Which Model Maxxair Fan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Which Model Maxxair Fan?

I'm having the Fantastic fan replaced with a Maxxair fan.

I want remote control. The reason is, if the vent needs to be closed during the middle of the night, you can't just reach up and close it. You have to get out of bed to reach the controls.

These are the choices for models with remote control.

Model 4500K: Smoke lid, electronic open thermostat, Intake and Exhaust, Remote Control, Controls at ceiling, Rain Sensor (Amazon Prime $!95.70)

The Deluxe models have a 10 speed fan plus protect trailer in all kinds of weather. The 2 models that have remote control are the 7000K and the 7500K. The only difference I see from the chart is one is white and the other is smoke. (Amazon Prime: $289.92 for 7000K)

Electronic open, thermostat, Intake and Exhaust, remote control, controls at ceiling, built in rain cover.

The 2 differences I can see between the 4500K and 7000K/7500K (Deluxe) are the Deluxe has 10 speeds and built in rain cover. The 4500K has a rain sensor, but not a built in rain cover.

So I think the Deluxe 7000K is the best fan for me, even though it is almost $100 more. I'm curious as to what model others have bought and your opinion of it.

Thanks

Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I went with the 7500K with the smoke on my current Escape, lets in more light. I also had the non remote 7000k on my first Escape and switched out the lid, easier to just get the remote model.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I went with the 7500K with the smoke on my current Escape, lets in more light. I also had the non remote 7000k on my first Escape and switched out the lid, easier to just get the remote model.
I was thinking the 7000k because it let in less light. Guess that's why they make both models!
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #4

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Maxfan

I have the 5100 model no automatic controls. Just bought a used motorhome the PO had a fantastic fan put in and no rain cover.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
I am hoping to install a new MaxxAir 4500 this week. I went with the base model. From everything I have read, it seems that all MaxxAir fans are well built. I personally like the 10 speed fan over the Fantastic Fan's three speed fan. Hopefully the install goes well and no issues arise.

No matter what model you decide on, I think you will be a happy camper!
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive got the MaxxFan 5100 and very happy with it. White top, lets in less light so I "might" be able to sleep a bit more lol.

Huck....It's one of my favorite mod's!

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
We also installed the 5100k Model. Great choice!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #8

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I have a fantastic fan with a hood water can't get in. I modified it with a PWM controller do I have infinite speeds. I set it to run almost silent at night.

I would like to buy another one for my bathroom and add a PWM controller for that also. The present one is quite loud and annoying.

If you use a hood rain can't ever get in. No need for rain sensors unless you want to reduce your cross section by imitating the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The problem with fantastic fans and rain hoods is that fantastic fan recommends that no hood be used because they restrict the air flow. Plus it is a 2 step process whereas MaxxFann is all in one.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I have a fantastic fan with a hood water can't get in. I modified it with a PWM controller do I have infinite speeds. I set it to run almost silent at night.

I would like to buy another one for my bathroom and add a PWM controller for that also. The present one is quite loud and annoying.

If you use a hood rain can't ever get in. No need for rain sensors unless you want to reduce your cross section by imitating the hood.

Night Sailor,
Could you please give me the directions on how to wire up The PWM controller? Will this work with any fan? It just turns the fan motor into a variable speed?
Thanks for your help!!!!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
just grab a dc pwm controller from ebay. Wiring will be strait forward , 12v dc in then connect the fan motor wires

6V 12 24V 10A Pulse Width Modulator PWM DC Motor Speed Control Switch Controller | eBay
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
The problem with fantastic fans and rain hoods is that fantastic fan recommends that no hood be used because they restrict the air flow. Plus it is a 2 step process whereas MaxxFann is all in one.
I suspect they just don't want you using other manufactures rain hoods as they sell their own for the Fan-tastic fan.

I do think the MaxxFann amongst other things has the better cover though - if I am not mistaken when closed it is a lower profile so if you are parking the trailer undercover that may be an advantage for some.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 AM   #13

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post

Night Sailor,
Could you please give me the directions on how to wire up The PWM controller? Will this work with any fan? It just turns the fan motor into a variable speed?
Thanks for your help!!!!

There is a pair of wires coming into the fan. One is ground. One is +12V.
There is a switch which controls In and Out. The two wires are switched to reverse the fan direction.

Ground goes to the reversing switch. +12V goes to a three speed switch which is several resistors to limit current flow. One wire goes in to a fuse holder and then into the three speed switch and one comes out and goes back to the In/Out switch as I recall

I simply took the ground and +12 v wires and ran these to the input of the PWM. I bypassed the three way switch. You can take power from the other side of the fuse holder.

Then I took the outputs to the locations the ground and +12V went to originally. This preserved the In/Out function.

I like it a lot. It works great. I've been using it for weeks. After popping one fuse I upgraded the fuse slightly and it has been trouble free. I use it almost entirely on the "In" setting and with one other fan directed to my door, I can leave the door open and the wind keeps most bugs out. Lights attract them at night and I keep the screen closed then.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:04 AM   #14

Connecticut
Quote:

I don't have any trouble with restricted flow. I do have I remove the screen and clean it from time to time. I have to remove the hoods to clean the vent lids. It is only two nuts so that goes fast. The screens have more screws but are easy as well.

I rarely dial mine up to full force. Only when it is very hot. I like to keep the speed low and leave it on. I usually close all my vents when traveling because too much dirt gets in. For shorter trips I leave my fans on low and things stay cool inside.

I have R12 insulation. ( they claim). Plus I have solar panels covering 35% of my roof. It doesn't seem to get all that hot inside. I do seek shade at times unless my batteries need to be topped up. They charge even in shade if I turn off my inverter.

These PWM controller help reduce power demand some , but being able to dial I down so you can't hear it is the major advantage IMHO.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 AM   #15

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I suspect they just don't want you using other manufactures rain hoods as they sell their own for the Fan-tastic fan.

I do think the MaxxFann amongst other things has the better cover though - if I am not mistaken when closed it is a lower profile so if you are parking the trailer undercover that may be an advantage for some.

I like the way the MaxAir looks. The reviews however, say the lift mechanism fails somewhat often. I like that it has a lower profile also.

Still I'll stick with what I have since it has been reliable and trouble free. I'd like to buy another fantastic fan for my bathroom. Perhaps leaving it on low all with a PWM in the summer would work well to air dry the bathroom. It will be interesting to see how it performs.

I hate the loud volume of my cheap fan. On high my fantastic fan is half as loud.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Night Sailor,
Thanks for the directions! You make things seem so simple. Glad that the fan works good for you!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #17

Connecticut
If I get the time I'll take pictures and draw up a wiring diagram.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The high end model can be left open 24/7 and it will still keep out rain. No need to depend on a rain sensor to function correctly, either. Spend the extra, you'll thank yourself later.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It also locks in the open or closed position. If there were failures, it's probably because people traveled without it being locked so it was bouncing up and down.