winter storage and weight off axle. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Byron
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
winter storage and weight off axle.

So i got lots of work to do on the boler this winter so she is already in the garage. I have supported the axle using two scissor jacks (see picture).

Think it's good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130902_135111.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	64013
Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Is this really necessary? My Scamp is 36 years old and the previous and original owner didn't do it. Should I start now? For me, it would be a lot of work because I'd be doing it alone (64 year old female). Not that I'm not strong enough, it just makes me tired thiking about it.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Linda,
You always want to jack up the trailer when not in use to keep most the weight off the axle. This helps keep the rubber inside from prematurely distorting permanently.

The easy way is nose down, jack in rear, then raise the nose too high.
Jacks in the front, lower the nose to take the weight.

Not much different from disconnecting and levelling your trailer. You are trying to take the majority of the weight off the axle and leave it on the frame.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I don't know about Boler, but Scamp recommends taking the weight off the axle, but not to place the jack on the axle, but on the frame just behind the axle. I raise while in storage with a floor jack on the frame, then two jack stands.

Added: While I do it for the off season(also in a carport for protection) I would guess that the military(who was the previous owner) never took the weight off the axle. (when I did the wheel bearings after purchase, I don't think they ever repacked the bearings either!)
Old 09-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #5

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Is this really necessary? My Scamp is 36 years old and the previous and original owner didn't do it. Should I start now? For me, it would be a lot of work because I'd be doing it alone (64 year old female). Not that I'm not strong enough, it just makes me tired thiking about it.
My thoughts as well.

What dire or other consequences might result from not jacking the frame up while being stored? (I can't even think of how I would do this, though I'm sure I could learn!)

I see being able to take the Scamp out every month or so, when inspired, during the fall and winter. Without knowing how involved this is jack procedure is I am reluctant to start the learning curve without knowing the downside of ignoring this recommendation.

Thanks!
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't do it. If I have to replace the axle in 15 years instead of 20, so what... I don't want the bother of one more thing in order to GO. If I had to do something special to get the trailer inside a garage, then I probably would. But, mine is parked under a 18'x25' carport. Ya make your choices....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ah Donna,

How I envy where you live and your camping season.

Here in the frozen north with -40 winters our choice is to jack it up. We only camp June-Sept so it makes sense for us to take the weight off of both the axles and tires. I'll bet you never experienced driving on square tires in the winter. It must be tough on tires to sit all winter on just one spot.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I lift mine. It is not that much work once you have a system worked out. YMMV.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I thought that this topic had been discussed before, and what I learned to late that supporting the scamp off the ground by the back "stabilizing jacks" and by the front swing down tongue jack would bend the frame. Mine did (23 year old 13' Scamp) and broke while on our 2 month trip last year. This year after beefing up/repairing the frame I mounted small car scissor jacks just behind the wheels to the new frame. I mounted 3/4" nuts to these and to our tongue jack, as now I can quickly raise/lower/ level and lift the tires off the ground for storage on our scamp using my cordless electric drill....very quick and simple. We are half way through this years 2 month trip, so no pictures yet. I will be adding these to our album along with a pantry I added just prior to us leaving on this years adventures. We will be back home in October.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #10

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Registry
That sounds pretty handy, to have the jacks mounted to the frame. I'll be interested in your pictures when you get back. Also the pantry!

I am reassured to hear that Donna doesn't bother. Must be the sensible avatar pic that makes me trust her! She looks so responsible!
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Speaking of systems. Fred said he has a new plan for this year. He usually raises one side, puts the jack in the Scamp authorized spot. then goes to the other side and repeats. this is not great as one side for a while is higher.

This year he said we will each be on one side with our bottle jacks jacking up at the same time. OK. I am ready to move to a warmer climate so I can be like Donna.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rock View Post
I have supported the axle using two scissor jacks (see picture).

Think it's good?
Although the axle manufacturers say not to jack directly on the axle, I think their concern is that people will jack somewhere in the middle, bending the tube. Where this jack is located looks safe to me.

The other reason not to jack on the tube of a "rubber torsion" independent suspension is that if the arms are trailing the tube is well forward of the wheel centre or axle line (6" for a Torflex #9 with level arms) and so it is closer to the trailer's centre of balance than the axle: the trailer will be more easily tipped back when supported up there. Jacks on the frame at or close behind the axle line would avoid this problem. With the leading arms of the original Boler 1300 and Scamp 13' design, this is not a problem because the tube is behind the axle line.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #13

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Thanks everyone for the information.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote