Yellowing- by a rookie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Chinook
Texas
Yellowing- by a rookie

Hey all- brand new here. I do know how to search forums, so please know I realize this is probably a very basic, talked about topic. I tried the search, but there didn't seem to be a thread dedicated to it, just casual mentions. In searching the internet in general, there are a lot of claims, but they sell the product, so always a little skeptical. If I missed the info I am seeking here, I apologize. Please virtually slap me, and guide me to the thread I seek.

I have a new to me 2001 Chinook. It's got yellowing that is pretty consistent. It's not horrible, but in comparison to the white painted cab, noticeable. What is the best approach here? Best product, technique, etc. And am I fighting a losing battle, as in once it's there it will come back soon? Will I weaken the gelcoat by tackling it for aesthetic reasons? I did consider a wrap, as opposed to paint, at a later point. Nothing jicky, something tasteful.

But for now, would like to get the white back and protect it.

Thanks in advance!
FatBuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

Texas
Yeah, thanks. I saw pretty much all of those while searching. Not being unappreciative, just seems that guidance is all over the place. So, maybe the answer is- there's no silver bullet and it is what it is. Just thought I would ask on a forum dedicated to fiberglass RVs as a next step!
Old 05-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuoy View Post
Yeah, thanks. I saw pretty much all of those while searching. Not being unappreciative, just seems that guidance is all over the place. So, maybe the answer is- there's no silver bullet and it is what it is. Just thought I would ask on a forum dedicated to fiberglass RVs as a next step!
Most molded FG trailers have the advantage of no metal cab to compare colors. My 43 year old Trillium was made in a beige/yellow color to begin with and additional yellowing is not an issue at least to me.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Perhaps have the cab repainted to match the fiberglass if the variation in color is a serious issue to you? Or paint the cab some other color than white.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM   #6

Texas
Does anyone have experience with this product? Boat folks say good things about it, but I'm not convinced that it would remove yellowing. Yellowing seems to be a deeper issue than stains, but not sure.

Y10 GRP Fiberglass Cleaner and Stain Remover Gel