13" Scamp Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I have a 13' Scamp (Mid 80's)
I'am looking for ride height information from other scamp owners.
My back bumper from the bottom of the bumper to the ground is 12 1/2" and my wheel arch to the ground is 18" (see photo)
Is it possable to adjust the torsion axle if this ride height is to low?
Click image for larger version

Name:	measure.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	10813
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Is it possible to adjust the torsion axle if this ride height is to low?
Not with the vast majority of rubber torsion axles, such as Dexter and Al-Ko products. The Flexiride (in all but some small sizes) has a splined connection at the base of the arm so it can be placed in different positions to provide adjustment, but the rest are fixed at one "starting angle".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mid-80s Scamp is 20 years old. Time probably for an new axle. More than one way to change the height!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Mid-80s Scamp is 20 years old. Time probably for an new axle. More than one way to change the height!
Well, not without some welding there isn't What Donna refers to is that with a replacement axle, the down-angle can be changed to give more road clearance, plus a spacer can be welded between the existing or replacement axle and frame to lift the body. If the body is lifted enough, in either manner, it may be possible to install larger tires and wheels for increased height.

With torsion axles, the angles and dimensions of everything are permanently set at manufacture and are not adjustable. And 20 years is a long time...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
As Donna said, a new axle. I have a 1983 Scamp 13'. The measurements on it are: 17 inches from the bottom of the bumper to the ground, and 23 inches from the top of the arc of the wheel well to the ground. Yes, I have replaced the axle (about 10 years ago already!). It is a good investment of @ $300 as you get all new bearings, brakes, and suspension. You may be surprised at how well the trailer rides, and it is nice to step up to get into it. A side effect of the higher ride height is if you have an awning, you get increased headroom under it. Anyway, hope it helps.
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
How can you tell if the torsion axle needs to be replaced? What should I look for besides age?
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just had the axel replaced by Scamp in my 82 scamp 13. The swing arms face foreward on my camper. Before the axel was changed the swing arms pointed up about 15 degrees and you barely saw any of the rubber above the rim. I also had to fight to get the tire in and out of the wheel well when changing tires. The new axel swing arm points down 22 degrees. You will not believe how much better the trailer pulls and rides. Now when I open the camper door after towing everything is where it should be not in the floor. I also just added stablizer legs from J.C. Whitney to the back bumper of the 13. I let the tounge jack down as far as it will go down, I extend the stablizers all the way out, then raise the jack all the way to the top. This allows me to store the trailer with no weight on the axel.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Kevin, my 72 Boler has the same ride hieght as your's, I to question these dimensions as being sagging after all.... 35 years. I am considering doing an axle swap but concerned about the increased step into the trailer, currently about 11in. I like the fact its not a huge step and having a young child its easy for her to manage. Safety is priority with me, but is age simply the only reason it tows great! Do others have similar ride height?

Brad
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp