16' Scamp stolen from Colfax, NC distributor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
16' Scamp stolen from Colfax, NC distributor

Just saw this post on Craigslist. A fellow Scamper has their 16' 2019 Scamp stolen from the local Camping World repair lot. The complete ad is here:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...194566513.html

I am local to them and will be keeping a lookout for any Scamps, but it probably is out of state by now. I will inform them that I have posted this on the forum, and I hope the perps can be caught and the trailer returned. Keep your Scamps locked up!!

Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
cross referenced to https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...day-93682.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #3
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
16’ Scamp stolen from Colfax, NC

Be sure you get a written statement/receipt from any dealer/repalr shop that they have a secure place to keep your Scamp when you leave it with them. Also supply your hitch locks or whatever you use for security and note them on the written statement. That will make it easier for you if you try to hold them financially responsible for any damage/loss and if they know it, they will be more likely to ensure your property is safe. If you don’t, recouping your loss if they let anything happen to it will be more difficult if not impossible. We all know, trying to win in court is a ‘crap shoot.’ So just try to avoid problems in the 1st place.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
Just saw this post on Craigslist. A fellow Scamper has their 16' 2019 Scamp stolen from the local Camping World repair lot. The complete ad is here:

https://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/...194566513.html

I am local to them and will be keeping a lookout for any Scamps, but it probably is out of state by now. I will inform them that I have posted this on the forum, and I hope the perps can be caught and the trailer returned. Keep your Scamps locked up!!

Derswede
Camping World does not keep your RV safe. They sit in an open parking lot most of the time. There were several stolen from the parking lot in Fountain, CO a couple of years ago. They still don't put them behind a fence. You usually sign a paper and it says that they are not responsible for any damages or theft of the RV. So take your repair jobs to places that keep them fenced or inside.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Be sure you get a written statement/receipt from any dealer/repalr [sic] shop that they have a secure place to keep your Scamp when you leave it with them. ...
I dont know of any repair shop that would give you that piece of paper. In fact its usually the opposite, they make you sign a work order that includes language that they are not responsible for theft on their lot. If you don't care to sign that work order, they wont accept your job.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
OTA, my local utility trailer shop where I've had work done on my FGRV HAS a locked compound with a tall fence, etc. When I had my FGRV there for a couple of days, they had it either IN the locked compound or IN the locked building.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
I guess I would walk out and keep looking for one I could trust. $16,000 (for mine) is a lot to hand over without a guarantee. If they lose business maybe they’ll put up a fence.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp