Winter Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Winter Storage

I know, this is waaaaay to early to think of.

I'm moving to a home where the garage can accomodate my 13' Scamp. In the winter it gets chilly in S. UT (1.5hrs north of Las Vegas), but no snow storms or long term frigid temps. If the Scamp is stored in the garage, and the coldest it gets at night is in the mid 20's, and in the 30's - 40's during the day, only for a couple of weeks in January, do I have to winterize?

I'm hoping it won't be necessary to winterize because the day temps are above freezing. This will allow me to use it during the winter months if I travel further south.

Thanks,
Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Winter? Bite your tongue Alice! All I can think about your winterizing issue, is an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Just because you winterize the lines and put RV antifreeze down the traps, doesn't mean you can't/won't use it? Recharging the lines and using the appliances when dewinterizing is a snap.

Now, I'm going back to our upper 80 degree day and not going to think about winter for a few more weeks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
What's in your Scamp to winterize? Just wondering because the only thing in my old Boler American that would be winterized is the fresh water tank and I don't even use that tank.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I know, this is waaaaay to early to think of.

I'm moving to a home where the garage can accomodate my 13' Scamp. In the winter it gets chilly in S. UT (1.5hrs north of Las Vegas), but no snow storms or long term frigid temps. If the Scamp is stored in the garage, and the coldest it gets at night is in the mid 20's, and in the 30's - 40's during the day, only for a couple of weeks in January, do I have to winterize?

I'm hoping it won't be necessary to winterize because the day temps are above freezing. This will allow me to use it during the winter months if I travel further south.

Thanks,
Alice
If you are storing in a garage then leave it plugged in to keep the batteries arm and put one of these inside to keep out moisture and keep it warm so the water will not freeze. I keep one in my egg outside and it keeps it warm unless it goes below 20.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Attached Images

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
We don't travel with water in the tank and so winterizing really just consists of removing food, clothing and the battery and charging it to full. Then we replace the road wheels with small 8" ones so we can get the trailer into the garage.
Change the wheels, restock the trailer and it's ready to go. Fill the water tank when you get to your campground.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Good question, Wallo, and we can have a group discussion about this when you come to Cherry Creek, if you want. I think it would be a good topic. I agree with the idea of keeping a heater of some kind in there if needed. One thing I do in my garage is keep a couple of water bottles sitting around and I watch them during the winter. I've never seen them freeze, even in the coldest times over here in Aurora. I do know there are Thermostat controlled heaters, too, that would only come on if needed.
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Winter? Bite your tongue Alice!

LOL, Donna, it's coming sooner than you think...........

Personally I agree with the a ounce of prevention theory. It's not worth it! The real problems come when it sits for days and days of frozen temps. And from what your saying you won't have those, but I still would take steps to assure that your water lines don't freeze. Enjoy your new home! Look forward to meeting you soon......................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I have a shower, toilet and kitchen sink. I'd rather not winterize so I can just pack up and go on the spur of the moment.

When it's 110 degrees, thinking of January helps.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #9

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you are storing in a garage then leave it plugged in to keep the batteries arm and put one of these inside to keep out moisture and keep it warm so the water will not freeze. I keep one in my egg outside and it keeps it warm unless it goes below 20.
Amazon.com: Davis Instruments Air-Dryr 500 Dryer: Sports & Outdoors
Nice! Anybody else have any experience with these? How well do they work? My Casita is in the barn but it gets moist out there. Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wallo, My Casita is in our Barn. A few winters ago I winterized it. I guess I didn't get it winterized as well as I thought. It blew my water heater in half! Lovely mess, plus I needed a new water heater. Again, not worth it!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Nice! Anybody else have any experience with these? How well do they work? My Casita is in the barn but it gets moist out there. Thanks

Here in upstate NY I wouldn't risk it because it just gets to darn cold, but for some parts of the country it would work just fine. I have never thought it to be a big deal winterizing, usually it only takes me 15 minutes and that's when I had a shower/toilet . But I put in bypasses and shut-off's to make things easier and faster. I hate thinking about winter now too, but ya know its comin soon.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Alice, the problem with this type of question is no one can say what next winter will bring. I know we have winters here where one could have gotten away without putting any anti freeze into the trailer but then suddenly we might get a week of real cold weather - would not want to be worried about it if I was away when it happened. As Robin has said a hot water tank is not cheap - the previous owner of my trailer had to replace mine as well due to failure to winterize it. I have actually started taking the drain pipe cap off of the hot water tank after each trip and leaving it off until I hook up again as on more than one occasion I thought it was empty only to discover it wasnt. Adding ar jug of anti freeze only takes a minute or two to do & you can still use the trailer at any time just dont drink the water out of the freash water tank:-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't think it's ever going to freeze in Texas after this summer ... yikes!

Some planning, draining, small heater, and remote thermometer will let you know how your Scamp is doing.
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Winter? What's that?

That must be when Palm Springs becomes a Canadian city.