Why (let them go downhill)? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Why (let them go downhill)?

I have a tough time watching people restore their trailers.
I understand personalizing them, but can't believe the condition of some of them when purchased.
I've owned this one for 17 years and maintaince is all it has ever needed. Has been stored outdoors it's whole life. Must be the clue.
Seems to fit in with the trashed Corvettes I see on eBay.
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm a bit confused by your post. But I can say, some of the restorations and modifications I've seen done to all-molded-towables makes the trailer better than new. This is one such example, and this is a was done nearly 12 years ago, so some of the "features" are a bit out of date.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...and-35800.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
What I mean is, everybody wants one when they buy it, but why let them go downhill?
I understand changing to each persons desires.
But why so dirty, threadworn? Lots of people must have no pride of ownership. Can't all be health reasons for bad looking trailers.
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Now, I understand. I don't know. Pride in ownership is lacking? I see the same things with motor vehicles. Drive them off the lot, never wash/never wax.. drive into the ground. Buy another one, repeat process.

Same with homes... and this is a generalization... but go to rural country. Homes/property with everything someone has ever owned is stacked around. Tires, broken wash machines, hot water heaters, broken swing sets... and on, and on. But inner cities are sometimes just as bad.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sometime life circumstances change- children grow up, work responsibilities change, people get sick- and there is not the time to use or maintain the trailer. People hold onto it, thinking eventually they will get back to it, but sometimes that is not the case.

Owners die, and sometimes the trailer comes to a family member who isn't as committed to taking care of it. Sadly, that's often the case when people get things for free.

Lots of different reasons, I guess. There's a story, probably several, behind every neglected egg.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
A lot of truth in what you say Jon, You never know what may be the story behind them. Yesterday I stopped an a condo where an Avalon trailer has been parked, un-moved for the past 10 years, maybe more, and dirty and until I drove in the drive, didn't notice the hole in front side about 6 inches long. (wife was not impressed)
While looking at it from about 20 feet away (too much snow still in Maine) a voice asked if he could help me from the window above,
I asked who's trailer it was and he said, it was his and when asked if he wanted to sell it, he said No.
I said just asked because I have seen it for so long unmoved and he just said it wasn't for sale....
Who knows the story behind this one????
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I totally agree with keeping up the maintenance. We bought our trailer new and my wife has always kept it spotless. When we take it out of winter storage, from the storage lot, it still has the new smell inside. Each spring I do the maintenance items and again before it goes back in storage. It is however, an continuous process as items need replacing. The canopy is developing pin holes after 11 years in the sun etc. It's easier to keep up with maintenance and usually less expensive.
My '78 corvette is in "show room" condition but it has had wear item work on things like tires, battery, brakes etc.
I do regular maintenance on my Quads and wash them after each days use. After 10 years and thousands of kilometers they still look new and perform that way.
Maintained things not only work better but are more enjoyable to use.
Use it, clean it, maintain it and store it properly. Some may call this OCD but I see it as pride of ownership AND getting the most from your investment!
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_scamp_owner View Post
I have a tough time watching people restore their trailers.
I enjoy projects. Especially bringing things back to life and making them useful again. In my occupation I do this with equipment related to my trade, and saved tens of thousand doing so over the cost of this expensive specialty equipment when new.

Same thing with my vintage 1971 Boler (had a lot of hidden issues), I love the project and working on it and making it our own and better than new, even with some of the obstacles we've encountered, I find it a challenge.

I also have another project a vintage 1977 Sears 10/6 garden tractor that I got last weekend to plow my garden and I plan to do a full restoration on it over time (soon as I finish the Boler).

Much like the Boler these tractors are very rare but there is still lots of life left in it....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170226_122006263small.jpg   20170226_182733small.jpg  

Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I totally agree with keeping up the maintenance. We bought our trailer new and my wife has always kept it spotless. When we take it out of winter storage, from the storage lot, it still has the new smell inside. Each spring I do the maintenance items and again before it goes back in storage. It is however, an continuous process as items need replacing. The canopy is developing pin holes after 11 years in the sun etc. It's easier to keep up with maintenance and usually less expensive.
My '78 corvette is in "show room" condition but it has had wear item work on things like tires, battery, brakes etc.
I do regular maintenance on my Quads and wash them after each days use. After 10 years and thousands of kilometers they still look new and perform that way.
Maintained things not only work better but are more enjoyable to use.
Use it, clean it, maintain it and store it properly. Some may call this OCD but I see it as pride of ownership AND getting the most from your investment!
What you are doing to keep your items nice is why yours and ours are nice. We do the same. I don't call it OCD, I call it smart. To many people have no pride in things. This has become a throw away nation. Buy a TV or any appliance, it quits, toss it out and buy another new one. Everything is that way now. Young people don't know better since all they know is texting, cell phone use, etc. My dad was bad about letting things go to rot. He never changed oil unless he was going on a long trip, hardly ever cleaned a car, etc. They never ran good and he would get mad at the car. This is why all RV's go bad as well, not just fiberglass trailers.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Well, here is another side. My dad used to have a popup truck camper. When he bought a new truck it turned out the camper wouldn't fit. As he and Mom hadn't used it in a few years, they didn't worry too much (though Mom was kinda mad) and it just didn't get used. Kids and grandkids sometimes slept in it when they visited, but eventually it was unused and developed a leak, and got some rot. We had a hard time giving it away because of the truck issue- finally someone took it who planned to remodel it to fit a newer truck. Things happen. People sell their tow vehicle. Interests change, people get old, trailer is too small for that number of kids, etc. It's hard to maintain something you haven't a lot of interest in but it can also be hard to let go of it.

I sold my boat when it was getting to the stage of being neglected due to disuse, but it wasn't easy to let it go even then.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
EVERYTHING put together, sooner or later falls a part.
Its a temporal world. All we can do is stay vigilant until we loose!
If you loose only 1% to corruption every year, then your object will be dust in a hundred years.
They say diamonds are forever, but they are really just temporary things that last longer than us, without much care.
I have century old clocks which run well and have outlasted several owners in some cases, but sooner or later the persistence of moth and rust...

Orbits decay, stars wearout
There is a point to Ecclesiastes... but it is actually good news.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Its the trailers fault. Get one in top shape and you generally don't need to do much to maintain it. It can go so many years without any attention at all it just breeds laziness.

Stop washing and waxing it every 4 months and Zep it and it stays shiny for 2 years. A quick wash before a trip its go to go. No polishing no buffing and no waxing.

If you properly reseal the trailer its good for 10 years. Guess what, no rot to check on, no cares no worries.

Then life gets in the way and your no longer in the maintenance and upkeep mode The battery dies and you make excuses not to buy a battery until just before your next trip, so now you don't take the trailer out and then the tires go bad. But you haven't used it in years so it isn't going anyplace except to the next owner maybe 5-10 years down the road.

Its the trailers fault!
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I think that a lot of it is slow and hidden.
Small leaks that occur over winter storage let water seep in and get under and between things and then the rot begins.
Patches might be ineffective and lack of use lets the over all condition go downhill.
These things have many many places bugs and water can get in and if they are not ventilated properly the high humidity brings mold.
My Bride of 39 years would go along with the Scamp, but it had to have a few things.
0. NO SMELLS
1. NO BUGS
2. NO LEAKS
3. NO GAS in the cabin.
4. HER COLOR SCHEMES
5. No CRAWLING OVER ONE ANOTHER IN THE NIGHT
6. A Stand up bathroom/shower for 6'

This meant a MAJOR redesign project.
All of the openings for the Fridge, heater, water heater etc. were sealed with fiberglass scarfed in. A part of the no bugs and no leaks and no smells was the replaced floor that was glassed with fabric and epoxy on both sides and edges. This was glassed into the shell so that the only openings were the door, top vents and the gasketed access doors to storage from the outside
Went to a mini-split heat pup tor heat and AC with a back up electric utility heater.
Redesigned and fabricated an extended front frame that allowed the middle 2 feet in the higher section to be the shower with a dropped pan and black tank.
Microwave/convection oven and electric skillet.
Redesigned the sleeping to twin beds and a swing up table in the middle.
Sealed, closed ventilated, and maintained.
We keep ours plugged in and the mini-split running to keep it dry and mold free.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #14

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Different strokes for different folks

Yes that seems silly, but it's the truth. People are different. It's like asking why you like olives and I can't stand them. Not a great analogy, but still. People are wired different from each other. Some care about their belongings, others don't. Some care so much about their belongings, that their belongings own them. There's a balance.

I care about my money not being wasted, and it turns out I really enjoy maintenance. So it works out well for me. Some care about their stuff, but pay someone else to do the maintenance. Some...it just never enters their head to take care of things.

I used to have my eye out for old Toyota FJ40 Landcruisers. There are a surprising number, just rotting away in people's yards. Like Gerry found with that camper, many don't want to sell them. They...well I don't know what they want, but they seem to prefer to let them rot. Could be sentimental value, could be...who knows? One in town even went so far as to put a sign up in its window that said "Not For Sale". Who knows. It's still there; hasn't moved during the 13 years I've lived in town.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Name: Chester
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Quote:
What I mean is, everybody wants one when they buy it, but why let them go downhill?
I understand changing to each persons desires.
But why so dirty, threadworn? Lots of people must have no pride of ownership. Can't all be health reasons for bad looking trailers.
It's what we, as the great American-throwaway/disposable-society have become. We have gone beyond paper plates and beverage containers. It is now the norm to use and then toss in the trash electronics, battery operated power tools, appliances and camp trailers.
chetandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Why (let them go downhill)?
That's an easy question to answer!

It's because when you let them go, they don't roll uphill!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
EVERYTHING put together, sooner or later falls a part.
Its a temporal world. All we can do is stay vigilant until we loose!
If you loose only 1% to corruption every year, then your object will be dust in a hundred years.
They say diamonds are forever, but they are really just temporary things that last longer than us, without much care.
I have century old clocks which run well and have outlasted several owners in some cases, but sooner or later the persistence of moth and rust...

Orbits decay, stars wearout
There is a point to Ecclesiastes... but it is actually good news.
Right on Floyd.
Everyone in this thread has good points but Floyd's struck a chord with me.

I'm glad there are more people that don't care than do. It gives me more choices for my next project.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I can't speak for trailers so much, but when I was young I was and still am into airplanes.
We would go around airports and look at old unloved airplanes and wondered how someone let them deteriorate rotting towards junk status.
If you tried to buy one of the better ones then it was like pulling teeth. They were just not ready to let go.
Now that I am old I have been getting three airplanes that I neglected ready to sell and I can see how it happens.
You wanted to own one and it was a part of your persona and don't want to let it go and don't have the time and opportunities to work on it.
The pressures of life interfere.
So neglect, Intentional?
Who can say?
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I can't speak for trailers so much, but when I was young I was and still am into airplanes.
We would go around airports and look at old unloved airplanes and wondered how someone let them deteriorate rotting towards junk status.
If you tried to buy one of the better ones then it was like pulling teeth. They were just not ready to let go.
Now that I am old I have been getting three airplanes that I neglected ready to sell and I can see how it happens.
You wanted to own one and it was a part of your persona and don't want to let it go and don't have the time and opportunities to work on it.
The pressures of life interfere.
So neglect, Intentional?
Who can say?
I think you are exactly right, this is true in what ever you turn your attention to. I have often dragged cars out of sheds and fields that had the hope finally drained from them.

Just yesterday I inspected a bunch of neglected clocks, mostly too far gone to save, and bicycles... I have too many stories too list.

Everywhere I travel along the gulf I see abandoned fiberglass sailboats which have keeled over waiting for the return of their owners who have loved the idea but simply could not embrace the effort, for one reason or another.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #20

Name: J.
Trailer: Casita
Florida
Life Happens.
J.W. is offline   Reply With Quote