12 Volt Speakers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I am looking for a good set of 12V DC amplified speakers, mainly to be used with my laptop and iPod on the road. The speakers in the laptop are not that great, or loud. It would also get use outside of the trailer and for other travel.

Ideally it would be great if it used 8 AA rechargeable batteries too, but that is not a deal breaker. Obviously a 110V adapter and a 12V plug would be preferred.

THESE Blaupunkt Velocity 2go 5 speakers sound great, but are extremely expensive ($400 USD MRSP). A bit of overkill for me. I would not mind paying $100 or so, if they are worth it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I am looking for a good set of 12V DC amplified speakers, mainly to be used with my laptop and iPod on the road. The speakers in the laptop are not that great, or loud. It would also get use outside of the trailer and for other travel.

Ideally it would be great if it used 8 AA rechargeable batteries too, but that is not a deal breaker. Obviously a 110V adapter and a 12V plug would be preferred.

THESE Blaupunkt Velocity 2go 5 speakers sound great, but are extremely expensive ($400 USD MRSP). A bit of overkill for me. I would not mind paying $100 or so, if they are worth it.
This is what I have, Jim, although I don't use them much anymore (not travelling).

12VDC wall wart powers the woofer and two midrange drivers.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We too have a set of these iPod speakers. They are O.K. BUT.... An iPod is NOT designed to pump out the volume (unless you power it THROUGH some other source. We drive our iPod (loaded with 72 hours of continuous non-repeted music) through an add on A.M/F.M./C.D. player. IT plays through a set speakers with seperate bass and treble speakers. Able to keep camping buddys awake all night long, but we respect peace n quiet so night time music is set so we can JUST hear it sitting outside our egg and NOT at the neighbours place!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #4

Registry
Morgan, those don't look too bad, kinda what I was thinking.

Doug, I am not really looking to drive the speakers real loud. But, you do have a good thought. Maybe a portable CD/radio with an input jack, that runs off 12V would be a good idea. I will look into that too. But, would this work for speakers for watching movies on my laptop?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Jim, I presume you own or have access to an iPod? If you add on speakers to an iPod, you'll soon see they cannot go very loud. Adding a power system to an iPod takes the iPod one step further. Loudness doesn't mean its ALWAYS cranked up, but having that option I feel is always nice. Volume sometimes brings out better quality sound as does the actual placement of the add on speakers. This system could easily be plugged into the laptop for use in movie watching OR gaming, sending/receiving instant (video) messaging too!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #6

Registry
Does anyone know of a portable stereo then, that would run off of 12V DC without having to use an inverter.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I have the older version of this
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file...=inmotion_im310

I got it from Sams Club.
http://www.alteclansing.com/index.php?file...id=inmotion_im7

This one I got it for 99 bucks. Outstanding sound and volume, when I was testing it out the kids came into the bedroom and wanted to know what it was that sounded so good. At the time it was rated better than Bose.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:

I su
hatchhanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #9

Registry
Pete, I was looking at all the offerings from Altec, and there seems to be some great ones. A couple have rechargeable batteries installed which would be nice. Even if the input voltage is lower then 12V, I imagine a step-down transformer could be easily got, making it easy to plug into the trailer.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
Quote:
... Even if the input voltage is lower then 12V, I imagine a step-down transformer could be easily got, making it easy to plug into the trailer.
Transformers only work on Alternating Current (AC), such as the 120 Volt shore power. The trailer battery is 12 Volts Direct Current (DC). Mixing them usually causes smoke and fire.

If the speaker set comes with a 12 Volt adapter (ie, plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet), you are OK.
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Transformers only work on Alternating Current (AC), such as the 120 Volt shore power. The trailer battery is 12 Volts Direct Current (DC). Mixing them usually causes smoke and fire.

If the speaker set comes with a 12 Volt adapter (ie, plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet), you are OK.
I meant to say converter. The silly thing is, is that I am a Power Systems Electrician and know lots about transformers. I have been out of the induestry for 15 years, and am getting old, so mess up my words.

With most of these devices the DC converter is built into the AC power cord, and has a DC output, usually 6-20V DC.

If the input of the unit is less then 12V DC you can then use a converter to step down the voltage.. There are some available with a few different outputs, and some with fixed outputs. You just have to have a barrel plug the right size to fit the input jack on the unit you are powering.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
You can use an auxiliary computer speaker system. The ones with a small subwoofer sound great. The easiest would be one of those that use a wall wart that puts out 12 volts, since this type could be powered directly by the 12 volt battery.

However, the types that use 115 vac can be used also with the additional purchase of an appropriately sized d.c. to a.c. inverter. I have one that puts out 400 watts that was less than 50 bucks about a year or so. It charges my shaver, toothbrush, cell phone and a table radio. But it would also power a small stereo or computer speaker set.

Apparently the modified sine wave that some of these put out can cause a problem with some applications, but I haven't had any problems with mine.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #13

Registry
Loren, I had thought about computer speakers, something along the lines Morgan posted, but since then have been thinking along the lines of an all in one unit speaker system for ease of use. Something easy to transport, and set up. At this time I am leaning towards something like what Altec offers.

I know an inverter would work with many AC products, I was just trying to avoid that if possible. I have one, but have had some performance issues with it, for the most part it trips out with the slightest drop in in the input voltage, which is inevitably going to happen with the trailer battery.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:44 AM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I haven't had mine drop out yet, but we haven't dry camped for more than a few days at a time and when we do use only a fluorescent light, small radio and computer fan on the composting toilet. Otherwise, we have been hooked up to external power.

One thing I'm aware of is that portable, battery operated radios are designed to be more power efficient than radios that can be plugged in. Even auto radios aren't designed to be too concerned with power usage.

I did put a watt-meter on our table radio, a Kloss Model 88, while operating. It takes less than an amp at 12 volts average. As you watch the meter it will fluctuate around .75 amps with peaks about twice that. I also checked a car radio and it was about the same at reasonable listening levels. So that might be a bench mark to run some battery life calculations.

I'm sure the Radio Shack portable I have that runs on 4 C size cells takes less and the amplifier in it certainly doesn't have the oomph of the Kloss or car radio. I've never checked it, though, for amp draw.

Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #15

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Quote:
Hello Jim, Here is a combination that sounds great and uses very little 12V DC juice. Sonic Impact amp from http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=300-958 (sometimes on sale for $59). Comes with 120V AC/ 12V DC power supply and patch cord for computer or Ipod. 12 VDC lighter plug power adapter available at Radio Shack (10 footer would allow use outside of trailer). Speakers.... Ebay! Klipsch KSB 1.1, mine cost $65 delivered. For portability all could be mounted on a thin piece of plywood? I have found this combination to be far superior to the little powered speakers I have listened to. Good Luck and happy listening, Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I have the Altec Lansing IM3c and use it all the time for camping. I just plug my Ipod into it, so I don't know about using it with a computer. But for the Ipod its just great, with real nice sound.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #17

Registry
Larry, thanks for that idea. I will explore it.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #18

Registry
Tim, I missed your post earlier, sorry. I have looked closed at a few of Altec's In Motion units with interest. They don't list the iM3c on their site, but I can find it online in lots of places. I will have a look at it.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:56 AM   #19

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Jim, I'm sure you would be happy with any of Atec's models. I had another model before this one, had trouble with it. I sent it after a phone call to Atec in Penn. , to have it repaired and they sent me a newer model brand new , and no charge at all.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote