Which paint is best? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
Newfoundland
Question Which paint is best?

I'm going to get a friend to spray paint the outside of my trillium. Should I buy auto paint or interlux? Which is the best? Which is the easier one to apply?
Nicole D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole D View Post
I'm going to get a friend to spray paint the outside of my trillium. Should I buy auto paint or interlux? Which is the best? Which is the easier one to apply?
Never used Interlux. I sprayed with Duplicolor auto paint from Canadian Tire. Good coverage easy and quick to spray. Make sure he wears a respirator. Cost was about $100 for four one litre cans. I did it two tone.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I would recommend going with a 2-part polyurethane auto paint over an epoxy primer. The epoxy primer will fill any small cracks or crazing in the original gel-coat as well as provide an excellent 'grip' for the last finish coats.

The finish coats should be overlaid with a clear coat. The final clear coat will give a deep shine as well as provide sunlight protection. It is not a good idea to go cheap on the paint as the prep work is what is really expensive, if done right. The clear coats are often quite expensive because of the amount of UV light protectant in them. I attempted to keep the costs low by purchasing inexpensive clear coat for my Scamp and Blazer. It is yellowing over time. :>(
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole D View Post
I feel that if you are going to the expense of buying a good paint for your FB trailer you should buy the best you can find. I am very satisfied with the Imron paint that was applied to mine. I could only afford to have the painter paint the top half, above the belly band and am saving my money so that I will be able to hire him to paint the bottom half. Imron is very expensive and is what the truck fleet owners use and I felt that if they were safisfied with it why wouldn't I and I am very happy with it. Only needs washing. No wax. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #5

Name: Kristopher
Trailer: 197x Boler
British Columbia
I just painted my Boler with Imron 3.5HG and it is nice paint but was tough to roll. Maybe spray is better but I got a slightly inconsistent gloss with patches slightly glossier than others so not totaly satisfied. Also I rolled 7 coats to cover it which was the whole gallon. That is without doing the roof which is something else.

The biggest problem I faced was I didn't like the color choices so had to go with a paint with the most options and still good quality but marine paint would have been a better choice if rolling as the Pettit easypoxy for the roof seems to work quite well with a brush or roller.
Sleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1970 Boler
I have used both, Interlux and PPG automotive based paint. Interlux rolled and tipped and PPG sprayed.

Interlux worked fine for hand application but results are much better with a proper automotive paint. I used PPG industrial white that was sprayed 6 years ago. But, here in Canada solvent paints are out and everything is water borne now (as of Jan 1, 2011)

Regardless, if you have the facilities or the money, have it sprayed, results are just better.
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, trillium