window curtain/shade ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Question window curtain/shade ideas

Trailer ready except windows. Need ideas about how to best cover windows. Seems like curtains on the curtain rods will hang away from wall so that they will not block much light due to the curve in the wall. What ideas are out there for curtains or other to provide privacy and possibly block sunlight in the early morning hours? Need suggestions that others have used.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Sew Velcro hook material to the bottom of the curtains. It will hold the curtain bottoms tight to the wall if pressed against the rat fur.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Name: Kathi
Trailer: Cadet
New Brunswick
Curtain rods, top and bottom so the curtain is tight to the window. I use 2 stretchy cords as rods, with a hook at each end. They pass thru a hem at the top and a hem at the bottom and hook to screw hooks either side of the window top and bottom. That way the fabric does not hang away from a sloping window.
minihorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Cassie
Trailer: 1979 Trillium
British Columbia
I installed c channel to the ensolite with commercial double sided tape, it keeps the curtains snug up against the windows and doesn't let in much light. I did used black out material because I don't need our kids waking up with the sun.
Cassie Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
I put some simple twill tape across the windows by just having one screw on each side of the window thru the tape. This holds the blackout curtains quite sufficiently close to the window that hardly any light comes thru.....works well and is very easily removed if we no longer wish it to be there.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
You've asked the right person, the Gleeful Glamper, as I have tried and obsessed, frankly, about many curtain and black out shade options. Of course, it has to look "pretty". Following are some photos of my, so far, best for me solutions.

To black out light I made manual roll-up shades out of Ron-Loc, black out fabric sold at most fabric stores and online. The rod is made of old tent rods which extend beyond the curtain rod brackets. Roll the shade behind the curtains. Note: the shade rods are not anchored and should be removed while traveling. I store the rolled up shades in the well under the front window, behind the sofa back in my 13' Scamp (no shower/toilet)

For curtains I used the original curtain panels, or you could sew your own. I prefer my curtains to be 2x the width of the curtain rod for fullness. Other people prefer 1.5x. You can see in the photo that I also like to have side panels that I vary for decorative interest. I agree that the bottom of the curtain can be annoying when it hits your face while sleeping. I resolve that by running a tiny bungie cord with hooks on each end through the bottom hem/casing of the curtains. (these are sold by the yard at hardware stores) I attached a "cafe curtain rod hook" into the rat fur using an upholstery pin which corkscrews in. This has held up very well and allows me to open and close the curtains easily. I found I only needed to do this on the side windows. On the back window I slip a tent pole into the bottom hem and just let it hang. Since the back wall is mostly vertical that's all that is needed.

If you want further explanation you can PM (personal message) me or search "Gilda curtains" in the FGRV forum.

Good luck and have fun with this project!
Attached Thumbnails
Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 032.jpg   Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 033.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 021.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 011.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote