Window screen falls out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Compact
California
Window screen falls out

I've had enough time with my newly remodeled Compact II to find the less than perfect spots. One is with the brand new, rather expensive windows the prior owner installed. They collected water in the tracks, but that was easily fixed by drilling a few extra drain holes. What can I do about a screen that won't stay in place. Two of three work fine. But one is simply too small to stay where it belongs. Or the window frame is somehow too large, or warped a bit during installation? Ideas?
John Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandtonic View Post
I've had enough time with my newly remodeled Compact II to find the less than perfect spots. One is with the brand new, rather expensive windows the prior owner installed. They collected water in the tracks, but that was easily fixed by drilling a few extra drain holes. What can I do about a screen that won't stay in place. Two of three work fine. But one is simply too small to stay where it belongs. Or the window frame is somehow too large, or warped a bit during installation? Ideas?
The first step is to find out what brand of windows you have. Then use that name plus the issues you are having to do an internet search. That way you will find other people with the same specific type of window who might have solved their problems.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Some screens use a long thin bowed strip of metal down each side to act as a tensioner. Could you be missing 1 or both?
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #4

Name: Kim
Trailer: 1985 13' U Haul Camper
Michigan
Hot glue a skinny rubber screen spline around the inner edge of screen. That will make the screen footprint a bit bigger and help wedge it in place. If spline is too little use a little thicker self adhesive weather strip. You may not even have to do the entire screen edge. You may be able to just do the corners or sides depending on how much play you have.
Scoutmarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

California
Thank you all. I'm on my way...
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
Some screens use a long thin bowed strip of metal down each side to act as a tensioner. Could you be missing 1 or both?
These screens slide, so I guess not in this case.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:27 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Try a web search on 'screen tension clips' to find examples and sources for the type of clips Sharon mentioned.

Sorry, I hadn't seen your latest post. I think clips could work on the top edge of a slider, if that is where the need is.

Maybe felt weatherstripping with an adhesive back would work.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fall