13' Scamp is to small for us - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #21

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:maybe look around for a 21' Bigfoot trailer lots of room in one of these?
Stude
:damn I keep forgetting about that Escape and he Armidillo's bouth built in BC along with the Bigfoot. So there are the 3 best trailers built in B.C. Canada and with your dollar being worth 30cents more than ours might be the way to go?
Someone missed a Escape located in Ashcroft was asking 14,500.00 now not on CL anymore. But there are a couple of 17' Bolars up here for sale asking prices of $10,500 for one of them and the other $11,500.00 they are both on CL>
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
When we started looking for FG trailers we didn't think we needed larger than a 13 and only considered ease of pull. When shopping we came across a guy selling both a 13 and a 16 Scamp and I said we would be happy with either one. He said you better come take a look before saying that, and I was like why? He was far away so we didn't see them. During hunt we camped next to a Scamp 13 and owners allowed us a tour. Within seconds we knew we needed bigger so grabbed a Scamp 16 and loved it for a few years. Over time we were annoyed by the 48 inch bed so Upgraded to a Casita 17.

Someone made comment that Casita's are better than Scamps. We had zero problems with our Scamp and I can't say that about the Casita. I would not say better but maybe better designed. The Scamp bed is too small and the wheels are too centered. When we had a full water tank and a couple bikes hanging on the back it would sway really bad on the highway. The toilet was a glorified porta-potty mounted a mile high over shower basin, hard to get up on. The Casita toilet is much better. The Scamp had no step to get out so it felt like you were jumping out of an airplane (the cool door even made it look that way). The dinette and beds were a whole step up off the floor which wasn't bad but the flat Casita floor feels better. But, hardware and other things, Scamp was right up there and better in some respects.

Scamp really needs to re-engineer their 40 year old design. Casita obviously took their design and improved it a long time ago. Time for Scamp to do the same. And when buying something you should always see whatever it is in person. Nothing could prepare you for the actual feel you get especially with campers.
Our Scamp has a 54" bed, yours had a 44" bed (not a 48"assuming it was a standard) Of course ours is a 13, so no problem with the step and since we don't carry livestock we don't need a larger trailer.
Both the Scamp13 and 16 are well balanced trailers when properly loaded.
Sealand is hardly a glorified portapotti. The step is a factory option and an easy add on. As you say the door is cool on the Scamp and adequate but not quite as functional as the Casita17. The Casita is a nice trailer but even they only like their 17 footer. I assume your Casita is a 17 and a better fit for you.
If you were taller and more agile you might like the higher ceiling and wider aisle on the Scamp.
These are both great trailers with nuances which draw clientele with various needs and preferences which crossover.
A point which you made well.
I personally prefer the Scamp13 and regret the loss of the Patriot.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I'm sure we all feel for these folks who bought a 13' and found it too small. But others on here said their 16' or 17' was small, so a lot of it is just preference, or experience. I think the bottom line is to visit and talk to lots of owners before you buy, and go to a rally if possible. Rallies are full of fun folks eager to show the pros and cons of their trailers. And second most important is to not get in a hurry; buy used and you won't be hurt so much when you sell in months , or years. With fb trailer prices going up you might even come out even, or profit. Best of luck to all who own a 13' Scamp; ours is 25 yrs old, looks new and works pretty well for 2 moderate sized Adults and a small dog. Well, one Adult woman, and man ! (LOL) BTW, I took my Scamp on a tiny tour to Camper World and a lock shop this week , and three people wanted to look in it ! Happy Trails to You ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Scamp had the ideal opportunity to implement an upgrade in design when their factory burned down and they had to retool and apparently did not change the design so I think this is what they will be manufacturing for years to come.
Is it safe to assume that an upgrade in design would be that Scamp buyers would simply be stuck with an Escape with a different name on it? Would we then be forced to buy some replication of a Toyota truck to pull it with?
I have approved , and even submitted input in some cases, of the many changes and improvements made by Scamp in recent years. I like the product as is while welcoming constant improvement.
I also appreciate a market which allows for diversity over conformity.

I could have any travel trailer which I chose. I have seen everything on the market. I love them all. I made an informed choice and have not regretted it.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:57 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
To be fair Floyd , being " stuck " with an Escape under any label is far from being the worst thing in the world. Yet Escape recently updated their trailers and they are having " new model issues " just like the automakers.

No trailer brand is without its issues but Scamp and for good reason has decided not to make changes just for the sake of changing .
Not everyone wants or can afford a $40 to 50 K fiberglass trailer and Scamp allows them to enter the FG family with a good trailer at a fair price.
I have a Casita yet I feel no need to bad mouth Scamp or Escape so I feel better about my decision.

As far as the Toyota truck , replica or not , I won't be going there.
If that becomes my only choice , then my towing days are over.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To be fair Floyd , being " stuck " with an Escape under any label is far from being the worst thing in the world. Yet Escape recently updated their trailers and they are having " new model issues " just like the automakers.

No trailer brand is without its issues but Scamp and for good reason has decided not to make changes just for the sake of changing .
Not everyone wants or can afford a $40 to 50 K fiberglass trailer and Scamp allows them to enter the FG family with a good trailer at a fair price.
I have a Casita yet I feel no need to bad mouth Scamp or Escape so I feel better about my decision.

My point exactly!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #27

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
When we first started looking for a trailer we got the best advice from someone on Airforums (yes we were considering Airstreams) they said 'find the trailer that you like and then get the vehicle that will tow it otherwise you'll never be happy'). Great advice! Not long afterward a Scamp pulled into our campground. We had never seen a fiberglass trailer (this was in 2003). We started looking and ended up with a Casita FD, loved that little trailer until we retired and started staying out and planning longer trips. Now we love the Escape! Luckily we originally got a bigger TV than we needed for the Casita. Have fun looking, someone will love that little 13. Find the trailer that you want and then get the TV.
Happy Trails!
Kathie

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #28
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Moderator's note: the "too small Scamp 13" has been sold. Please don't inquire of the OP about buying.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

Scamp could build on their fine design. For example, convert the wood in their deluxe models to fiberglass cabinets like their base models. A second option would be a somewhat larger trailer, say 18 foot, making the front dinette in the deluxe model larger. It would make their units into a "budget" Oliver, and give it advantages over Escape. They could also mold in some wood on the interior of the trailer and eliminate rivets.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Scamp could build on their fine design. For example, convert the wood in their deluxe models to fiberglass cabinets like their base models. A second option would be a somewhat larger trailer, say 18 foot, making the front dinette in the deluxe model larger. It would make their units into a "budget" Oliver, and give it advantages over Escape. They could also mold in some wood on the interior of the trailer and eliminate rivets.
Since fiberglass cabinetry is provided in the Standard, why would you want to deprive buyers of the option of the finest interior in the industry?

The obsession with ever increasing size is puzzling. Why force buyers into ever larger tow vehicles, taking all the pleasure out of driving?
Would you buy an "improved" 12 passenger SUV Camaro? (Canyonero)

Scamp already has advantages over the Escape by offering a 13 ft trailer with all the amenities available in an efficient and towable package.

There are plenty of large trailers and large TVs available without the need to force conformity on those who choose from a shrinking pool of small trailers.
If you want oversize buy an Expedition and an Oliver. I prefer a Ranger and a Scamp13D

Despite the persistent myths promulgated here, through the hull fasteners have proven to be a reliable and sturdy form of construction.
BTW...The wood interiors are not riveted in place.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 AM   #31

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Because deluxe model has the option of a front dinette and a larger bed than the base model.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Because deluxe model has the option of a front dinette and a larger bed than the base model.
And some other nice things,...so buy the Deluxe!

The larger bed is available on the 13Standard. The front dinette is a simple aftermarket mod.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #33

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Bought a brand new scamp 13. I figured it would be too small but my wife and I are limited to weekends for another year or 5

I figured I could tow it easy with my current car, it has a shower and a potty and from what I could tell they are very easy to sell. Especially in Florida!

It is perfect for one or 2 nights and we plan to upgrade sooner rather than later.

You can tow more and with less and with decent fuel economy by driving slow. Just select avoid highways and keep it under 50 and you will be amazed at the fuel economy you get which is generally lost to 'parasitic drag' that increases as the square of your velocity (former corporate pilot chiming in here ) and the drive time difference isn't all that much.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 AM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Scamp had the ideal opportunity to implement an upgrade in design when their factory burned down and they had to retool and apparently did not change the design so I think this is what they will be manufacturing for years to come.
I think the dimensions changed a bit post fire. Bed is longer (width of trailer increased) and maybe inside height also. Can't swear to both of these changes but am pretty sure the post fire models have a longer bed.

At some point they moved the AC to the roof as an option, now the roof support for AC is built in to all of them so AC can be added post manufacture.

Some additional floor plans, notably the side dinette, intended to accommodate retired couples who want to leave the bed set up all the time and don't have children eating that require more than two person dining table.

Of course the windows have changed, and some amenities such as wired for TV, overhead storage or screen door have been added.

But nope, Scamp is pretty much a scamp, utilitarian & functional. Changes are investment, has a cost to the consumer, Scamp is aiming for a market price point entirely different than Escape. Same as Ford and Cadillac have a different market segment so different approach to making the product.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #35

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
While talking about Escape's growing pains and the introduction of all new models this year, it should be noted that as a result of some early build issues, the owner of Escape, Reace, is now on a mother of all road trips. He is circling the US and going to each new owner of an Escape 21 with a problem and fixing it, right at their home or other meeting place. First class service from a first class company.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While talking about Escape's growing pains and the introduction of all new models this year, it should be noted that as a result of some early build issues, the owner of Escape, Reace, is now on a mother of all road trips. He is circling the US and going to each new owner of an Escape 21 with a problem and fixing it, right at their home or other meeting place. First class service from a first class company.
But Jim, I'm sure both Scamp and Casita would do the same thing......
Well, maybe not. One of them scheduled warranty repair work for me and when I showed up on the appointed day, I was asked why I was there.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When talking about Escape this is called "first class service from a first class company".

If it were Scamp the headline would be... "manufacturing defects necessitate extensive road trip to repair faulty trailers".
Old 06-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #38

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When talking about Escape this is called "first class service from a first class company".

If it were Scamp the headline would be... "manufacturing defects necessitate extensive road trip to repair faulty trailers".
Yes, I did have a bit of a time convincing Kent Eveland that over 1,300 miles ONE WAY was a bit too far for me to come for warranty work.

But I do wonder if this is way for Reace to take an extended cross country trip for enjoyment but also write it off as a business expense. I know nothing about how it works north of the border but in the states I would have no doubt it would be a business expense vacation. Maybe one of the Evelands will introduce a manufacturing defect that will require them to come out and fix it, while also enjoying all the sights and delights of an extended trip across the country. Now where is that tongue-in-cheek emoticon?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Floyd, I get it. You like 'em small. That is super. There's alot to be said for the towability and compactness of a 13 foot trailer - it's kind of the quintessential egg. If it's just me, I'd be perfectly happy with it. But everyone has different needs, and thank God there are many manufacturers nowadays to accommodate all of them. So why the constant digs on Escapes? Escape owners for the most part are extremely satisfied with their trailer, including myself - just as you are happy with your Scamp. This is not a zero sum game with only one right answer.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #40

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Yes, I did have a bit of a time convincing Kent Eveland that over 1,300 miles ONE WAY was a bit too far for me to come for warranty work.

But I do wonder if this is way for Reace to take an extended cross country trip for enjoyment but also write it off as a business expense. I know nothing about how it works north of the border but in the states I would have no doubt it would be a business expense vacation. Maybe one of the Evelands will introduce a manufacturing defect that will require them to come out and fix it, while also enjoying all the sights and delights of an extended trip across the country. Now where is that tongue-in-cheek emoticon?
Too bad Reace cannot make it into a vacation. He probably figures that the trip is very long already. He has been on the road since maybe a week ago and he has fixed trailers in at least WA, OR, CA, AZ (where it was about 115 F) NM and now probably CO, and Texas coming up this week. Not exactly seeing the sights.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp