Winter Water Prep - (for we uninitiated) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Angry

OK, there have been discussions on this board about how to store the FGTs for winter, how to keep the water tanks clean. But somehow I missed this small (ahem!) detail.

Donna, Raya, Larry and Dana, in fact ALL of you experienced folks can just stop reading here, because you KNOW this. (Or read on, nod your heads, smile, try not to fire the coffee out your nostrils when you begin to laugh at my faux pas.)

This message is for the rest of us - relative newbies.

We had our trailer out in January for some camping, and when we came home I winter-prepped the water tank. I pumped until the chlorinated water filled the line and started into the sink, but that's where I stopped. I've since had the trailer out in the driveway for easier access while I do a few, you know, "little things." Since we live in a HOA, it was time to conform to the rules and put Junior away for awhile - out of sight, out of our neighbors' minds.

Today I backed it into the garage, then decided to make sure the hand pump line still had the "good" (aka clean) water in it. That one pump was enough to cause some overflow into the pail I had (fortunately) placed under the outside drain. PEEEE-EW! Did THAT ever stink!

I realized then that while I'd prepped all the fresh water portions, I'd failed to flush the drain! It's a U-drain, so there was a healthy amount of whatever we last cleaned (probably peach cobbler crumbs) sitting in the drain, rotting, for the past month.

Solution: I put the plug in the sink, pumped until it was about half full, made sure the pail was in place, then pulled the plug. UGH! The stuff that came out! I did this again, and that second time the water flushing was the good stuff.

SO glad I figured this one out now! Woulda really stunk up the place by the time we got back to camping in it!

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have winter prepped my egg drains by using a shop vac to suck the water out of the p-trap, leaves them clean and dry.
Paul Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
I have winter prepped my egg drains by using a shop vac to suck the water out of the p-trap, leaves them clean and dry.
I get annoyed at all these people who are so much smarter than me. Consequently I am annoyed at a LOT of people (coincidentally even more as I get older?).
Thanks for sharing your good idea.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Snicker, you make me laugh Ian

I always carry bottled drinking water (gallon, or 2-1/2 gallon size), there always seems to be some left over at the end of a camping trip. I pour that down the sink after dumping the gray and/or black water tanks, then pull the valves again to dump that water. I've never noticed a stinky odor during storage.

Different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote