Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM   #14

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I think the difference is if you are looking at new or used. For used in most areas there are many more Casita's and Scamps at much lower prices.
I can't believe the prices of some used Escapes but good on people if they can get it
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I think the difference is if you are looking at new or used. For used in most areas there are many more Casita's and Scamps at much lower prices.
I can't believe the prices of some used Escapes but good on people if they can get it
Hard to argue that point. As I write this fiberglass-rv-4sale.com currently lists 23 Casitas, 21 Scamps, and zero count em zero Escapes for sale in the U.S.

Part of this of course that is Escapes have only been made for 12 years. So even the early ones are just getting broken in.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:28 PM   #16

California
Price of Used

Often true that used Scamps are less expensive. However, there is one for sell now in Ojai, Ca that has been bid on ebay up to $12,300. That is for a 16' 2005 with a side dinette. Further, that is a Casita price. I wanted to buy this trailer last week for 11k and the seller said NO. Last weeks reserve was $12,900.00, as she told me that!

I am annoyed with people who want to sell at prices that are above the market. I will work more with the seller in NM and see what we can work out.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If it sells, it is not above market.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:58 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I am annoyed with people who want to sell at prices that are above the market. I will work more with the seller in NM and see what we can work out.[/QUOTE]

Glenn is right, market price changes with every sale, time of year and location. At the current bid of 12.3K, that's someones fair market value. You certainly can't knock a seller for trying to get the most the public is willing to pay. Once in a while someone gets a deal but not often.
Good luck in your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Which brand has higher numbers I don't know. But East of the Mississippi, I hardly ever see any. Owners numbers are one thing, those out and using is another.

Do you think that folks out West are using their Eggs more?
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #20

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Scamps outsell Casitas by big numbers. 400-500 Scamps sold annually, and a 4 - 5 month back log to even get one.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp