Window for an 87 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot
I have come to the conclusion that the windows in my 13' 87 Bigfoot need to be pulled and reseald/re-installed. I am in the midst of tearing out the saturated front half of my floor because the front window has been leaking for quite some time now. The previous owner tried on numerous occasions to caulk the window frame and hinges for the gravel guard due to the various colors i have seen and I would like to do it right. So my questions today are if anyone has had experince pulling the front window? Are they glued in like a car windshield? What about the smaller side windows? Has anyone considered using drywall anchors for reinstalling the brackets for the gravel guard on the front window? Some of the screws have striped out. Let me know what you think.
stevebgrassvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
Hi Steve,
I responded to Carl G on a message he forwarded to me from you RE the windows. In case it doesn't make it your way, I have the same trailer and have had all my windows refurbished.

When I took them out, there is just an inner trim-ring that's screwed to the outer frame. Just remove this ring - likely the existing caulk and butyl will hold it in place, but you may want someone on the outside, just in case. Really it should just be butyl and the trim-ring that keep the window sealed and tight.

This is true for all the windows.

RE the brackets for the molded fiberglass window guard, when I redid the inside, I tabbed some wood to the fiberglass on the back side of these mounts so that they'd have something to bite into. I actually tabbed all the wood supports b/c Bigfoot only glued these strips to the shell interior - good from afar, but far from good. Over the years, the glue just let go on mine. The upper cabinets were barely holding on when I stripped her down.

FYI - the company that made your windows is up here in Summerland BC. I had them refurbished and they're like new - black powder-coated, new screens, seals etc.

Mike
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
Hi Steve,
I responded to Carl G on a message he forwarded to me from you RE the windows. In case it doesn't make it your way, I have the same trailer and have had all my windows refurbished.

When I took them out, there is just an inner trim-ring that's screwed to the outer frame. Just remove this ring - likely the existing caulk and butyl will hold it in place, but you may want someone on the outside, just in case. Really it should just be butyl and the trim-ring that keep the window sealed and tight.

This is true for all the windows.

RE the brackets for the molded fiberglass window guard, when I redid the inside, I tabbed some wood to the fiberglass on the back side of these mounts so that they'd have something to bite into. I actually tabbed all the wood supports b/c Bigfoot only glued these strips to the shell interior - good from afar, but far from good. Over the years, the glue just let go on mine. The upper cabinets were barely holding on when I stripped her down.

FYI - the company that made your windows is up here in Summerland BC. I had them refurbished and they're like new - black powder-coated, new screens, seals etc.

Mike
Thanks Mike! This is what I had thought but wanted to make sure before I tried to pry and push those babies out. What about the front and rear plexi glass windows. Is it difficult to remove/re-install them without taking the actual plexi glass out? Meaning, keeping the glass within the frame?
stevebgrassvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Lil Bigfoot
You got it Steve -they are part of the frame and just come out in one piece. Mine had cracks all around the perimeter of the plexi - another motivator to have them all re-done.

If you ever want the contact info up here I can get it for you. It was very reasonable to have all the windows rebuilt - even if it cost you a bit to FedEx them, you'd be happy with them in the end.

M
Mike Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Steveb,

The company is Sun View Industries and their website has a form "get a quote" that you might want to take a look at. The windows in the newer Bigfoot trailers are double glazed and solar reflective. Some owners have experienced movement of some insulating foam from inside the frame into the view portion between the layers of glass. In my case it is a minor cosmetic issue involving only one window. The seal is OK as far as I can tell. I plan to live with it, unless it gets worse.

Since you are in the USA, you might want to check if you can get replacement windows from the source(s) Casita and Scamp get theirs from. I believe the windows are made up for the size of the opening and the wall thickness. Depending on your needs, a local glass shop might be able to help with repairs such as replacing the glazing.

Best of luck to you. There are few things as frustrating as a leaky vehicle or RV.

Bob
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #6

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
1989 Lil Bigfoot front window

Mine needs replacing and a new gasket, so I'm reading all the threads about this.

I have had emails from Kent at SunView, who tells me they still have the gasket. I've asked him more about the replacement procedure, and he says it's been 30 years since they did this kind of window. I'm hoping he can give me a few more details.

I have asked my local glass business about doing the window, and they seemed willing to give it a shot but backed off once I queried them about HOW they would do this. They seem certain that acrylic wants to jump back to being flat, so this kind of window is impossible to replace.

I've watched the YouTube videos on replacing the front window in a Boler, and that seems to be a different kettle of fish... no metal frame surround like we have on the Bigfoot.

Has anyone here replaced their own front window? Any photos or details would be very helpful. TIA

EllPea, who continues the struggle to make things right!

Tags
bigfoot