13' Scamp on blocks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
13' Scamp on blocks?

I am preparing to live in my 13' Scamp this summer during construction of my house. To make my temporary housing more comfortable I am adding a deck, outhouse with composting toilet, and outdoor shower.

What I forgot is to take the deck height into account. So I will not be able to open the Scamp door unless I put the Scamp way up on blocks, like 12-16" so it would be level with the deck. Is there any good way to do this, what to use for blocks/jack stands that will keep it steady enough to live in?

Attached Thumbnails
Set up.jpg  
RuthWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ordinary concrete blocks are 8"X16"X 8". You can use a common floor jack to lift it at the frame behind the axle and at the tongue. Place the blocks on the frame just behind the axle and just in front of the body on each side.
On a solid base you could use jack stands for additional stabilizers, especially at the rear bumper.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
13" Scamp on blocks?

Would a platform for the Scamp, with ramp for access, work?
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Wood "Jack Stands"

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Ordinary concrete blocks are 8"X16"X 8".
If you use ordinary concrete blocks, be careful how you stack them.

After winterizing my Casita, I thought I would use a pair of concrete blocks to raise it up to get the tires off the ground. After putting one block on end under the curb side just in front of the wheel, the Casita split the top spine on the block as I was jacking up the other side of the Casita.

Back at my scrap pile, I cut some pieces of 2x4s into 10½" lengths and stacked & bolted them nine high to get the required height. Here's a link to the final product (pictured on the right).
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp on blocks?

Personally I’d rather use jack stands. One, they won’t break. Two, they’re height adjustable. Three, they’re inexpensive (not as cheap as blocks, of course, but the smallest ones from Walmart are plenty to support a 13’ Scamp).

As Floyd said, you might need solid blocks underneath so they don’t sink in, flat pavers, maybe. Two just behind the axles and two toward the front, plus the rear stabilizers.

Something to block under the door would be nice, too. That area gets a lot of stress, and the frame is rather weak there. That would be a better use for a cinder block with boards on top spanning the threshold.

I love your little docking station!!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #6

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
I like the ramp idea. I have put my Boler up on blocks in the past but never lived in it while up. Also, after a winter, the blocks had sunk. Figure that human traffic would equate to a season of snow to do the same. Besides, this way, if we come out from under social distancing, you could actually roll the trailer out for a bit.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
13' Scamp on blocks?

With ramps, wouldn’t the weight still be on the wheels? Seems to me you want most of the weight off the wheels.

I have used my Scamp as a home office while up on jack stands. Worked beautifully- nice and solid.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
Unless the trailer was properly supported, I would keep the wheels on and use jack stands to level and ease the weight on the wheels. I know from experience and from stories told that jack stands are temporary solutions.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryB. View Post
If you use ordinary concrete blocks, be careful how you stack them.

After winterizing my Casita, I thought I would use a pair of concrete blocks to raise it up to get the tires off the ground. After putting one block on end under the curb side just in front of the wheel, the Casita split the top spine on the block as I was jacking up the other side of the Casita.

Back at my scrap pile, I cut some pieces of 2x4s into 10½" lengths and stacked & bolted them nine high to get the required height. Here's a link to the final product (pictured on the right).
Sounds like you were standing the blocks on end? That never even occurred to me.
If two jack stands, a supported tongue jack, and four short columns of concrete blocks won't support a 13' Scamp, then You better NEVER even consider entering a mobile home.

Even with two people on board a Scamp13 weighs less than Pinto sedan.
Supported as designed with four cross stacked 16"X16" short columns, the webbed blocks should support many times the weight of a Scamp13.
At a dollar a piece we're talking $24 for 24" high columns, $16 for a 16" lift.

They do make solid concrete blocks as well to meet your concerns...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp