110v Extension Cord...Is it worth buying. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
I have the opportunity to buy a 110 v 50 amp 30 foot extension cord.This is new never used.They are asking $80.00.However the shipping charge is$54.00. a total of $134.50.To purchase from our local RV dealer the cost would be 236.93(inc pst.gst.)saving me $102.00.This seems like a good deal but my question is how often has anyone found it nessesary to use an extension cord at campsites....Our Boler cord is seventeen feet long.I am afraid this will limit us to sites close to an electrial outlet and as we do not have a battery on the trailer at this time would it be wise to purchase this extension cord. ...Thanks in advance for any help you could give....Pat.
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The first question is "Do I need 30Amps worth of 120VAC electricity?" and the answer to that is whether or no you have air conditioning.

The second question is "Will I ever be far enough from the electrical pedestal to need a longer cable when I am running my a/c?".

Were it me, I would be inclined to spend the money on a battery and a good 15 Amp 120VAC extension cord. With a battery, one can live "off the grid" for a while and enjoy the benefits of dry campgrounds like in Natl Forests. YMMV!!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You will never need a 50Amp service for an egg.
We normally park within 5 feet of the camp ground receptacle and use a 12gauge 3 wire extension cord that is aroune 10 feet long.
We use a 10gauge cord (5ft) when we want to use my small generator to power the air conditioner.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I have the opportunity to buy a 110 v 50 amp 30 foot extension cord.This is new never used.They are asking $80.00.However the shipping charge is$54.00. a total of $134.50.To purchase from our local RV dealer the cost would be 236.93(inc pst.gst.)saving me $102.00.This seems like a good deal but my question is how often has anyone found it nessesary to use an extension cord at campsites....Our Boler cord is seventeen feet long.I am afraid this will limit us to sites close to an electrial outlet and as we do not have a battery on the trailer at this time would it be wise to purchase this extension cord. ...Thanks in advance for any help you could give....Pat.
Your wasting your money.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I don't know if this will help, but I found it informative. The recommendation is to remain less than 3% drop in a branch circuit. Use that as a max voltage drop. Here is a Calculator to see what happens.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html

When you buy standard 15 amp house hold extention cords they seem to be 16 AGW. You can start with that and go from there.

I started with:
16 AGW wire
120 Volts
25 feet (common length)
15 amps (electric heater or hair dryer, or electric griddle)

CALCULATE

3.7 Volt drop
116.3 volts
3.1% Drop - TOO MUCH VOLTAGE DROP!

Change to larger wire - 14 AGW = 1.9 Volt drop, OK.

Now try a New length:
50 feet.
14 AGW
3.8% Drop - again too much

This length, 50 feet, needs 12 AGW wire for 2.4% drop.

Does this make sense?

I hope it helps.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
I don't know if this will help, but I found it informative. The recommendation is to remain less than 3% drop in a branch circuit. Use that as a max voltage drop. Here is a Calculator to see what happens.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html

When you buy standard 15 amp house hold extention cords they seem to be 16 AGW. You can start with that and go from there.

I started with:
16 AGW wire
120 Volts
25 feet (common length)
15 amps (electric heater or hair dryer, or electric griddle)

CALCULATE

3.7 Volt drop
116.3 volts
3.1% Drop - [b]TOO MUCH VOLTAGE DROP!

Change to larger wire - 14 AGW = 1.9 Volt drop, OK.

Now try a New length:
50 feet.
14 AGW
3.8% Drop - again too much

[b]This length, 50 feet, needs 12 AGW wire for 2.4% drop.

Does this make sense?

I hope it helps.
In all cases above everything should have worked just. Most appliances are designed to work from 90 Volts to 130 volts.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #7

Registry
First, 50 amp service at RV sites is 220 Volt 4 wire. An adapter would be needed which changes connects to 1/2 of that 50 amp service. 25 Amp service now.

Second, I doubt that you'll ever need that much cord.

Third, I don't know about your Boler, but my Scamp would be hard pressed to draw much more than 5 amps.

Forth, A 25ft 30 amp extension is only $45US at camping world.

Short answer, it's probably not worth the money for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks to everyone who responded. I have decieded to buy a battery and forget the extension cord. I am so glad I found this site to help me over the bumps of new trailer ownership...
Thanks again, Pat
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #9

My trailer has a 15 foot cord with a 30 amp RV plug. I carry a 25 foot 12 AGW extension cord just in case. With it I can run my air compressor, A/C, or Microwave, etc. when needed.

We have needed it a couple times. You may not. We have a big trailer.

How are you going to keep your Battery charged?
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
My trailer has a 15 foot cord with a 30 amp RV plug. I carry a 25 foot 12 AGW extension cord just in case. With it I can run my air compressor, A/C, or Microwave, etc. when needed.

We have needed it a couple times. You may not. We have a big trailer.

How are you going to keep your Battery charged?
Good question...WEELLLL,I guess it will recharge as we drive and I think our converter recharges it .At least thats what the manual seems to indicate....I really have no idea.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
First, 50 amp service at RV sites is 220 Volt 4 wire. An adapter would be needed which changes connects to 1/2 of that 50 amp service. 25 Amp service now.
Umm, not quite right -- 50A @ 240VAC yields two 50A @ 120VAC circuits.

BulgeMobiles with dual, large a/c, microwaves, etc., use a cable with 50A240VAC plug on one end and two 50A120VAC circuits on the other so they can run two a/c's simultaneously. OTOH, if they want to run the big 240VAC welder, they have to plug into the CG pedestal.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
my question is how often has anyone found it nessesary to use an extension cord at campsites....Our Boler cord is seventeen feet long.
In most Ontario Provincial Parks, you are going to need more than the 17'. They have a tendancy to put one post between two lots in really weird places.
Princess Auto has a 50' 14/3 extension cord on sale for $27. And a 25' 12/3 for $20 but that one has a 3 outlet end.

IMO the 50' would serve your needs. I'd be tempted to get that, with 2 additional ends and cut it down to say 27' and 23' lengths. That would give you 17', 23', 27', 40', 44', 50' and 67' runs.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #13

Trailer: Ducky
Quote:
In most Ontario Provincial Parks, you are going to need more than the 17'. They have a tendancy to put one post between two lots in really weird places.
Princess Auto has a 50' 14/3 extension cord on sale for $27. And a 25' 12/3 for $20 but that one has a 3 outlet end.

IMO the 50' would serve your needs. I'd be tempted to get that, with 2 additional ends and cut it down to say 27' and 23' lengths. That would give you 17', 23', 27', 40', 44', 50' and 67' runs.

We camp in Ontario Provincial Parks all the time, the power posts are fitted with both the 50amp, 4 pole plug and 120v, 3 pole. Our tent trailer has a 4 pole plug (way overpowered ). We can plug directly to the power post or useing a 4 pole to 3 pole adapter we can use a 3 pole extension cord, which is usually the case, and as Roy said the power posts are usually more than 50' away. For my money adding the adapter with a 50' 3 pole extension cord (garden variety) is all you will need. The largest appliance we plug in is a 1500 watt electric heater.
nigel57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #14

Quote:
and as Roy said the power posts are usually more than 50' away.
Here's a heads up on a deal.

Got the new Princess auto flyer in the mail today. Next weeks sale has a 100' 12/3 SJTW heavy duty extension cord on sale for $75 plus exta ends are on sale for $1.99 ea.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM   #15

Registry
Hi Roy,
Thanks for all the help.I really appreciate it.I purchased the 50' /14 for $27.00.I think this will serve our purpose of having something on hand "just in case".Just wondering if you know if there is any place in Ontario that I can purchase LED bulbs?........Thanks again to everyone that responded....Pat.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi Roy,
Thanks for all the help.I really appreciate it.I purchased the 50' /14 for $27.00.I think this will serve our purpose of having something on hand "just in case".Just wondering if you know if there is any place in Ontario that I can purchase LED bulbs?........Thanks again to everyone that responded....Pat.
Sounds like you did good.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Just wondering if you know if there is any place in Ontario that I can purchase LED bulbs?........
You are welcome Pat. We got the MR16 LED bulb from a marine supply. I think that the RV and Marine are starting to carry LED bulbs and fixtures more often. Victory is a major marine name and they have over 60 LED items in their product listing. Funny thing is there are 3 or 4 marine places in Toronto, and not a single RV. Go figure?

There a couple of online places listed in the thread Experimenting with LED options. Having done a lot of ebay purchases with shipping from the US to Canada, I can give you an experienced opinion on shipping and handling charges for the places mentioned in the thread.

LEDwholesalers very expensive
V-LEDS average shipping with good price on multiple items
Superbright LED's ships at cost

Others here have recommended Autolumination in the past and their shipping is also very reasonable.

Where ever possible have things shipped USPS (mail) because the courriers will literaly gouge you on brokerage fees.

There are some marine places in Canada that you can order online from too.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:57 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I purchased mine out of the states. The company was good to deal with, it took about 14 days to arrive, and the information about this company originally came from the helpful people who frequent this site. I looked for companies in Canada but was unsucessful.

www.autolumination.com

Cheers,

Greg
Quote:
Hi Roy,
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I purchased mine out of the states. The company was good to deal with, it took about 14 days to arrive, and the information about this company originally came from the helpful people who frequent this site. I looked for companies in Canada but was unsucessful.

www.autolumination.com

Cheers,

Greg
Hi
I had previously checked out this site,but for the life of me I cannot figure where to find the bulbs I should order.Could you tell me what the page the bulbs I need are on?I want to replace all six bulbs,two over sink area,two over table and two over bunk area.Also are they willing to ship USPS to Canada?..Thanks,Pat.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #20

Trailer: Ducky
Quote:
Hi Roy,

I purchased one to try out at a NAPA auto supply store, it is a replacement lamp so has a bulb type end so you dont need a new fixture.
nigel57 is offline   Reply With Quote