12v hookup - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #1
ICW

Name: Isaya
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
Manitoba
Registry
Smile 12v hookup

Hello,
New owner of a 1972 Boler and Iím playing around with the 12v power to run things. However, I donít see any way to connect a battery.

I, also, do not know how the wiring works - are interior plugs powered by both 12v and 110 depending whatís available? Is there a switch?

Any help would be awesome.
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Most RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICW View Post
Hello,
New owner of a 1972 Boler and I’m playing around with the 12v power to run things. However, I don’t see any way to connect a battery.

I, also, do not know how the wiring works - are interior plugs powered by both 12v and 110 depending what’s available? Is there a switch?

Most RVs have three electrical systems. The DOT required outside lighting and brakes (if equipped) powered from the T/V (if 7 pin), second the 12 volt DC for RV lighting and fans etc powered from the RV battery, the converter and the T/V (if 7 pin) , next the 120 Volt AC for the charging and air conditioning powered from the Camp site hook up.On a unit that old others may have removed or added many things. The battery on most is out front on the hitch. However, people like my late sister always used a campground and could see NO reason to have a battery.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Many of the old trailers did not require a battery. My 1977 Trillium never had a battery. Yet it had 12V lighting. The problem with no battery is you have to have shore power.

Myself, I do a lot of dry camping (no shore power). So I added a battery, and also replaced the original power center.

I have zero interest in owning a trailer that requires shore power. That eliminates most of the camping I do.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #4
ICW

Name: Isaya
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
Manitoba
Registry
Thanks

Thanks everyoneÖit seems to me itís been removed OR never had one.

Thrifty bill, we plan to dry camp a lot more than rely on shore power. Was that a hard process to add a battery and redo the power centre?

Thanks
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If most of your camping is dry camping, you could just install a battery (AGM or LiFePo4 inside or wet lead acid outside) and a 12 volt fuse panel. Include an inline main battery fuse on the positive battery cable close to the battery.

For battery charging options:

- 110 vac smart battery charger
- solar panel and solar charge controller
- charging wire from the tow vehicle
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Agree, if you rarely if ever have shore power, a simple 12V DC fuse panel, along with a smart charger, can make sense.

One like this that incorporates a negative bus bar is a nice option. Also takes up a lot less space than a power center. But if you ever want a 120V AC hookup with AC outlets, then a power center is the way to go.

And with a battery on the trailer tongue, portable solar hookup is easy.

Six circuits is more than enough for a 13 foot trailer. Heck, my Trillium originally came with ONE 12V DC circuit (inadequate in my opinion). I am currently using three, lights, fan, 12V outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Indic..._t1_B08NPMFBBW
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Trillium, 1982 15 foot, bought used in 1985
Alberta
Trillium 1982: How to connect the trailer and car batteries so both stay charged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICW View Post
Hello,
New owner of a 1972 Boler and Iím playing around with the 12v power to run things. However, I donít see any way to connect a battery.

I, also, do not know how the wiring works - are interior plugs powered by both 12v and 110 depending whatís available? Is there a switch?

Hope you get helpful answers. I need instructions/ HELP on how to connect the wires that come into the trailerís wiring network ( in a boxed off section of combo bunk and bench at the front of the trailer). The issue is that I have been told that you must not leave your trailer connected to your car/truck once you have stopped at your camping sight. If you do, the trailer lighting will drain you car/ truck battery before the sun rises.
We did not get an instruction booklet with the trailer. There seemingly wasnít a booklet.
Because the in- trailer battery needs to be charged, ... if you know how to ďdoĒ this, please give me some help or a reference to a reliable source for this issue.
Thanks!
Elwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:53 AM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Properly wired vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
The issue is that I have been told that you must not leave your trailer connected to your car/truck once you have stopped at your camping sight. If you do, the trailer lighting will drain you car/ truck battery before the sun rises.Thanks!
A properly wired tow vehicle disconnects the 12 volts to the RV when you stop the engine. If not you can add a relay to do this.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Black Series HQ19
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
Hope you get helpful answers. I need instructions/ HELP on how to connect the wires that come into the trailerís wiring network ( in a boxed off section of combo bunk and bench at the front of the trailer). The issue is that I have been told that you must not leave your trailer connected to your car/truck once you have stopped at your camping sight. If you do, the trailer lighting will drain you car/ truck battery before the sun rises.
We did not get an instruction booklet with the trailer. There seemingly wasnít a booklet.
Because the in- trailer battery needs to be charged, ... if you know how to ďdoĒ this, please give me some help or a reference to a reliable source for this issue.
Thanks!
If you need a simple way of charging a battery that is already in your trailer, simply go get an automotive style battery charger at Walmart. A six to ten amp unit will be fine for simple lighting or low demand. This will clip onto your battery terminals and plug in to a 120 volt outlet. No parts needed.

If you are concerned about running down the tow vehicle battery while parked overnight, simply unplug the trailer pigtail at the rear of the tow vehicle.

Newer tow vehicles disconnect power to the rear seven pin plug when the vehicle is off, or if the load begins to draw down the tow battery, but just to be sure, simply unplug.

If your trailer battery is dead, and has been sitting dead for a while, it is ruined and you might as well get a new one when you get the battery charger. Once home, your new charger can be left connected and plugged in, if you wish. Modern battery chargers will not hurt batteries, and batteries must be kept charged in order to survive. Also, if your battery is dead, the new charger will not charge it up. You can work around this problem by connecting a set of jumper cables from the tow to the house battery, and then connecting the new battery charger. Once it is charging, disconnect the jumper cables and let the charger take over.