120 volt wire connectors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
I need some advice on which type of connector to use to pigtail 120v wire when installing receptacles in my Little Bigfoot. I'm a little worried that standard twist connectors may loosen with the movement in an RV. Has anyone used copper crimping ferrules with insulated caps?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I have used the ferrules when joining solid wire to stranded, then insulate with heat-shrink tubing
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Yes.

Crimp it as tight as you can but only do it once because a second crimp loosens up the first crimp. This is right out of the installers book.

The best crimper is one that ratchets and does not release until it reaches the max crimp. Harbor Freight use to sell them for less than $20USD. This type of crimper allows you to relax and get a better grip if need be because of the ratchet function.

If you can not pull a single wire out of the crimp then it is a good crimp.

Once crimped, insert the clear cap over the crimp ring to the point it is LOCKED within the unit.

There is another connector where the bolt end is split and that is where you put the wires then add the nut and tighten. It does not have insulation so you are required to wrap it in tape really well.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Morning Carl,
I have always used wire nuts on my trailer connections that are inside and not soldered without any problems.
Just use a properly sized nut and some high quality Scotch #33 electrical tape. Wrap a few turns of tape
around the wires just below the nut, then up onto the nut and back to the wires with a couple of more turns.
The last two turns are put on firmly but do not stretch the tape here. Cut the tape and put the last couple
of turns on without stretching it. If you really want over kill, you can put a small wire tie around the wires
where the tape wrapping ends. This method has worked well for me without the tape coming unwrapped,
yet allowing the joint to be undone without cutting, crimping, etc.
Larry H

Click image for larger version

Name:	WireNut1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	28323
[attachment=33396:
WireNut3.jpg]
Click image for larger version

Name:	WireNut4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	28326
Attached Thumbnails
WireNut2.jpg   WireNut3.jpg  

Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Larry C Hanson is correct.
This is the best way and the cheapest.

Name:   post_13978_1274881461_thumb.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  2.4 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #6

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I have learnt over the years from several electricians that twisting the wires together before installing the wire nut marrett is alot of times done wrong and that it is better to not twist them and let the nut do it for you as they are designed to align and bite the wire best that way. If you twist the wire first in the wrong direction of the marrett it will ball up and may loosen with movement/handling or not bite at all. And remember check to make sure that you use the right sized connector with the right wire and follow the recommended number of connections. When done right thet marrett should not pull off.

then you can tape it like Larry describes.
Mike and Sarah K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft
Thank you everyone. Great advice!
Carl
Carl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The wire nuts in my Scamp don't have any tape around them. This is the way the factory did it. I've never had one loosen.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote