Window ooze - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Window ooze

Here is the problem. We have a 1999 5er. Around the window panes, there is black stuff oozing out. It looks like black tar and is pretty sticky. I tried using a razor blade to trim it but it just smears it worse. Has anyone had this problem? How did you clean it off of the window?
J. Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This sounds like the rubber seals are deteriorating. Or, does it ooze out of the weep holes in the frame? Dust, pollen and other material accumulates in the frame channels and it all needs to be washed out occasionally. Any pictures to help with diagnosis?
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Try mineral spirits for butyl base sealers on glass.
For window frames:
The frames windows normally come with a foam seal with limited life. When resealing windows they make a wide black butyl tape which is prone to ooze out during summer heat. To trim it off use a plastic putty knife (Wal Mart sells them. $.59) The plastic tip does not scratch your surface. Use the tip of the edge to go around the frame then remove the trimmed material. Mineral spirits cleans up the butyl tape residue off the trailer. I just re-installed two windows yesterday, cleaned up with no issues.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sounds like it may be rubber butyl sealant tape. I use a plastic putty knife to clean it up and have sealed some window gaps with caulking over the butyl to keep it from oozing.

Mineral spirits takes off some topcoat on my trailer so I use windex or acetone with an old scrub sponge to get off residue that the putty knife can't remove.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote