Yamaha Generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Looking at some dealers for these and the specs are very good, priced well also.
Anyone running one of these? These are in Canadian dollars of course.
http://www.northerntool.ca/advanced_search...erter+generator
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
For the inverter series, Yamahas and Hondas seem to have about the same specs for comparable models

Yamaha's website shows a noise level rating of 51 -57 dBA for their 3000iSEB while Honda's gives 49-58 dBA for their EU3000i. From the link you provided, Northern listed the Yamaha at 54 dBA.

Not sure how the price works out after the $ conversion but Wise Sales had the EU3000 Honda for around $1,650 US w/shipping included a few months back.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
I ordered a Yamaha 2400IS from wise sales on friday, I'll post my experience's when it arrives.

I reason for selection over the EU200, was the added 400 Watts for the a/c start,
the web site also claims tha the unit will run a 13,500 BTU AC unit.

Price was $1149 total, US.

david.
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
Well the 2400IS showed up yesterday, not bad order it on Friday from Wise.

New toy, must play, LOL.
So I cut open the box and dug the manual out, fixed a prizza in the oven and
sat down to read the manual.

After dinner pulled it out of the box, found so oil and filled the generator up with both, and fired the sucker up, one pull.

Noise level pretty low actually, shut it down and carried it down to the Scamp,
70 lbs, not to heavy but wouldn't want to lug it too far.

Made a quick ground rod, out of 14 gauage wire and screwdriver, fired it up, and hook the trailer up to the generator.

Go inside and turn on the lights and the AC, kicked right on, you could hear the generator speed increase to pick up the load. Placed the AC into the super position and made sure the reefer was on, no problem.

Now my AC is the standard that came with the trailer.

So I think this was one of my few good decisions, was $100-200 more then the honda, but I think its worth it for the additional 400 watts.

BTW, Yamaha is as well respected as regard to built quailty as honda is in the motorcycle world.

david
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Quote:
Well the 2400IS showed up yesterday, not bad order it on Friday from Wise.

New toy, must play, LOL.
So I cut open the box and dug the manual out, fixed a prizza in the oven and
sat down to read the manual.

After dinner pulled it out of the box, found so oil and filled the generator up with both, and fired the sucker up, one pull.

Noise level pretty low actually, shut it down and carried it down to the Scamp,
70 lbs, not to heavy but wouldn't want to lug it too far.

Made a quick ground rod, out of 14 gauage wire and screwdriver, fired it up, and hook the trailer up to the generator.

Go inside and turn on the lights and the AC, kicked right on, you could hear the generator speed increase to pick up the load. Placed the AC into the super position and made sure the reefer was on, no problem.

Now my AC is the standard that came with the trailer.

So I think this was one of my few good decisions, was $100-200 more then the honda, but I think its worth it for the additional 400 watts.

BTW, Yamaha is as well respected as regard to built quailty as honda is in the motorcycle world.

david
David,
I've had a Yamaha 3000 ISE for several years. We had it converted to propane so we don't have to carry additional fuel. We love it. You can stand next to it when it is running and carry on a conversation without raising one's voice. The decibel ratings for both Honda and Yamaha seem to fluctuate depending on who you are talking to. When ours was purchased, the Yamaha was supposedly quieter by 4 or 5 decibels. I chose the Yamaha because they purportedly make more generators than anyone else in the world.The 3000 will power everything in "Nuestra Casita" running at the same time, except probably the hot water heater which isn't wired in yet. Since we have frequent power outages at home, I wanted to use the Yamaha for emergencies & felt the 3000 was a compromise between weight and power for both demands. I just changed it's oil about 2 weeks ago using a WalMart suction device sold in their automotive dep't. I felt it would be too messy to try to drain it through the rubber plugged hole in it's cocoon and then through the expanded metal on which it is mounted. Since the TT tongue mount is relatively permanent it was easier that way. I once had the generator battery go dead because it wasn't used for about 6 months, so I purchased another 12V Yamaha outlet and installed on the battery cover with clip leads hooked to it's battery. Now it can be jump-started from the extra battery which is also mounted on the tongue. I should add that the generator is mounted inside an aluminum diamond-plate box which precludes using the rope pull starter.
It has met all our real and imagined requirements.
Enjoy!!!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
To my knowledge,Yamaha is a little more diversified than Honda. I don't believe I've seen any Honda musical instruments. Yamaha's are wonderful quality products. The reputations of both Yamaha and Honda are excellent so it becomes a kind of "Ford or Chevy" or "Scamp or Casita" type decision. Take your pick and enjoy...
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO and just a thought....
1000 W might not be enough and the next larger sized might be too big for most usages. Hunda seems to have some product in between AND at THOSE prices (even in Canuck Bucks) used might be a less co$tly way to go, even though you'll have no warranty
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
According to what I read a while back on a Yahoo Honda group, persons intending to buy a second generator at a later date to run in parallel with the first one (i.e., lots of standy power for home power outage), should shop carefully. Apparently, the Canadian and US electrical codes for small generators differ and the Canadian 1000/2000W Hondas can NOT be paralleled to a single output like the US models can.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
To my knowledge,Yamaha is a little more diversified than Honda. I don't believe I've seen any Honda musical instruments. Yamaha's are wonderful quality products. The reputations of both Yamaha and Honda are excellent so it becomes a kind of "Ford or Chevy" or "Scamp or Casita" type decision. Take your pick and enjoy...
Kurt & Ann K.
Well maybe kind of a Toyota Mazda as we are talking Quality here
Old 08-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
Quote:
Well maybe kind of a Toyota Mazda as we are talking Quality here

Thats not funny.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Thats not funny.
Now don't be like that
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #12

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Quote:
Apparently, the Canadian and US electrical codes for small generators differ and the Canadian 1000/2000W Hondas can NOT be paralleled to a single output like the US models can.
Please see the attached from www.honda.ca
Honda Canada PDF
It shows that you can indeed parallel the EU1000I[b]c. Why it doesn't show the same for the EU2000I[b]c specs is beyond me. I'm betting it can be done, but I won't try it anytime soon -my margarita blender peaks at 450w.
Previous generator discussion Here. I guess the question on the 2000 remains.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Quote:
Kurt & Ann K.
Hi Kurt and Ann K!,
How did you convert your Yamaha 3000 to propane?? Want to do the same to our Honda 2000 and A & C has a conversion kit and wondering if weekend mechanic can do it or take to propane shop? Did you notice any power drop?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Chuck H.
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:48 AM   #14

Chuck,
Check the web site for US Carburetion. They actually designed a kit using my generator as a prototype. They make kits for most generators. Instructions are good for doing it yourself. Since we never operated it on gasoline, we had no basis for comparison. The conversion has proven to work very well. We have used our generator extensively to provide power for air conditioning when in desert areas.
The decision to convert makes sense in so many ways. Since we carry 2 propane tanks, it is only necessary to move a valve handle if we run out of fuel. No more pouring fuel from one container to another with the probability of spills occurring and the possibility of fire danger.
Fire danger is the reason that Forestry won't allow the use of liquid fuel gas stoves while camping, but will allow propane fueled stoves.
As far as I'm concerned, the reasons for conversion far outweigh the initial monetary cost.
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:28 AM   #15

Trailer: Burro
Quote:
We had it converted to propane so we don't have to carry additional fuel. We love it.
Where did you have it done and how much did it cost for the conversion ? Sounds like the only way to go .
AbenDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
Hope you all camp close together and away from me.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #17

I want one for my house Jim I have solar for the Trill