13' Scamp is to small for us - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Floyd, I get it. You like 'em small. That is super. There's alot to be said for the towability and compactness of a 13 foot trailer - it's kind of the quintessential egg. If it's just me, I'd be perfectly happy with it. But everyone has different needs, and thank God there are many manufacturers nowadays to accommodate all of them. So why the constant digs on Escapes? Escape owners for the most part are extremely satisfied with their trailer, including myself - just as you are happy with your Scamp. This is not a zero sum game with only one right answer.
That is some people on a lot of things.

And, by the way, our 21' IS a small trailer just as your 19'. This is kind of like the camping vs. RVing, "true campers" stuff that we sometimes hear about.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,827
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Floyd, I get it. You like 'em small. That is super. There's alot to be said for the towability and compactness of a 13 foot trailer - it's kind of the quintessential egg. If it's just me, I'd be perfectly happy with it. But everyone has different needs, and thank God there are many manufacturers nowadays to accommodate all of them. So why the constant digs on Escapes? Escape owners for the most part are extremely satisfied with their trailer, including myself - just as you are happy with your Scamp. This is not a zero sum game with only one right answer.
There have been no digs on Escapes to my knowledge, not from me, or anyone else for that matter. Quite the opposite in fact, it is a fine product which has changed in response to its perceived market niche, and it enjoys an almost Toyotaish image, pretty much across the board and has been treated more than fairly on this forum.
In fact.... you have just made a couple of points very well that I have made many times. (highlighted above)
The only problem is that they were made in erroneous digression to the point I was making, which had nothing whatsoever to do with size preference but rather general bias in response to brand.
My example was merely an hypothetical to illustrate a point which I ask no one to corroborate.
That was...
Some have their reputations supported in the face of adversity, while others suffer defamation.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #43
Administrator
 
Mary F's Avatar
 
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Posts: 10,542
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
And, by the way, our 21' IS a small trailer just as your 19'. This is kind of like the camping vs. RVing, "true campers" stuff that we sometimes hear about.
Yep, our 21' seems huge compared to our old 17' Casita (especially on the inside), but park the 21 in a campground and it still looks pretty small...Although I wouldn't pull it over Independence Pass (Colorado) like we did the Casita...and the campsite at Grand Teton probably is too small for the 21' Escape.

Still we are all more alike than different and that's one of the things that keeps this site interesting.
__________________
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
________________________________
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
Too bad Reace cannot make it into a vacation. He probably figures that the trip is very long already. He has been on the road since maybe a week ago and he has fixed trailers in at least WA, OR, CA, AZ (where it was about 115 F) NM and now probably CO, and Texas coming up this week. Not exactly seeing the sights.
One should recognize the fact that the reason the Owner of ETI is running all over the country making repairs is that ETI built a defective trailer. When my truck had a factory recall I did not feel sorry for my vehicle's manufacturerer nor did I send them a thank you card for fixing their mistake.
When I purchased my Scamp I did not expect to get an Oliver.
What I did get was a reliable trailer that met my expectations and served me well.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 807
A "defective trailer." Our 21' needs no such fix as most Escape 21s or most models of Escape. He is out to fix a few trailers, not thousands of Escapes. But trailers do have hundreds of items in them and everyone has bad parts or appliances or whatever in theirs, no matter the manufacturer.

When you have the manufacturer going to fix something in person and across the country, well, unheard of. I know everyone can't have an Escape but glad we do. As I recall, you wanted one. If you still do, I hope you do get one. There must be a reason that you are still busy on the Escape forum.

We love ours and the manufacturer is the best. Of course, many think the same about their trailers and we can all be glad of what we have. I think the knocks are a mark that Escape is doing so well and that just irks some people, for whatever reason.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,298
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
There have been no digs on Escapes to my knowledge, not from me, or anyone else for that matter.
Well, several of the comments read like criticisms to me. I guess we let people make up their own mind.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Yep, our 21' seems huge compared to our old 17' Casita (especially on the inside), but park the 21 in a campground and it still looks pretty small...Although I wouldn't pull it over Independence Pass (Colorado) like we did the Casita...and the campsite at Grand Teton probably is too small for the 21' Escape.

Still we are all more alike than different and that's one of the things that keeps this site interesting.
Mary, Grand Teton does not have sites big enough for a 21'? Or do you just mean a particular site that you were in? I expect that there would be private campgrounds outside.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:10 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathi View Post
A "defective trailer." Our 21' needs no such fix as most Escape 21s or most models of Escape. He is out to fix a few trailers, not thousands of Escapes. But trailers do have hundreds of items in them and everyone has bad parts or appliances or whatever in theirs, no matter the manufacturer.

When you have the manufacturer going to fix something in person and across the country, well, unheard of. I know everyone can't have an Escape but glad we do. As I recall, you wanted one. If you still do, I hope you do get one. There must be a reason that you are still busy on the Escape forum.

We love ours and the manufacturer is the best. Of course, many think the same about their trailers and we can all be glad of what we have. I think the knocks are a mark that Escape is doing so well and that just irks some people, for whatever reason.
As soon as ETI resolves the myriad of issues with their newly developed 21 ft trailer , we may consider purchasing an Escape.
I am perfectly content to let my money sit in the bank and wait for ETI to get its' act together , which from appearances could be a rather lengthy period of time.
I enjoy the discussions on the Escape forum but I do not hold the Escape trailer in the same esteem as most Escape forum members. If Scamp or Casita built a larger trailer (21 to 24 ft) my bank account would probably already have taken a hit.
We are fast approaching 70 years of age and when that goal is achieved the prospect of buying a new travel trailer will greatly diminish.
Our Casita has served us well and we will continue to travel and camp with our Casita for the foreseeable future . Whether an Escape is in our future is up to Escape , time will tell.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,298
Registry
I know of 3 issues, but I wouldn't call them a myriad - the exterior fridge vent (manufacturers fault), the tabs on the electric awning (manufacturers fault), and the flaw in the hot water line to the bathroom sink (Escape's fault). All 3 of which by the way that Reace is correcting himself in person, and have already been corrected on the current ones leaving the factory.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Posts: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I know of 3 issues, but I wouldn't call them a myriad - the exterior fridge vent (manufacturers fault), the tabs on the electric awning (manufacturers fault), and the flaw in the hot water line to the bathroom sink (Escape's fault). All 3 of which by the way that Reace is correcting himself in person, and have already been corrected on the current ones leaving the factory.
Wow, from the posts it sounded like a long punch list but just three and only one from Escape. I'd give Reace a big for coming to you for the fixes and write it off as a business trip too....it is.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,646
Registry
All of these comments about a business expense for a repair trip just shows that most people do not understand the tax code nor what ordinary and necessary means in the business world. After 38 years I'm still learning. But that has little to do with our campers.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #52
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,881
Not too small for us

Originally we ordered a 15' Escape only to cancel when we couldn't get what we wanted. We bought a 13' Trillium that turned out to be full of issues we fixed ourselves. Other than the small bed, the trailer is perfect for our needs. There is nothing currently being made that would suit us better. So far we have logged over 60k miles and been to all the 48 states but one. Somehow we missed Nevada. The longest we have been out is 30 days. We get homesick. Having a larger trailer would not have made our trips any more enjoyable. In fact having the small trailer has been to our advantage like when the camp ground is full but they fit us in. Maybe it's the cute factor.

My biggest gripe is having to continually repair or replace the poor quality rv components (light fixtures, hinges, appliances, etc. ) that come on these trailers. It seems there is always something needs fixing. But then we all need a hobby.

Time to go camping. Enjoy what you've got and be thankful you've got it. I am. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All of these comments about a business expense for a repair trip just shows that most people do not understand the tax code nor what ordinary and necessary means in the business world....
And it shows that at least one person missed the reference to a needed tongue-in-cheek emoticon. I at least try to leave some clues when I am not being totally serious.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Posts: 4,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
...
My biggest gripe is having to continually repair or replace the poor quality RV components (light fixtures, hinges, appliances, etc. ) that come on these trailers. It seems there is always something needs fixing. But then we all need a hobby...
Same here, and I think with just about all campers. I have posted a lot about my experiences but here is one more previously not mentioned one that illustrates your point...

Eighteen month old Scamp stored outdoors in the Southeast US with the dumps facing south (getting a good amount of sun). One of the sewer pipe caps broke with the tabs both of them basically tuning to powder. Even being stored so its exposed to a fair amount of UV light, I would not expect this plastic to fully disintegrate in only 18 months.

It a minor thing, but its added to 50 other minor things. Everything is cheap, cheap, cheap. The hardware rusts, the light covers fall off, etc...
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:22 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,646
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And it shows that at least one person missed the reference to a needed tongue-in-cheek emoticon. I at least try to leave some clues when I am not being totally serious.
Missed them, I had not had my morning coffee yet.....
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,827
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Well, several of the comments read like criticisms to me. I guess we let people make up their own mind.
I'm sure that you are sophisticated enough to discern the difference between a dig and a criticism.... So which is that?(Seems pretty clear to me)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #57
Senior Member
 
rbryan's Avatar
 
Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Posts: 1,298
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm sure that you are sophisticated enough to discern the difference between a dig and a criticism.... So which is that?tu(Seems pretty clear to me)
This isnt helpful. I'm out.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm sure that you are sophisticated enough to discern the difference between a dig and a criticism.... So which is that?(Seems pretty clear to me)
I frequent this forum to learn and to get honest opinions about the good and bad concerning various makes of FG trailers .
I own a Casita and when members post their opinion or state their problems with a Casita , I do not look at it as a DIG or criticism but only as a statement of the facts as they see them.
All FG trailers have issues , some common to all trailer and some that apply only to that particular trailer.
I have different expectations from a $60 K Oliver than from a $13 K Scamp . IMHO , when a forum becomes a cheerleading squad for one brand of trailer its' value is diminished .
I own a Casita and a Ram truck , feel free to criticize them as you see fit . I value the information and will learn from it .
Scamp is not as bad as some lead us to believe and the high buck FG trailers are not as good as we are lead to believe.
Brand loyalty often leads to blindly overlooking or making excuses for faults with a product .
Any brand of FG trailer is still a step up from nothing.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 7,827
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I frequent this forum to learn and to get honest opinions about the good and bad concerning various makes of FG trailers .
I own a Casita and when members post their opinion or state their problems with a Casita , I do not look at it as a DIG or criticism but only as a statement of the facts as they see them.
All FG trailers have issues , some common to all trailer and some that apply only to that particular trailer.
I have different expectations from a $60 K Oliver than from a $13 K Scamp . IMHO , when a forum becomes a cheerleading squad for one brand of trailer its' value is diminished .
I own a Casita and a Ram truck , feel free to criticize them as you see fit . I value the information and will learn from it .
Scamp is not as bad as some lead us to believe and the high buck FG trailers are not as good as we are lead to believe.
Brand loyalty often leads to blindly overlooking or making excuses for faults with a product .
Any brand of FG trailer is still a step up from nothing.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Small heaters for small RVs BigAl Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 19 10-29-2013 09:50 PM
How small is small? How about a bicycle/motorhome hybrid? John Mc General Chat 9 11-30-2012 06:42 PM
Looking for a web video of small model car towing a small model traile ronsmith100 General Chat 3 02-14-2009 08:02 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.