Window Maintenance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2020, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Window Maintenance

Hey All,

Some of the windows on our '07 Scamp are in need of attention. There is a flexible trim strip around the glass that apparently holds it in the frame. Over the years it seems to have shrunk and is pulling out at the corners. My thought is to lube it somehow, perhaps with WD-40, gently pull it out then push it back in to reseal the corners.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Dennis.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Name: Frank
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream
Nevada
Registry
Flexable trim around windows

There is also a rubber trim around the windows in our Fiber Stream. They have also through the years shrunk and are a little discolored in one of the windows. I use a product made for keeping rubber and rubber like materials soft and flexible. It is called 303 aerospace protectant. It is also a uv blocker. I use it mostly to keep my rubber raft in good condition but have found many other uses that include the rubber trim around my windows in the Fiber Stream. Give it a try.
Good Luck!
canyon Rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Do you think the 303 would restore the flexibility of the rubber enough the be able to push the dry rubber bead back into the frame. The bead on our Campster has shrunk enough that one corner is pulled loose creating a triangle of about 1 by 1" on the frame sides.

I've been considering this issue for about 5 years since we got it. It hasn't gotten any worse and hasn't caused any problems, but it would be nice to fix.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I would not use WD40 on the rubber.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

Nevada
Registry
Dave,
If you have had this problem for years I would spray your flexible trim with 303 while they are still in the frame and repeat coating them for a few weeks to see if the trim does soften up. Then if it does help with the flexibility try to take the glass and trim out of the frame, clean up the trim with 303 and maybe soak it overnight and then reinstall. I use 303 on my wiper blades for my vehicles and it keeps them from coming apart for years. When they are new I soak the blades overnight in 303 and then wipe them once a month or so with a rag with 303 on it when I am washing the car. It is a great product made to protect whatever you put it on from UV. I am not sure WD40 would do the trick quite as well as 303 because WD40 is a water dispensing spray(that is where the WD comes from) that works great for drying out a wet distributor or lubricating small moving parts. I am not convinced that WD40 will soften rubber products quite as well as 303. 303 is a bit expensive but it goes a long way unless you become like me and use it on just about everything but the kitchen sink!
Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
My 20 year old windows are doing that also; it's not a big deal. You can pull the rubber out and clean up the inevitable bug nests you will find behind the rubber while being careful to not dislodge the glass. When you are finished you can fairly easily re-install the rubber, but you will find it it still too short. If it is hard to re-install the rubber gasket, lubricate it with a mild soap solution or what I used, Armor-All protectant.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
303 & armor-all

Thanks everybody, I'll give your suggestions a try. Dennis.
Dennis McMillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #8

Nevada
Registry
Oh yes I agree with Dan on this. Try not to dislodge the glass from the frame, just remove the rubber, clean it up, reinstall the rubber trim. Using 303 to soak and clean of course. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #9

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
I would replace with new. Suppliers are out there on the web.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #10

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Pelland Enterprises has a large selection of rv window and door weatherstripping and not too expensive. Last year I had the same issue on our Casita SD with the weatherstripping shrinking in length. After several attempts at fixing it I found it easier to just replace it. I did not replace the vertical piece in the middle of the window as it appeared the frame would need to be taken apart to insert the new piece. The perimeter of the sliding window was very easy to replace.

good luck...jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #11

Nevada
Registry
Thanks jon;
The name of the company that supplies door and window weatherstripping. I will add it to my list of parts suppliers! I have been having good luck removing the old weatherstrip around my windows and soaking them for a while in 303 then replacing them. I have done one window so far and it worked well. Some of the weatherstrip has had more sunlight on them because of orientation to the sun as it is parked for storage. I might not be able to save them so new is my only solution. Thanks again jon!

canyon rafter