Will a Scamp 13' fit through a standard garage door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Somebody please HELP by answering! I may need to do extensive fiberglass repair on a Scamp (which I haven't purchased yet), and living in the cold Idaho panhandle, it would have to be done in a heated area. I'm pretty sure a typical garage door is 8 feet in height.
Would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who knows if a Scamp will fit. Thanks! Robby
Robby Bricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Somebody please HELP by answering! I may need to do extensive fiberglass repair on a Scamp (which I haven't purchased yet), and living in the cold Idaho panhandle, it would have to be done in a heated area. I'm pretty sure a typical garage door is 8 feet in height.
Would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who knows if a Scamp will fit. Thanks! Robby
Robby,

Like many things, it all depends. Most garage doors, at least in this area (Ohio) are seven feet. Our 2004 13' Scamp will just go under the door if I remove the cover on the vent/escape hatch. So-called post-fire Scamps are a little taller (factory burned down sometime around 05 or 06 and newer Scamps are made in new molds with more headroom). And of course a roof AC unit puts them out of the question for all but the tallest doors. Another factor is axle height. Old Scamps may have settled. New axles are often installed with more "down angle" on the trailing arms which raises the trailer. I recently stored our Scamp in a neighbor's garage that has an even lower door, and I found I could pick up a couple of inches by reducing the tire pressure, while still maintaining enough to roll okay. You're just gonna have to get a measurement to know for sure.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #3

Thank you so much, Parker! I was able to measure my friend's garage door, and it's 8 feet. Looks like green lights to me! Best wishes to you, and thanks again. Robby
Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Thank you so much, Parker! I was able to measure my friend's garage door, and it's 8 feet. Looks like green lights to me! Best wishes to you, and thanks again. Robby
Good luck with your project, Robby! We spent a couple of days in Moscow this summer while dropping off our son at college, then proceeded with our Scamp to Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, etc. I hope you're out there joining us soon.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #5

Well Parker, I sincerely hope to be 'out there' with you soon, too, and already have a February trip to Tucson planned. IF I can get the lil egg road worthy, that is...

I'm delighted to hear you've at least visited the beautiful southern area of Idaho. However, and I freely admit I am biased, the truly breathtaking parts are way up here in the north, in the panhandle. If I had to pick just one single thing, magnificent Lake Pend Oreille is a sight that's absolutely not to be missed. It's Idaho's largest lake, and also the fifth deepest lake in the nation. There's even a submarine base on it! Farther north, Priest Lake is equally stunning, with perhaps even more of a *wilderness* quality.
Gosh, I sound like a travel brochure, huh.

Anyway, I do thank you for your kind help and encouragement, and hope our paths cross one day.
Robby
Old 12-01-2009, 11:59 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Well Parker, I sincerely hope to be 'out there' with you soon, too, and already have a February trip to Tucson planned. IF I can get the lil egg road worthy, that is...

I'm delighted to hear you've at least visited the beautiful southern area of Idaho. However, and I freely admit I am biased, the truly breathtaking parts are way up here in the north, in the panhandle. If I had to pick just one single thing, magnificent Lake Pend Oreille is a sight that's absolutely not to be missed. It's Idaho's largest lake, and also the fifth deepest lake in the nation. There's even a submarine base on it! Farther north, Priest Lake is equally stunning, with perhaps even more of a *wilderness* quality.
Gosh, I sound like a travel brochure, huh.

Anyway, I do thank you for your kind help and encouragement, and hope our paths cross one day.
Robby
Hi, Robby! Glad you asked that question, as I hope to keep a future 13' in my garage, esp. to do any repairs or renovations. (Eek, is the trailer you're looking at in the Medford area? I'm hoping I didn't miss out on that deal, waiting to hear back...)

But Lake Pend Oreille--saw it for the first time in October, when I went to visit family in the Thompson Falls area--GORGEOUS!
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 AM   #7

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
A simple suggestion you may have overlooked:

You might gain a few inches in garage door height by pushing up on the bottom of it while it is in the 'up' position, because even when the door is 'up' there is usually a slight bend to it, towards the floor, decreasing usable door height. That is, if it is a roll-up door!
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
If it's for long term storage/work
You can put some smaller wheels on it just to get it in and out.
Harbor freight has some 4 bolt 8 inch wheels.
Or no wheels, but dollies under the drums could work too.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13er
Wisconsin
I was afraid to address my sagging axle as it would have kept the 13er out of the garage (neighborhood covenant requires it be inside). That Harbor freight or dollies on hubs is a GREAT idea. Thank you!
heypizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #10

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
We put on smaller 10" storage wheels on our 13' Scamp to get it through our garage door...here's pics of the two wheels for comparison...and the trailer coming out of the garage on the way to be painted. This works great for us...at least so far!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1849.jpg   20150420_205615.jpg  

Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp 13er
Wisconsin
Thanks for the info. However, I have an "escape hatch" up top and the cover adds a few more inches. Even on my original (shot) axle it barely clears while the hubs/drums are resting directly on wheel dollies as suggested above. Scheduled for a new #2500lb axle is on order, hope it will fit back in garage after that. If not, I may have to remove that escape hatch (or at least the cover).

So, with all the on and off with the wheels in my future, I bought an electric impact wrench and 13/16ths socket to do the job quicker. The other purchase that I am super happy with is this: Aluminum Floor Jack - 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack
with a coupon, I got this jack for 59.99 at Harbor Freight this week. I placed (2) 2x4's on it to catch both sides of the rear frame. I first lowered the front of the trailer onto a Harbor Freight 4-wheel moving dolly (the little wooden ones with 4 caster wheels and a bit of carpet on them...it was 8 bucks on sale) that went under the tongue, then removed the wheels setting the drums into the wheel dollies (also Harbor freight).

I may permanently add some caster wheels to the bottom of the frame (after the new axle is on so I will know the size necessary) so I can just wheel it in and out by removing the main wheels and forgo the 10" as they are probably too tall for me anyway.

Since it may have to be done frequently, it's best to figure out the most efficient method I guess. Thanks for the ideas!!
heypizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by heypizon View Post
I may permanently add some caster wheels to the bottom of the frame (after the new axle is on so I will know the size necessary) so I can just wheel it in and out by removing the main wheels and forgo the 10" as they are probably too tall for me anyway.
!
Great idea Brian! Far less work than swapping wheels.

John
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:35 PM   #13

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
I used to prop up my open garage door to get my Boler inside. There was a couple of inches of play in the door. The trailer vent cover cleared by less than an inch, but it worked. Nothing on the roof, e.g. ac, and 13" tires.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp