13 foot actual / real weight specifications - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot 5th Wheel / 1995 Silverado side step short box (Sweet Pea and The Wookie)
Registry
Thelma and I are new members who wil be purchasing a 13 foot class unit (in search order of priority: Trillium, Scamp, Casita, Boler). The topic for feedback is "real weight specifictions" (of course before adding gear, fluids, bikes, etc). Dry weight data from those of you veterans to this great site that can help us sort this out through the fog of history. Our tow vehicle is a Saturn Vue 2007 Hybrid rated at 1500 pounds by GM. We cannot mess this up as our new vehicle warantee is at stake so your input is highly valued and much appreciated. Once we get past this, we look forward to seeing you on the road. Thanks, Denis & Thelma

Denis Ferkany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
I just weighed my 13 ft trillium a couple of weeks ago on a freshly calibrated government scale. with no gear in it, it was 1212 lbs or 550 kgs
Lee Trenholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Hmmm - to give you an idea--- all I have is loaded weight-- ready to go down the road. Our Scamp scales in at 1560# w/ no water (or water tank as far as goes- removed and stored it) no battery, one 5 gal propane tank. Clothes, bedding, grub, ice chest with food were in also. This was unhooked from El Camino and just the Scamp on the scale. Hope this helps. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Unhappy

Hi,
Are you asking for real weights regarding brands, mostly the ones you mentioned?

I am surprised GM even specifies a tow limit for a hybrid...I do not have any of these mentioned trailers, but my camping partner does (another couple) They have a 13 foot Scamp which when loaded with real life stuff weighs in at 1730 lbs, My rig is a 71 Astro 10' a clone of the Compact jr, Campster, or Hunter I family, I have had added a furnace, 3 way fridge, extra water tanks, external shower with water heater, loaded with real life stuff I tip scales @ 1470 lbs. My dry weight is 890 lbs and the Scamps dry weight is 1320 lbs...I will throw in my stats in hopes that with others it will give you more loaded and unloaded stats to get an average of what a trailer takes on when you move in and use it. Perhaps others will follow my post and help this way too.

Here is my issue with GM, they are not merciful, you can claim its made of balsa wood, tow only down hill with a tail wind and all the dealership will see is the tow hitch...Your honesty is not in question when you buy the vehical but I would shudder to think how you are going to prove any hitch weight to GM for an expensive warrenty repair on a hybrid.

Other than that... WELCOME.... I do hope to see everyone one day on this board eventually!!

Harry
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My 91S13 weighed about 1,700 lbs packed for the road with all my full-timing stuf. I didn't have fridge, furnace, a/c, converter or water heater. I did have LP heater, battery, spare tire, small LP tank.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
My 1976 13' Boler with fridge, furnace, battery,stove, no brakes,and 3500 lb axle weighs in at 1450 lbs. dry
kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Escape B / RAV4 (19 ft74 13 ft Boler for sale)
Hi,
I'm a newbie, planning on driving just north of Toronto June 11th to
pick up my "new" 13" Boler.
My brother found it for me, and assures me my Honda CRV can haul it, as he hauled his Boler with a Chevette, no problem, 20 yrs ago.
The Boler's registration wt says 440 kg. Honda says my '99 CRV can haul 1000lb. I had the transmission cooler/tow package added last month. It should be okay, but all your numbers are making me nervous.
Sure hope I won't have to buy a new tow....
I'm still excited..
Deb H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
You can likely haul it, but you are going to be on the edge of your limits. The stated weight is a fiction and a scale will prove that. You'll want brakes also.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
You can likely haul it, but you are going to be on the edge of your limits. The stated weight is a fiction and a scale will prove that. You'll want brakes also.
Amen to that! Any numbers other than loaded scale weight are useless and meaningless. I would actually be curious to put a trailer on a scale some day and start pulling things out of it until it reached the stated weight. I bet there would be much less left than anyone could ever have imagined, if it ever reached it, that is. Stop believing numbers and family members and start weighing. At least you will know exactly what you're dealing with.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My previous 2004 Trillium with toilet fully loaded with water and all things to camp with came in at a little over 1900lbs. I seriously believe in a margin of safety.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium
I've got a 13ft Casita with all options -bath, microwave, etc. Loaded it weighs 2000 lbs.

Don
d_wildemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Send a message via AIM to Paul Kaplan Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Kaplan
Quote:
Thelma and I are new members who wil be purchasing a 13 foot class unit (in search order of priority: Trillium, Scamp, Casita, Boler). The topic for feedback is "real weight specifictions" (of course before adding gear, fluids, bikes, etc). Dry weight data from those of you veterans to this great site that can help us sort this out through the fog of history. Our tow vehicle is a Saturn Vue 2007 Hybrid rated at 1500 pounds by GM. We cannot mess this up as our new vehicle warantee is at stake so your input is highly valued and much appreciated. Once we get past this, we look forward to seeing you on the road. Thanks, Denis & Thelma
How did things work out?
Paul Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
My 74' 13 foot Boler, ready for travel, scales in at about same as Kevin.. 1450 lbs. ....... I carry the trailer spare tire in my truck and don`t have a furnace....have battery and one #20 propane bottle........scale trailer and tow vehicle .....as mentioned earlier, don`t guess....I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a 1.8 engine that is rated to tow 2000 lbs. with brakes, but I wouldn`t think about towing with it......although some one here has been towing with a Corolla......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I would actually be curious to put a trailer on a scale some day and start pulling things out of it until it reached the stated weight. I bet there would be much less left than anyone could ever have imagined, if it ever reached it, that is.
I did that with my Fiber Stream 16'.
The sales brochure stated a total dry weight of [b]1760 Lbs. I emptied the trailer of all of my camping stuff. Then I removed both propane tanks, the Battery, the spare tire, even the Microwave Oven and TV/VCR (which were bolted down). I did not remove the cushions, the 10' Carefree Fiesta awning, or any installed appliances, and the trailer still weighed [b]2000 Lbs.

But this post is about 13' trailers...
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I drive down to the local cement factory at the bottom of my hill that has a truck scale and weigh it periodically cause i keep adding stuff...helps to keep an eye on it just to remind me to keep it light.
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #16

Name: Sebastien
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Quebec
Trillium Jubilee

My 1977 15' trillium jubilee with fridge, furnace, battery,stove, spare tire, one propane tank, bike rack (no bike) and few luggage weighs in at 1900 lbs.
seb_mcnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
So how did it go? Which one did you choose? Not only is your warranty expired , but they don't even make Saturns anymore!
The lesson here is to choose the fiberglass trailer that you like...
Tow vehicles come and go, but FIBERGLASS IS FOREVER!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #18

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So how did it go? Which one did you choose? Not only is your warranty expired , but they don't even make Saturns anymore!
The lesson here is to choose the fiberglass trailer that you like...
Tow vehicles come and go, but FIBERGLASS IS FOREVER!
Very well put Floyd. Sounds like you purchase the cart before the horse?
We are still shopping and dealing with the fact that we have a 2011 Lexus CT200h (hybrid) that would not be rated to pull anything, and a 2009 Honda Element (rated to tow 1500#). Our thoughts are leading us to something bigger like the Escape 19' or ParkLiner, just so many choices.

We will be looking at the 6cyl Rav4 and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Very well put Floyd. Sounds like you purchase the cart before the horse?
We are still shopping and dealing with the fact that we have a 2011 Lexus CT200h (hybrid) that would not be rated to pull anything, and a 2009 Honda Element (rated to tow 1500#). Our thoughts are leading us to something bigger like the Escape 19' or ParkLiner, just so many choices.

We will be looking at the 6cyl Rav4 and the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited today.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Lew
Actually we had our Ranger for years before we bought our 2004 Scamp, but our Ford Escape was bought with the Scamp in mind. While you are at the Jeep dealer , check out the 2012 Liberty before they are all gone.
The Parkliner is only 15 ft and is much more towable than a 19 Escape. Properly equipped, the Liberty would handle either.
Do yourself a favor and check out the new Explorer (for the 19 Escape)while you are out and about, (or the new Ford Escape for the Parkliner).
Remember that if you're writing the check, you should buy the car for YOU and not for the neighbors!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #20

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
Thank you, Floyd for the info on the Liberty and Explorer. I did check out the Explorer, but not the new Escape (none on the lot). As for the Liberty, I missed your last post until this evening and only drove the Wrangler this morning. BTW....I have owned a few Wranglers and I was completely surprised on how well the Jeep drove, the power, the shifting....it is nothing like my most recent Wrangler. There is just something about having that roof off. What a stress reliever!
We will be making another trip down to the dealer sometime in late Sept, and I'll take a look at the Liberty at that time.
Again, thank you!
Lew
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight