Window Gaskets and Armor All - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
South
Window Gaskets and Armor All

Some of the window gaskets of my Scamp have shrunk over time. I was chatting with another Scamp owner in a campground and he commented that a gasket could be removed and stretched to original size after applying Armor All.

2 questions:

1. Has anyone tried this; and if so, with what results?

2. I did not get the name of the actual Armor All product he referred to. Any suggestions there?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
It might be too late to do your gaskets much good, but rubber, vinyl and the like do suffer from exposure to the elements, especially sunlight. I have some doubt it will stretch back more than a small amount. I would be ready to replace if I were to try it.

I think the original Armor All Protectant is pretty good for vinyl and plastic. For rubber gaskets and seals I use pure silicone paste. About once a year seems to be enough to keep it in reasonably good shape for many years. Just don't leave too much on as it will hold abrasive dirt. I do the same on the door and window seals on my vehicles. With older vehicles it seemed to help a lot but with modern ones I think the seals are better able to hold up without being treated. Or maybe I am just not keeping vehicles to such a ripe old age anymore.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Once the gaskets dry out their done. I wouldn’t trust them. Been there done that. Bite the bullet and contact Hehr and purchase new gaskets. Not sure if Ed still works there but he was great when ordering. I used hot soapy water to soak my gaskets for a few minutes, making them easier to pop in. I no longer have my scamp ( went back to the dark side in 2016). Hehr 1 (800) 637-8938
Old 02-16-2020, 09:05 AM   #4

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp
South
Thanks Re Window Gaskets

Thanks to both who replied. I appreciate it.
Matt
Matt L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
your procedure

so do these just pop out and new ones put back in? Our Scamp is a 98 while not showing too much wear you can see where the sun is working on them!

thanks

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Once the gaskets dry out their done. I wouldn’t trust them. Been there done that. Bite the bullet and contact Hehr and purchase new gaskets. Not sure if Ed still works there but he was great when ordering. I used hot soapy water to soak my gaskets for a few minutes, making them easier to pop in. I no longer have my scamp ( went back to the dark side in 2016). Hehr 1 (800) 637-8938
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
When the gaskets shrink, they need replacing. I have tried the armour all trick, along with a few others but the bottom line is the gaskets or seals are worn out. There are plenty of vintage trailer part places out there where you can get replacements. I own a 1976 Boler and have no problem getting any parts.
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #7

When I replaced all mine on one of my Scamps I found: the gaskets just pull out once you get a screwdriver (flat head) under one end and pry it up until you can get a hold of it. Then clean out the tracks real good. Then I would cut a piece a little longer than I needed. Soak in hot soapy water for a few minutes. Then start the gasket in and I think I used a rubber mallet ( holding one side of the rubber mallet) and just push in the gasket as you work your way around the window. Then cut off the end to fit snug against the other end of the gasket. The rubber mallet will save your hand because you will have to use some force (not a lot) to push it in. Not that difficult. My first Scamp had been sitting for a couple of years and the gaskets were all starting to dry out and shrink. I purchased enough to do all the windows.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #8

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Another question about the window gaskets...*IF* I were not able to replace by myself, would an RV repair place be able to do it? If not, what type repair place WOULD?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #9

Any RV repair place should be able to replace them. I had never replaced one before and I replaced all the ones in the Scamp 5er I had. I mentioned using the rubber mallet because it took me really sore fingers after the first day before I got smart and used the mallet. It’s not that hard and the good thing is you can do one window at at time and take your time.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Are we talking about the gaskets in the opening windows or the lockstrip in the fixed window? For the lock strip there is a tool available (that is not a mallet) and a ton of threads such as this one (which mentions using Armor All) on this board about the tool and the replacement procedure.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
learn to seach

Gordon I have to learn that search tool also. so much stuff available to us!

thanks

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Are we talking about the gaskets in the opening windows or the lockstrip in the fixed window? For the lock strip there is a tool available (that is not a mallet) and a ton of threads such as this one (which mentions using Armor All) on this board about the tool and the replacement procedure.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 PM   #12

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
One other possible thought .....

To soften hardened rubber gaskets, you might consider plain old silicone spray.

See the following:
How-to-Soften-Old-Hard-Rubber

How to Soften Old Hard Rubber

Good luck!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #13

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
I am from the marine industry, and we have learned to not use Armor All because it can remove plasticizers and make plastic more brittle. The product we use is 303 protectant.

303 can also be used to rejuvenate stiff windshield wiper blades.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Those gaskets, also called "glazing bead", do shrink. We replaced all ours in our 05 Scamp about 2 years ago. While awaiting replacement, you can slide them around the window a bit so that they completely seal the bottom part and have the gap at the top, that way you will prevent most rain from getting in as it rolls down the window. The problem is that they not only shrink lengthwise, which is visually obvious, but they shrink widthwise too, so they no longer seal tightly against the window.
We ordered ours from Interstate RV metal, part number 009-842.
Two and a half years ago, these were the prices;
009-842 Black =$2.25 per ft
009-344 Black =$1.50 per ft
You will have a $5.00 box charge and UPS charges.
Attached Thumbnails
Glazing bead.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have had good sucess with using the product "Mother's Back to Black" It helps soften the lost plastisizers in the gaskets I have tried it on. No silicone in it. But you can not do any process that will make a shrunken gasket restore to its original size. Soften yes, change the dimension, no.

I generally avoid using silicones because if you ever need to use an adhesive on the surface or put paint on it then it might fail to adhere due to silicone residue which can be very elusive when it comes to getting a truly clean surface preparation.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #16

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
We’ve been using either silicone or 303 UV Protectant is great for protection from the sun's UV rays.
We also use it on all our vehicle’s window and door gaskets, on the window, door and hatch gaskets on our boat as well as on kayaks, inflatables, Grunden or Helly rain gear etc.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote