1.9' dometic fridge igniter problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
1.9' dometic fridge igniter problem

The piezo igniter on my small (1.9 cf) domestic fridge (RM2193) has been getting increasingly unreliable in the past year to the point where a few times I’ve given up and resorted to a propane BBQ lighter (the propane lighter is not an easy solution in that to get it close enough to the gas jet I have to remove the metal housing around the burner - a tricky task given the location of the incoming gas line). When the piezo is working, there is a definitive “click” associated with the ignition. However, many, if not most, times I press the button it depresses more easily and without the resistance and click associated with ignition. When I do get the proper “click” the fridge lights without a problem so perhaps the problem is something mechanical in the button rather than electrical? BTW, the unit is only 8 years old.

The Dometic manual is not helpful on this issue. Suggestions on how to proceed? How difficult it it to replace the igniter mechanism? Any suggestions on best source of parts?
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
you could try replacing the igniter portion, this site: https://youngfartsrvparts.ca/search?q=2923024109
shows the igniter portion alone, so it must be replaceable. the wire connector would push on from underneath, and the igniter is held in place by a lockring.
once off, you could possibly clean the igniter with a contact cleaner, then let it sit for a day to dry out, but that might not work. Otherwise, just replace the pushbutton portion
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sounds like the piezo igniter is shot. Any hardware store sells them. I have the same fridge and the challenge is removing the old one. Removing the fridge is the easiest way but it can be done in place with a lot of cursing.

There are two wires that need to be removed, one on the end and one on the side. The side one is a spade terminal. The ignitor itself is held in place with a large nut. Best take the old one with you for comparison. Make sure the length and the spade size are both correct. If the fridge hasn't been serviced recently, it might be worth doing that as well.

Finally, that round view port that won't stay open can be held open by adding a small magnet on the cover.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 11:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The CLICK is, You cock it and then it is suddenly released (Click) and it fires. Just replace it because something i side is worn out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

Vermont
Many thanks for the various replies. Joe - thanks for the website for ordering the component. Given the name, I'm wondering if they entertain orders from old farts, as I am distinctly past the young fart stage of life. Raz, I spent some time studying the control panel and it definitely looks like a many curses process to replace the piezo button. However, removing the fridge is too daunting for me to want to take it on. I may live with this problem for a bit longer while I decide how to proceed.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
if you can get to the two wires you could always get something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Onlyfire-Char-...796765645&th=1

and mount it separately
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #7

Vermont
Raz,
Joe posted a link to the igniter and button module above. I believe it connects into an igniter cable that delivers the spark to the burner. You mentioned one wire terminating in a spade connection on the side. Do you know what kind of connection is on the end? My unit has a protective rubber sleeve over the cable so I can't see what the connections look like and the photo on the website doesn't show that detail.
Old 06-24-2022, 11:34 AM   #8

Vermont
The cable listed for this unit looks like this: [URL="https://youngfartsrvparts.com/products/dometic-2951918040-ignition-lead"]
It looks like the wires are bundled into a single cable with a single plug that fits the end of the button component. I'm guessing that if I curse enough to get the button out and a new one in, the cable should plug right in. Sounds simple but there is so little wiggle room to work with I take Raz's caution seriously.

The cable is surprisingly expensive but hopefully I don 't need to replace it.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:58 PM   #9
Raz

On mine Dometic just wrapped a wire around the spade lug with the other end wrapped around a screw. In the picture the red line parallels this wire.

The second wire has a socket that fits over a shaft at the end of the piezo igniter. That just pulls off. Got a gas grill? Easier to see.

The problem is both wires need to come off to get the nut off. The nut is not very tight. You might be able to hold the nut with long nose pliers and twist the igniter.

Dometic prices are crazy. An igniter with wires are for sale at any hardware store. Guess less than $10

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220624_144447.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	146352
Old 06-25-2022, 06:12 AM   #10

Vermont
Lots of helpful info and suggestions here. It may take me a while to take this on but I'll report back. Thanks all.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:44 AM   #11
Raz

No need to remove the housing. BBQ lighter through the round view port.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #12

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
No need to remove the housing. BBQ lighter through the round view port.
Raz,
I guess I need to refine my technique. I don't seem to get the tip of the BBQ lighter close enough to the gas outlet. So there is a small accumulation of gas before it ignites, enough that it blows itself out. The gas outlet is slightly recessed in an enclosure and the viewport is below it so the BBQ lighter is angled upward. With the housing off I can angle the lighter downward and close to the nozzle. But the housing is a pain to remove and replace so this has been an only-as-a-last-resort method. I'll play around some more with lighting via the viewport. If I can get that to work I may not need to worry about the piezo system.

We were camping and hiking last week in the WMNF. We were at Blackberry Crossing but out of curiosity drove through several other of the USFS campgrounds along the Kanc. None were more than about half full (weekend I'm sure was a different story). The host at Blackberry one of the most attentive we've encountered. Nights were unexpectedly cool (low of 38 one night) but daytime hiking temps were perfect.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #13
Raz

Practice, practice, practice. Again a small magnet will keep the view port door open, freeing one hand for the gas button on the safety valve and the other on the lighter.

I was at Wildwood Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Five sites occupied out of 26.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_20220625_114742.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	146386
Old 06-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #14

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
It's often hard to tell if you've gotten the fridge to light if it's bright outside. I reinsert the butane lighter with gas on, no spark. If the fridge is lit, the butane will light. The spark from an empty butane lighter is also a handy way to light the stove. Also, the stove should be lit after travel to make sure gas is flowing in the line before trying to light the fridge.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:04 AM   #15

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
It's often hard to tell if you've gotten the fridge to light if it's bright outside. I reinsert the butane lighter with gas on, no spark. If the fridge is lit, the butane will light. The spark from an empty butane lighter is also a handy way to light the stove. Also, the stove should be lit after travel to make sure gas is flowing in the line before trying to light the fridge.
We do light the stove first, but your other clever ideas are new to me. Thanks Lynn

Tags
fridge