Yeast in Black Water tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Yeast in Black Water tank

Hello everyone,
I just have a quick question.....I heard some talk awhile back from someone that said a long time ago(20 years or more)they used yeast in their black water tank,because they did not like the way tank cleaners smelled. She did not remember how much her husband used way back then....but said it worked real good in breaking down "stuff" in the tank and made it easy to clean.

So has anyone ever heard of this and if so what kind of mix would you use? The best she could think of was they mixed it up before they left on a trip in a pint jar to get it desolved real good then poured it down the toilet with a bucket of water....then did the same thing after they dumped the tank & headed home.

Anyway just thought I would throw it out there and see what anyone might know or think about using yeast in their Black water tank.

Happy camping,Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
Hello everyone,
I just have a quick question.....I heard some talk awhile back from someone that said a long time ago(20 years or more)they used yeast in their black water tank,because they did not like the way tank cleaners smelled. She did not remember how much her husband used way back then....but said it worked real good in breaking down "stuff" in the tank and made it easy to clean.

So has anyone ever heard of this and if so what kind of mix would you use? The best she could think of was they mixed it up before they left on a trip in a pint jar to get it desolved real good then poured it down the toilet with a bucket of water....then did the same thing after they dumped the tank & headed home.

Anyway just thought I would throw it out there and see what anyone might know or think about using yeast in their Black water tank.

Happy camping,Lynn
Yeast or even RidX may well be able to breakdown waste material, but it must be remembered that these methods take time and are an ongoing operation. they are most effective when applied when anticipating long periods of inactivity.
Chemical treatments such as "Odorlos" are in fact odorless and meant to be quickly effective, this is important since Blackwater holding tanks are designed to be emptied regularly, and normally without the long periods of inactivity required to allow yeast products to work.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I empty out frequently (approx 5 days or less) I mix one cup of borax in a gallon of water(shake real good to get it to dissolve or use hot water) and pour into the toilet followed by about a 1/2 gallon more of just plain water (not necessary but i like a lot of water in there).....try it sometime. works for me.
You could also add a dab of Dawn Dish Detergent" to the mix....gets a little bubbly and keeps things clean
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Exclamation Word to the wise

Hi Lynn,

Please be aware that some "home brew" recipes for tank treatment could present health risks to you, or hazards to the dump station or the seals and valves in your trailer. Each year a number of dump stations close or increase fees as the costs of maintaining these amenities becomes more difficult under increasing regulation.

I think we can all do ourselves and the dump sites a favor by sticking to tested and approved non-formaldehyde treatments. You can get commercial enzymatic or bacteria-friendly treatments at the same stores that offer chemical treatments.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Yeast is a classic treatment for septic tanks to keep them happy. I remember back in the '40's, my Dad pouring a quart or so of a yeast mixture into our tank once a year. I still put a package or two of active dry yeast in my tank several times a year. I don't know if it does any good but it doesn't seem to hurt. Can't get much more natural than yeast. It's in the air.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

Ok just so everyone understands........We were not thinking about using yeast.....and we still do not plan to. it was something I *heard* about and just wanted to know if anyone had heard or used it in the (long ago) past. Yes I remember using it in the septic tanks at home when we had them cleaned.....but had never heard of it in a camper tank. Sounded kind of odd to me.

Thanks everyone now I know I was not the only one that thought it was a bad idea....but until you hear from the experts you cann't argue with the storier teller

Happy Camping to all......looks like we have at least 2 more trips this year. Maybe more if the weather holds,Lynn
Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #7

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
A dead chicken works too but I wouldn't recommend it for an RV.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
A dead chicken works too but I wouldn't recommend it for an RV.
Yah, that's an old farm recipe for a septic field; bury an old car and put a dead chicken it it. That's what our first one was forty some years ago.

A product we now use is called "Septonic", recommended for Septic fields and RVs.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Benz View Post
Yah, that's an old farm recipe for a septic field; bury an old car and put a dead chicken it it. That's what our first one was forty some years ago.

A product we now use is called "Septonic", recommended for Septic fields and RVs.

Vic
been there done that ...hope I never have to do that again! Isn't progress wonderful ?

There is not much of anything that smells worse than a dead chicken after a day in the heat.

Happy Camping ....Lynn
Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
There is not much of anything that smells worse than a dead chicken after a day in the heat.
Yes there is.... Visiting relatives after three days..... Or is that fish

But yeah, be careful about home brew solutions. Don't want to dry out or damage the gaskets in a toilet or the toilet gate/valve. That's one stinky job to repair.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...We use "The Geo Method". Do a Google search to get the proper quanities but it consists of Calgon(WaterSoftner) Laundry detergent(Your fav. scent), and once in a while some Bleach. All harmless laundry products and it keeps the dumping slick and quick. We add it to the black and grey tanks to keep things rosy.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #12

You know one of Many things I like about this sight is all the Friendly,Helpful and funny information that you get here!

The only thing better than "talking" to everyone on this sight would be setting around a camp fire at a rally with all you Great friends.

Happy Camping to ALL.......Lynn
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Boler
Is this something like bath tub gin????????????
clarence haasjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All...We use "The Geo Method". Do a Google search to get the proper quanities but it consists of Calgon(WaterSoftner) Laundry detergent(Your fav. scent), and once in a while some Bleach. All harmless laundry products and it keeps the dumping slick and quick. We add it to the black and grey tanks to keep things rosy.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I too use the Geo system and substituted the "Calgon" for "Borax" because that's what we had around and it works extremely well.
Joe
Old 01-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
A five quart jug of Odorlos can last for several years, we started our second jug last season after 6 years and we often use more than required. my point is that it is effective and economical and, with the measuring dispenser bottle, is as convenient as possible.
It lives up to it's claims as well.

OD-410 ODORLOS HOLDING TANK TREATMENT
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Floyd.....
Looks like a pretty neat product and being so convenient seems i have to at least give it a try..... says four ounces treats 40 gallons... so my 9 gallon tank would only need one ounce....that's pretty good if it works the way you say....
Do you add about a gallon of water to a new clean tank then add the Odorlos?_____
Always willing to try something new that sounds good.
thanks,
Joe