13' Boler storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Name: Maggie
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13'
Ontario
13' Boler storage

I've always tent camped, and today I was going though my camping boxes, cleaning making lists of what I had/needed. I was going to put everything back in, but then I realized, "I've got some storage room in the boler". So what/how does everyone pack for while in transit? While camping? Where do you keep your things?

I'm thinking clothes would go in the closet.
Things for cooking in the top shelves above the sink.
The usual camping "stuff" like ropes, matches, frisbies, flashlights under the dinette seat.

Thoughts?
Yamaha_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Maggie,
I've wondered the same about my UHaul CT13. I think there is less room than in your Boler. For most stuff, I still keep it in what I call my "camp Box" in my tow vehicle. Where do you put "stuff"?? We all have "stuff"
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Ontario
I've never camped in a travel trailer before, I just bought it this past winter...before it was only tent camping .

Also, how much do things move around in a boler when driving normally? Meaning, could I put my clothes in the closet, and not have a heart attacked seeing everything all over the place when I first open it after the trip?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I don't find that things move much, but I also pack them so they won't shift. I usually put my clothes in the closet, along with towels, bathroom supplies, and any loose decorative items that I store for safety while traveling. Under the closet is another storage area (previously my propane furnace.) It holds my toolbox, awning stakes/ropes, extra shoes, electric heater, and fans. It's kind of my 'mudroom'
I keep my plates, silverware, cups in the cabinet above the stove/sink. Everything is pretty much unbreakable in there. My icebox is used for 'pantry items' (bread, sugar, salt/pepper, coffee, etc) and my coffee pot. I use regular coolers to store my cold food.
The area directly under the sink has a plastic shelf and box system that holds 'utility room' things such as bug spray, rags, dishsoap, bungee cords, etc. Under the front seat near the door (curb side of trailer) is the rest of my kitchen (pans, toaster, plastic bags, water jug, etc). I also have a plastic 3 drawer unit that I got at Walmart for more food storage. I sit it on the couch next to the closet, or on the floor under my table.
The areas by my table are not used for 'storage', since one has the water tank, the back one has the battery, and the other side is the inverter.
My set-up box rides on the floor and has jacks, leveling blocks, tire chucks, etc. I also have another small milk crate with my electrical cord. If I'm going to be hooking up directly to water, it will also have my hose. (otherwise, the hose is in the front storage area on the street side of trailer, which also has my bocce ball set an a lawn dart game). My Uhaul did not come with finished inserts for any of the storage compartments, which bummed me out originally, until I realized that it gave me extra room. My next goal is to put doors on the storage areas so I don't have to lift up cushions to access them.
If something is breakable, I'll wrap it lightly in something else (such as a towel) and pack it so it doesn't move. I tuck my radio, and small table lamp into the pillows on my seats when travelling. My outside tables/chairs stand on edge (like filing books) under my table which I keep in the 'up' position. Coolers go on the floor, or they ride in my car.
So far, so good for me, I have not opened the door to chaos yet!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
YG:

Everybody is different. So much depends on what you bring along, what storage is in your trailer, and what you tow with. We have a closet, but it has the microwave and dishes in it. We tow with a Eurovan, so we can carry our clothes in that. We don't use an awning; we use a FirstUp that goes in the trailer, along with coffeepot, portapotty, stabilizers, two sets of Walmart drawers, the chairs, tables, and TV/DVR. We usually bring our folding bikes and put those in the trailer, although sometimes, if we don't take my scooter, we carry them in the Eurovan.

Something to do is go to a rally and see how people store things. If you don't use your closet for clothes, our previous Burro had a shoe storage thing (soft-sided) that you can buy at Walmart, acting as shelves in the closet. Many people put shelves in the closet.

Walk your big-box stores. Things that are not necessarily designed for camping might pop out as useful.

Good luck!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Heavy stuff nearer the floor, lighter stuff nearer the ceiling! I no longer have a hanging closet, but a shelved closet. Wonderful
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

Ontario
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Does anyone use a sleeping bag, or just comforters/blankets? I've always tent camped with a sleeping bag, but I'm thinking it will be less drafty in a boler.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #8

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Per info here, I got a rubbermaid type tub to corral the "outside" stuff - leveling jacks, wheel chocks, water connection hose, etc - and that rides in the trailer during transit but gets stuck underneath the door, out of the way, once we're at the campsite.

I keep dishware and silverware/utensils in the cabinet over the kitchenette. Food and cookware in the tall cabinet. Other utility stuff is stuffed in the smaller cabinet over the wheel well - citronella candle, tablecloth, bug net for the door, fire extinquisher, mini-broom, duct tape, that sort of stuff.

I keep clothes in a cute wicker laundry basket I got at Target. It comes into the house with me at the end of the trip, I do the laundry, and I re-pack it for the next trip and I keep that under the bed (I keep my rear dinette down all the time as a bed).

I've gotten my system down so I only have to load up clothes, food, and camera gear before each trip from the house. I leave coffee and tea stuff in there as well as some basics like olive oil and balsamic vinegar so making a salad just means remembering to bring the fresh veggies/fruits, and throwing whatever other food I want into the cooler and the canvas bag appointed for the job.

Oh, and on the bedding question, I have been leaving my bed made up with sheets and a couple of lightweight fleece blankets which has been entirely adequate for summer camping around here. Take home and wash as needed. I seem to be able to go a couple of trips between washes, or until I take my husband along and he manages to track mud into the bed - whichever comes soonest.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler