120V Receptacles Kicked Out - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
120V Receptacles Kicked Out

It has been an awful long time since I posted on this forum. I still have my 17 Bigfoot but I also have the 30 Bigfoot travel trailer.

I had a vacuum cleaner plugged in to the inside 120V receptacle in the 30 Bigfoot and it died. I checked the outside shore power breakers and the inside RV breakers and all seems okay. All other uses for 120 work i.e microwave, fridge, hot water. Fuses on the converter are okay. About half of the RV 120 receptacles work and the others don't so there are separate circuits they are on. I expect there is another 120 fuse or breaker somewhere but I have no idea where to look.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If the circuit is GFCI protected it's possible that the GFCI tripped.
It's likely that the vacuum cleaner motor caused the trip.
The type of motor employed in most vacuum cleaners are notorious for causing this problem
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
No GFCI on this circuit. I have isolated it down to an open hot but not able to locate. So far the circuit feeds two outlet receptacles and the fridge. It may also feed the hot water tank. Won't know that until tonight when I fill the water tank.
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
sounds like it's time to pull the receptacle out of the wall and look aat the hot connection. If it looks good test that wire there for ope circuit. If not live, go to where that particular wire connects and check there. Just keep tracing it back to where you find the problem.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Use a receptacle checker with a gfi triper button and check each unit. then disconnect the main power and on those receptacles check the connections on the back. Especially check and units that have wires just pushed in to the unit instead of tightened under the screws.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...sis-32907.html
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They are probably daisy chained to other plugs.
If you knew the order you would look at the last working plug as Steve suggested. As is you'll need to just start checking.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote